Author Topic: Started the breather mod  (Read 2999 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: February 05, 2011, 02:19:50 am
Hey everyone, got bored tonight so i figured it was time to scope out the breather set up on my 07 and see if any mess was waiting. Bought it used with 201 miles and it had the Goldstar pipe with a K+N cone on the stock Micarb. Breather set up was all stock so it had the supply and return lines from the oil tank to catch can, then catch can to timing chest. The vent tube that would have gone to the stock air box was just open and i had a clamped a little universal breather filter to it. Anyway, i pulled the battery and such for easy access and pulled the supply line from the oil tank to catch can. I was happy to see no oil whatsoever in the line. Im thinking it was never over filled with oil, only ridden in warmer temps, and not pushed hard. i didn't pull off the catch since i knew it would be empty as the supply hose was bone dry and didn't even have an oil smell:). I reversed the hose as recommended here and i can see what a difference that would  make alone. No kinks or weird bends ya know. Buttoned it all up and now i just gotta figure out what to do with the return line. Maybe ill cap off the timing chest nipple and run the return hose with a duckbill to the chain like mentioned.  What a fun little bike to work on. I love the fact that you can be doing something and have a bunch of stuff removed in no time!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:26 am
Yer gonna fit in purty good.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:56:16 pm
 Part of the fun of ownership is that you can tinker and try different things out..    When I was working construction one of my coworkers gave me the advice "There is nothing you can break that you can't fix".  Within reason I found this to be correct.   Enjoy your tinkering,  Enfields are like big erector sets.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:23:25 pm
Thanks guys. The bike definitely welcomes tinkering. Its kinda cool to be able to see how things work and almost have a dummy approach to it etc. My other bike, a Yamaha Roadliner, is completely opposite. Its a beauty and i love it of course but working on it is not so fun. EFI and a pain to do lots of stuff. I did laugh however to find out that the Roadliner is not the only bike to have 3 oil drain plugs haha.

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:45:43 pm
 My bike seemed to run cooler & smoother without all that catchcan stuff. Plugged the timing chest port with a short piece of hose with a valve stem cap stuck in the end and ran the other hose overboard with the catchcan duckbill on the end. Joe
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:45:13 pm
My bike seemed to run cooler & smoother without all that catchcan stuff. Plugged the timing chest port with a short piece of hose with a valve stem cap stuck in the end and ran the other hose overboard with the catchcan duckbill on the end. Joe

Cool, good to hear. So what did you do again on the timing side? I get the timing chest plug part, but what about the other end of the return hose on the catch can side? Did you send it out back or make it a chain oiler? Does the can have a duckbill built in? didn't take that apart so im not sure ya know. Thanks

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:57 am
Cool, good to hear. So what did you do again on the timing side? I get the timing chest plug part, but what about the other end of the return hose on the catch can side? Did you send it out back or make it a chain oiler? Does the can have a duckbill built in? didn't take that apart so im not sure ya know. Thanks

The can has a short little duckbill inside it, and if you take the top off the can, you can pull it off the stub inside there, and use it on the end of your breather hose, after you delete the catch can.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
  • 2006 Bullet 500 Deluxe and 1943 WD CO
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:11:34 pm
ok, so I attach the duckbill breather (from in the catchcan) to the end of the breather hose?  And where does the breather hose go?  back towards the chain?  Do I just remove the catchcan altogether at this point?

What do I do about the hose that leads from the catchcan to my airbox?

Thanks!

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:37:30 am
ok, so I attach the duckbill breather (from in the catchcan) to the end of the breather hose?  And where does the breather hose go?  back towards the chain?  Do I just remove the catchcan altogether at this point?

What do I do about the hose that leads from the catchcan to my airbox?

Thanks!

Hey, from my undertsanding with all the asking around is that the can comes off completely, you keep the supply/outlet hose from the oil tank and attach a duckbill to the end. You can point it at the chain or all the way out the back base of the rear fender in which you will need more hose of course. The return line port on the timing chest gets capped somehow of your choice, My bike has a K+N cone filter(no stock air box) so that clear hose at that point would come off with the can etc. If you still have the stock air box and you remove the catch can then it will be disposed of with it anyway etc. At that poinjt i would assume you could just cap the nipple on the back of the airbox, might not even have to, not sure. Thats what i have come up with so far but im sure the pros will straighten anything out that i butchered ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:49:06 am
Br. greekxj has it right. The only things I have to add are:

(a) if your running the stock squarish-rectangular air filter box  A.K.A. "Tea Caddy" then, yes plug or cap the nipple fitting on the back.
(2) welcome aboard wfanjoy and congrats on your Bullet  :D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:37:50 am
Here is the breather on my 07, I have it running out the rear..

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:22:35 am
Thanks a ton, Ice and Greeksj!  I'll get it all done this weekend. 

Another question:  When checking my oil level this morning, I was stunned to find that my oil was the consistancy of butter!  Any ideas?  Three weeks ago, I replaced my 25 pilot jet with a 30 pilot jet and replaced my 110 main jet with a 127.5.  The bike runs BEAUTIFULLY with the new jets, but could that be my problem?  And how do I drain oil that is like butter?

Thanks again.  Bill (wfanjoy) 

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:49 am
The oil was butter like ? or is there goop in the dip stick opening ?

Condensation is the bane of the Bullet this time of year.
A good warm up followed by a long ride helps keep the moisture levels down and lessen the formation of goop. 

No matter where you go, there, you are.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:21 am

What Ice said.....
you wouldn't want to leave it all winter like that but I'm guessing you'll go on a
good ride and cook that moisture out soon enuff. Your jetting sounds close.
once the roads are clear do your plug chops and see. I had to drop down
from the 30 to a 27.5 cause there was a little popping on throttle roll from
idle when it was good and warm. My silencer was the drilled thru bazooka,
not the goldstar so that may be the difference.
     There is a tendency to "over fiddle" on these things. Sometimes our
fix is worse than the symptom.  repeat after me....
    "If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"
               - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

'45 WD CO

• '43 WD Enfield
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 01:29:15 pm
Thanks, Mike and Ice.  Yep, it's goop on the stick, so I'll try taking it for a ride today to see what happens.  Bill