Author Topic: adjusting idle  (Read 7816 times)

randombikerdude

• USA Rider
  • Scooter
on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:12 pm
idle seems to be running low on my Electra, how do I adjust it?

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25:42 pm
If you look at the carb from the left side of the bike, you will see a big verticle screw.  Tighten it to increase idle speed.  No tools needed, it's meant to be adjusted with your fingers.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:47:09 am
Do not do that, as you aren't adjusting idle but simply increasing throttle.

First, wiggle the carb about and tighten up all of the hose clamps on the rubber mounting bits.  I don't care if they're already tight.  Unscrew them a little bit, re-snug the carb into the engine, and tighten them again.  We don't want any errors with this.  Then, warm the bike up.  I don't care how you do it, just do it.  Maybe take it out for a short jaunt.  If it's winter, you want the condensation from the exhaust pipe to be almost completely evaporated.  Then, put a brand new spark plug in.  They're only like $1.25, and you want to start completely fresh.  You can not skip this step, as an improperly tuned carb will only mess with the plug, which will cause to to tune it improperly again.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Put the bike on the centerstand, and adjust the big thumbscrew down as far as it will go without killing the bike.  If you have a tach installed, you're looking for 600-800 RPM max.  I know the AVL is supposed to idle at 1,000 +/- 100 RPM, but this is a special case.  Then take a flathead screwdriver and screw the small screw (a fuel screw on the Mikuni CV carb, but most here will call it an air adjuster/air screw, because that's how all of the other carbs on Enfields work) all the way in, clockwise. 

The bike will die.  That's okay.  If you are paying attention, you may be able to grab the decomp just-in-time to keep it from potentially fragging your sprag, though I've killed my bike plenty of times without the decomp and I've been fine.  Unscrew that small screw you just did out 1 and 1/4 full turns total.  Kickstart the bike up and see if it will idle.  If it idles nicely with the warm engine, you're done.  If not, unscrew it in 1/4 increments (adding more fuel into the idle/pilot circuit) until the idle is where you want.  Then and only then do you fine-tune with the big screw.  If you have to unscrew it more than 2.5 turns, I would BARELY adjust the thumbscrew up a bit, and start over.  You're aiming for 800-1100 RPM at idle, though the stickers on the bike and the manual want 1,000 RPM for the AVL it's pretty safe down to 800.  600 is too little, and you run the risk of killing the bike at stops, and the alternator works for shit below 700 RPM, but 900 seems to put the ammeter just into the +charge side with a 50W headlight on.

The big screw only sets the stop for the throttle.  If you adjust that too high you will easily take the carb out of the pilot circuit and into the needle circuit, which bypasses the idle circuit, making it useless and making the bike jump it's idle around way too much depending on engine temp and air temp.  This is a Bad Thing (tm).  Properly tweaking with the pilot fuel screw will ensure a nicely idling bike with no chance of messing it up when you have to do an 'on the fly' adjustment with the big thumbscrew.

By adjusting it too high with the thumbscrew you will also run the risk of fouling the sparkplug at "idle," potentially causing the bike to die, or leaning it out at "idle," causing overheating problems, in traffic or at lights.  These, too, are Bad Things (tm).  You don't want to have to rely on electric start or a kickstart at a stop light, and people will laugh at you if you have to pull over.  Being laughed at is also a Bad Thing (tm), and avoiding it is the best course of action.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:55:22 am
Do not do that, as you aren't adjusting idle but simply increasing throttle.

First, wiggle the carb about and tighten up all of the hose clamps on the rubber mounting bits.  I don't care if they're already tight.  Unscrew them a little bit, re-snug the carb into the engine, and tighten them again.  We don't want any errors with this.  Then, warm the bike up.  I don't care how you do it, just do it.  Maybe take it out for a short jaunt.  If it's winter, you want the condensation from the exhaust pipe to be almost completely evaporated.  Then, put a brand new spark plug in.  They're only like $1.25, and you want to start completely fresh.  You can not skip this step, as an improperly tuned carb will only mess with the plug, which will cause to to tune it improperly again.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Put the bike on the centerstand, and adjust the big thumbscrew down as far as it will go without killing the bike.  If you have a tach installed, you're looking for 600-800 RPM max.  I know the AVL is supposed to idle at 1,000 +/- 100 RPM, but this is a special case.  Then take a flathead screwdriver and screw the small screw (a fuel screw on the Mikuni CV carb, but most here will call it an air adjuster/air screw, because that's how all of the other carbs on Enfields work) all the way in, clockwise.  

The bike will die.  That's okay.  If you are paying attention, you may be able to grab the decomp just-in-time to keep it from potentially fragging your sprag, though I've killed my bike plenty of times without the decomp and I've been fine.  Unscrew that small screw you just did out 1 and 1/4 full turns total.  Kickstart the bike up and see if it will idle.  If it idles nicely with the warm engine, you're done.  If not, unscrew it in 1/4 increments (adding more fuel into the idle/pilot circuit) until the idle is where you want.  Then and only then do you fine-tune with the big screw.  If you have to unscrew it more than 2.5 turns, I would BARELY adjust the thumbscrew up a bit, and start over.  You're aiming for 800-1100 RPM at idle, though the stickers on the bike and the manual want 1,000 RPM for the AVL it's pretty safe down to 800.  600 is too little, and you run the risk of killing the bike at stops, and the alternator works for shit below 700 RPM, but 900 seems to put the ammeter just into the +charge side with a 50W headlight on.

The big screw only sets the stop for the throttle.  If you adjust that too high you will easily take the carb out of the pilot circuit and into the needle circuit, which bypasses the idle circuit, making it useless and making the bike jump it's idle around way too much depending on engine temp and air temp.  This is a Bad Thing (tm).  Properly tweaking with the pilot fuel screw will ensure a nicely idling bike with no chance of messing it up when you have to do an 'on the fly' adjustment with the big thumbscrew.

By adjusting it too high with the thumbscrew you will also run the risk of fouling the sparkplug at "idle," potentially causing the bike to die, or leaning it out at "idle," causing overheating problems, in traffic or at lights.  These, too, are Bad Things (tm).  You don't want to have to rely on electric start or a kickstart at a stop light, and people will laugh at you if you have to pull over.  Being laughed at is also a Bad Thing (tm), and avoiding it is the best course of action.
Wow! Next time I'm tempted to reach down  with my gloved hand to adjust my warm engine idle,  I'll try and remember some of that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:58:00 am by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 08:00:38 am
In emergency situations, like say it's -20*C outside and you need to keep the bike idling until it's warm, or you've fouled a plug lugging it up a hill at 2,400RPM and it's gonna kick it, I will always use the big thumbscrew to keep it going.  But if you need to adjust with it almost every ride (or almost every stop) to keep the bike running, something is wrong and it needs to be fixed.  

Not being stern, I just wish everyone happy riding and (semi)-reliable bikes to do it with  ;D

Also, what's with everyone else being up at 1AM like I am on a Thursday night?  I can't be the only recently-unemployed person here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:03:35 am by Rosetap »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:14:43 pm
Also, what's with everyone else being up at 1AM like I am on a Thursday night?  I can't be the only recently-unemployed person here.
Sorry to hear about being out of work. Hope something shows up for you soon.

Remember , your 1am, may not be everyones 1am.  ;)
http://www.worldtimezone.com/
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:22:07 pm
enfield motorcycles the site that never sleeps.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
My bike is brand new, only have about 50 miles on it.  When I start it cold (kick or E/S) it runs for a few second then will die unless I give it a little throttle.  I think I've found the culprit, which is that when I pull out the choke (it's an '09 electra AVL), it only stays out for a second or two on it's own, then will disengage itself before the bike is warm/idling steadily.  I've been making sure to hold out the choke with my fingers to let the bike idle high enough not to stall.

Is there a way to solve this lazy idle or should I go ahead and do Rosetap's method above?  Also, if I do rosetap's method, should I really buy a new spark plug?  Mine's practically brand new...  (i'm ok with either way, it's only a few bucks and would let me ride out to the shop again).  Just don't want to do the extra steps if it's not necessary in my situation.

Loving the bike and the life-

Chuck

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:31:50 am
Superchuck, I noticed that even the fuel injected models have a "choke". It is really just a fast idle warm-up lever but it would not stay on either. With so few miles I would not mess with a carb or plug. What happens if you hold the "choke" on for a minute or two after you start it?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 02:52:48 am
>uck<
>snrk<
uh...
>gack<

ewww.  I hate when I fall asleep with my mouth open...

Just turn the ding-dong thumb screw until you get the idle yoou want.
If you have to hold the chock knob out for a minute, commit the crime AFTER you warm the bike up.  Otherwise, what's your rush?  Practice your breathing exercises. 
With a window open, of course.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 03:26:27 am
Thanks on both accounts.   So far I've been doing the 'just hold the choke on and take in the scenery for a few minutes' technique and it's been working.  I also remember experiencing a strangely high idle later in the ride yesterday.  I think it's a good approach for me to just keep riding and getting used to operating the bike before changing things from the factory setup.

chuck

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:14 am
Idle needs to be adjusted after you've been riding for a half hour or so.  If you set it cold, it will speed up as the engine reaches operating temperature. 
Maybe use a clothes pin to hold the choke in place.  ?
Also try twisting the knob one way or the other.  (That woeked for me)
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:33:14 am
 Idle speed adjustment screw is mounted vertically on the left side of the carb with a spring surrounding it.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:17:52 pm
Thanks, yeah i found the idle adjustment screw and I'll tweak that a bit once I ride this evening.  I'll also try twisting the choke knob and see if that does anything.  thanks-

randombikerdude

• USA Rider
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 03:27:21 pm
Don't bother ordering from CMW, I placed a order on the 16th of last month for a few things including filters and still hasn't shipped.