Author Topic: AVL Sprag- cold weather & prevention  (Read 3552 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:52 pm
Both of mine -as counterpoint to Mr Ice- were made of fine crystal.
I suspect the biggest problem is buried somewhere in the fact that the E-start wasn't designed along with the engine- it was added on to appeal to new innocents potential owners.  It would be nice if they had retractable teth like my lawn mower.  Maybe that's what Mr Ice is talking about/wishing for?

I'm pretty sure you get what you get.
Turns out i don't miss mine.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:26:31 pm
Both of mine -as counterpoint to Mr Ice- were made of fine crystal.
I suspect the biggest problem is buried somewhere in the fact that the E-start wasn't designed along with the engine- it was added on to appeal to new innocents potential owners.  It would be nice if they had retractable teth like my lawn mower.  Maybe that's what Mr Ice is talking about/wishing for?

I'm pretty sure you get what you get.
Turns out i don't miss mine.

Good point Uncle.

Many RE riders have been successfully kick starting their bikes since,,,,,,1901 ;D

Not to mention "cool factor" is inversely proportional to E/S usage.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:22 am
I just recalled the time I parked my Indian with some other riders at a place for breakfast.  Everyone mills around and looks...
When i was leaving, someone walked up and asked, "What's that paddle do?"

Apparently kick-starting difficulties are endemic in the minds of most people to any form of kick-starting.  Probably due to having watched old BSA's and Harleys that were flooded.  When I begin, I always get people with a worried look on their faces as they wait to see what happens.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 02:59:46 pm
Thanks, yeah I'm planning on kickstarting it- i was more worried about the consequences of stalling on start or stop but it seems like there's no way to tell if you've got a fragile sprag or not.  Just fix it if it breaks-

I received my super factory manual the other day compliments of mbevo1 and the US postal service so I now have some visual understanding to go along with this theorized technical prose.