Author Topic: Potential First Bike??  (Read 9657 times)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:29 am
Hey all,

I'm brand new here.  I've got the opportunity to get a brand new (from dealer with warrantee etc) 2009 Electra AVL.  I have next to none prior experience tooling on cars/bikes, but am mechanically minded and a DIY'er when it comes to a lot of things.  I live in Baltimore, MD and the bike would be mainly for getting around town, and occasionally for commuting to my job outside of DC (about 40 miles) in addition to country roads on weekends.

Basically, I had a dude in another forum say to steer clear of the bike, I'm guessing mainly because of the maintenance that goes with owning a RE.  I've read up a little on this forum and I haven't been scared away yet but wanted some advice from you seasoned veterans before grabbing up the bike.  The dealership (small family run place) is closed til 2/10 for vacation and that's the day I was planning on taking a trailer over, checking it out, and picking it up.

I've read here about getting the various manuals and reading and learning the bike, but I wanted to hear some opinions from all of you if you think this would be a good beginner bike. 

I took my MSF course this past fall and only rode the Buell Blasts there.  I felt very comfortable with the blasts and ended up riding them pretty hard to test their limits (dragging pegs on the course, etc).  I love the style of RE's and would also like to learn how to maintain it, but what it comes down to is that I'm new to riding, don't have any friends nearby who tool on bikes, and I don't want to be maintaining it more than I'm riding it.  Should I get this bike, and how much/how often should I expect it to be malfunctioning on me?  I also novicely suspect that it being a brand new bike it'll be relatively care free for a while (after doing all that stuff like the break in and changing the fork oil, tightening all the bolts the factory forgot to) but I may be totally wrong. 

Any help you can give me will be much appreciated and I can't wait to get riding (on an RE or even something else).

Cheers,

Chuck

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:11:31 am
Welcome to the forum.
I got my 2007 Electra AVL a couple of years ago as my first bike. I have no regrets.
Mine was second hand so I didn't have to break it in but I understand the first few hundred miles are quite important. You'll get loads of advice from the forum here regarding the crucial break in period.

These bikes were designed to be maintained by the user. So far, I've had to fit a new clutch cable and battery, repair a couple of broken brackets, change a few bulbs and tidy up the wiring loom (which is a bit of a rats nest). Along with tyre changes, fluid changes and tappets, thats just about it. Stuff you would have to do on pretty much any bike.

I have suffered the dreaded sprag failure (see other posts for details).

As for being a good bike for an inexperienced rider; I can only say that its ideal. Light and relatively small, it encourages careful, sedate riding. Not ideal for racing or knee dragging it will allow you time to gain riding  experience and reduce the temptation to exceed your abilities. It wouldn't be fair to compare the handling/performance with a Buell but for town and back roads its brilliant.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:58:18 am
Actually, the first 3,000 miles is probably the most labor intensive.  You need to take it frustratingly slow, and change the oil more often, go around and check for loose nuts, suffer anxiety about "am I doing the right thing at the right time", and that's when (mostly) any defective parts will show themselves (for me it was the sprag, a pot metal throttle perch broke when I over-tightened it, and the muffler stay broke that I just had re-welded).  OTOH, my new BMW was in the shop with warranty work more than the Enfield had problems.  Go figure.   Machines just go through a "shake-down" period at first.  After that, the bike REALLY smooths out, you can go at normal speeds, you feel more comfortable with maintenance issues, and things have settled into a relative routine.

Right now I'm waiting for a tool to come in from England to get a part off that shouldn't be so hard.  CMW should have it in stock, but they just don't.  Things like this are frustrating, but... shiite happens.  What can I say?  It's a PITA, but following the step-by-step instructions makes it easier- rather than looking at the whole job and throwing up my hands in frustration and anxuety.

Royal Enfield is aware of it's reputation.  The T-shirt dsys, "Makes a mechanic out of an ordinary man".  The new and improved comany makes a great effort to improve on that, but they are also proud of the tradition.  Actually- so am I.
For sure, ebay and CL is full of frustrated semi-owners.  I have 40 years of riding under my belt, and out of the 3 bikes I currently own, I'm somewhat surprised that I like my Musketball the best.

It sure isn't for everyone, though.  There's only one way to find out...
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:43:29 pm
I'm the kind of guy who likes to get very into hobbies, reading as much as I can, living and breathing the stuff.  On one hand I look forward to joining this Enfield lifestyle, but without anyone in person to assist and give advice on troubleshooting the other side of me worries it'll be more of a headache than I've bargained for.  I'm still leaning towards getting the bike. 

Anyone else have some input?  Any comments you have will help...

Chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:08:10 pm
Welcome aboard Superchuck,

The AVL machines are much better, more reliable more durable than my Iron Barrel here's why.

Full roller bearing crank of pressed construction with bigger crank pin, forged steel connecting rod ,alloy barrel, quench chamber head, needle bearing on shaft mounted rockers, high volume gear rotor oil pumps, electronic ignition, CV carb better shocks and front disc brakes.

They will cruise safely and comfortably at 60-65 mph all day and return 70-75 MPG while doing it .

Quoting Br. ScooterBob;
"I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it ..... "

If I had to pick one word to describe the Bullet it would be versatile.
It does every thing I need a bike to do, takes me every where I need to go and some places I probably shouldn't. Mine drags the foot pegs in the twisties just as easily as it negotiates cow paths.

If you the Bullet stirs your soul to the point of keeping you up at night and overlooking other bikes then the odds favor you and it being right for each other.

If not then it might be wise to keep your options open at least.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:17:30 pm
I'm the kind of guy who likes to get very into hobbies, reading as much as I can, living and breathing the stuff. 
So are the rest of us  ;)

On one hand I look forward to joining this Enfield lifestyle, but without anyone in person to assist and give advice on troubleshooting the other side of me worries it'll be more of a headache than I've bargained for.  I'm still leaning towards getting the bike. 

A grizzled dirt track racer once told me,
 "If it has T1t$ or tires sooner or later its gonna give you trouble"

Get the service manual and the parts book, you also have the forum (with search function !) and the brothers.

Anyone else have some input?  Any comments you have will help...

Chuck

There is a reason that I put more miles on my Enfield on one week than I do on my Harley in a year.  ;)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:57 pm
Scooterboob left out an imprtant niche;  whack-jobs.

I can only think of one member here who wasn't- and he quit. 
Just being unltra religious (pparently convieniently leaving out the WWJD part) Republican doesn't necessarily make you the right KIND of whack-job... ?

The way this worm bores into your brain, the very fact that you're asking these questions tells me it's only a matter of time until you rationalize away the sensible thing to do.  You'll have an RE within the year.

To answer your next question; Yes, the AVL is better than the UCE (as well as the iron barrel).   
BTW- the Electra is the perfect choice in case you want to use rear-sets.
Run what ya brung

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 03:16:15 pm
Welcome aboard Superchuck.  I would second all the advice and opinions above and just add my own two cents worth.  I bought a 2006 Electra AVL as my "first motorcycle."  I had never been interested in the "crotch rockets" and overly loud bikes I had seen.  One day I stopped by a Royal Enfield dealer with some of my friends and immediately felt the pull of the RE.  I looked at the bike and said to myself, "I can see me riding this."  It will keep you up at night thinking and dreaming.  But the best part is when you actually get yours.  Mine was a 60th birthday present to myself, so like a couple of the forum members, I was a late bloomer.  I had a fair amount of automobile DIY experience, including rebuilding engines and manual transmissions, so I wasn't afraid to tackle the maintenance on the RE.  Turns out, I haven't really needed to do much.  LIke most, I've suffered a sprag failure, but it's more fun to kickstart anyway.  Just do the breakin very carefully, follow the manual and suggestions from the vast experience on this board, and the bike will reward you with the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  The Electra is a good first bike and as noted above, becomes the favorite even when other rides are available.  Go for it.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 04:02:17 pm
Hey Chuck!
Welcome to the forum. I'm just gonna pile on by saying that an RE makes a GREAT first bike. Here's a little of my story. About eight years ago, a motorcycling friend at work had a brochure lying around with a photo of an iron barreled classic on the front. I was like "whoa, they still make bikes like that?" "Can I borrow this?" (shame on you for what you're thinking  ;) :D). Right then and there I knew I was getting one. One small problem though. I never even rode a motorcycle before, much less acquired all "the knowledge" of how to take care for one. It didn't matter. Little by little I let the idea germinate until I could take the MSF class. In the meantime I bought the Pete Snydal book and wore out the pages and came on this forum and asked a whole lotta questions to which everybody responded helpfully. By the way, if you're new to motorbikes, another GREAT book is Mark Zimmerman's "Essential guide to motorcycle maintenance". It'll take some of the scariness out of it for you.
Anyway, back to the bike. Sometime around late 2007, the word was, they were discontinuing the iron barrel. That lit a fire under my ass. Started calling around to dealers. The closest one was 60 miles away, on the east end of Long Island. Long story short, he had about eight on display and "come on down". Sho' nuff, when I got there, he had 'em all. A military (fully dressed out), some chromey deluxes in different colors, a standard classic in either black or green, a couple of AVL Electra's, and one "Bullet Sixty-5" in magic black.
Now from the time I first laid eyes on that brochure a few years back, I had variously fantasized myself on each of them, never really settling on one in my mind. Now, with all those gorgeous bikes in front of me, and a down payment burning a hole as they say, they all disappeared except for one. The Sixty-5.
Passed the MSF class that March. Paid off the bike. Living happily ever after. My point is, life is short. Live with passion. Just get the bike.
Chuck.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:28:38 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 04:09:05 pm
As i figured, talking to a community full of die-hard-hands-down Enfield 'lifers' isn't exactly the way to be talked out of buying the bike.

You can consider me one of you now.  I can't pick up the bike til the Tenth, but I'm going to order those maintenance guides on my lunch break and it's safe to say there's no turning back.

Anything else I should know?  I'm going to do a lot of searching about the break-in procedures, but any off-hand comments or into would still be great.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 04:22:19 pm
Ride it like you stole it. And wear a helmet.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:05 pm
One more thing. Change your oil every 1000 miles without fail.
Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 04:36:02 pm
Well,

My 07 was my first bike and now I have 3.. Obsessive, well yes...

Have you talked to your dealer about picking it up on the 3rd?  Keep in mind that most dealers will need to prep a the bike, it may take a few days..

When I bought mine I called ahead and asked what they had on the floor,   the dealer told me and gave me a run down on prices..  As my dealer was over 70 miles away I drove down on Saturday with my truck thinking I was going to grab it and take it home.  Well, my dealer was a really good guy and said he had to prep the bike, and it would be a few days to make sure everything was in order..  Uggg,,  ...

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

CCTXCN

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 04:42:04 pm
Chuck, I was in the same place 5 months ago. I never have a motorcycle as a kid my father was a Highway Patrolman he said to dangerous! After retiring from the Navy a friend and fellow retired CPO got me into one of his MSF courses. I had a ball people were friendly and when it came to buying my own bike the wife had a Money limit. The Money didn't matter after seeing a Royal Enfield I bought one online from a dealer in Washington state had it shipped to Texas. Friends directed me to a local cycle shop that showed me how to do things i got a service Manuel. Now I ride Evey chance I get have had little problems that with the help of this forum I've sorted it out. Look at old post you will find someone has had the same problem and how to fix it.
Get full safety gear helmet, proper jacket and paints (jeans do not stop road rash!) and start slow and have fun! My 08 Electra is fast enough but not so much to get me into trouble!

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 06:30:03 pm
Helmet: check. and it's a neon yellow full face so those DC/Maryland drivers can see me even while they're texting.

Was thinking jeans so far but i know they suck on falls.  Too hot here in the summers and i don't think i'd wear leather pants even if it would help me get chicks.  Wait, i have a wife, nevermind.

Oil changes: doublecheck

Thanks everyone and I'm gonna start searching on break-in procedures for the AVL.

Chuck

CCTXCN

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 07:19:54 pm
Two words for the summer MESH GEAR!

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:07:43 pm
Yeah i'm about to order this neon yellow mesh jacket by tour masters (i like looking like a clown).  It's got the quilted zip-in layer for warmth and another zip-in waterproof liner.  are there mesh pants too? thinkin i'm gonna stick with jeans for now but if there are decent mesh cordura pants i might go that way instead... it'd be even breezier...

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:03 pm
I have a Tour Master draft jacket, wear it when the temp gets over about 75 or so (most of the year here) and love it.  The padding works well and I am happy I had it for my last low speed get off...  Don't forget a few nice sets of gloves, I have the Royal Enfield ones for weather below 75 and mesh for above 75....   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:29 pm
thanks yeah i've got some good cowhide gloves with some carbon fiber knuckle things and flat metal studs on the lower palms... figured I'd suck it up and wear em in the heat too but we'll see what summer brings... possibly a second pair of gloves?

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:07 am
Sorry to get real here, but "conspicuiity" is a hopeful wish perpetrated by riders who haven't been hit yet.   Unless you're sitting his his lap and smacking the shiite out of his face repeatedly- do NOT assume a drive sees you.  What you wear has ab-so-lootly nothing to do with being seen.

Blue Loc-Tite comes in gallon jugs, but you have to special-order it.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 12:57:49 am
talking to a community full of die-hard-hands-down Enfield 'lifers' isn't exactly the way to be talked out of buying the bike.

Naah  mate, Not wanting folks to be disappointed we've advised more that a few away from these bikes when it was appearant that deep down they really wanted a UJM (universal Japanese Motorcycle) instead.

My spydy sense detected none of that in your posts  ;)  ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 01:14:21 am
Sorry to get real here, but "conspicuiity" is a hopeful wish perpetrated by riders who haven't been hit yet.   Unless you're sitting his his lap and smacking the shiite out of his face repeatedly- do NOT assume a drive sees you.  What you wear has ab-so-lootly nothing to do with being seen.

Blue Loc-Tite comes in gallon jugs, but you have to special-order it.

Good point !

I will mildly disagree with the last part though.

In the last calender year wearing my OH-My-GOD blindingly bright yellow Icon Moto "geek vest" did,  in my estimation, provide enough stimulus to three distracted drivers to wake them from their doldrums long enough to recognize a rider and alter their course of action.

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:18 am
Good point !

I will mildly disagree with the last part though.

Man, you had me worried. I though you had a problem with gallon jugs of blue locktite for a second there!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 01:47:57 am
Man, you had me worried. I though you had a problem with gallon jugs of blue locktite for a second there!

That was a coffee shootin out mah nose moment !

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:15 am
thinkin i'm gonna stick with jeans for now but if there are decent mesh cordura pants i might go that way instead... it'd be even breezier...

You might want  to check out Sliders or Draggin jeans. They have Kevlar in strategic places. Made for motorcyclists.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 04:01:38 am
You might want  to check out Sliders or Draggin jeans. They have Kevlar in strategic places. Made for motorcyclists.

Good advice. They guys at work all swear by them. ( and give me crap for sweltering in my leather)

http://www.dragginjeans.com/

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:43 am

Was thinking jeans so far but i know they suck on falls. 

Chuck
Chuck,
Try these, I own a pair and has saved my behind, literally, on a few falls.
http://www.dragginjeans.com/

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:12 am
Superchuck, the AVL is clearly a better bike than the iron barrel, but the newer UCE is better still.  The Sprag failures are legend. 

I was more of a wimp and bought the 2010 UCE C5.  I almost bought an AVL 2008 Electra-X.  I had the check in my wallet and the pickup truck ready to haul it home.  But I relunctantly declined it after a final test ride.  I am now very glad I did.

My point is:  if your heart is set on the AVL and you have a killer deal waiting for you and you are willing to put up with more issues than what a modern motorcyclist expects, then go for it.  Otherwise, the UCE models are the real deal, without the issues of the older Enfields.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:00:57 pm
Kevlar jeans?  Cool I'll check em out.  And Stack,  I hear where you're coming from on the UCE's and that was one of my initial concerns.  Bottom line is that 6-7000 dollars is out of my price rance, especially for my first bike ever which I'm regretfully going to lay down at some point.  I was initially intimidated by the idea of doing ongoing maintenance on a bike, especially since I don't have much prior experience at all.  These are the things that are still keeping me on the AVL:
Price ($4000 as opposed to 6 or 7000)
I like the long 'bench' style seat (not sure what these are called), as I can have my lady-friend join me in the future.
A downside of the AVL or most enfields, would be the maintenance you'll have to do.  On the other hand, I don't feel as daunted by this fact because of the wealth of knowledge here on the forum and in the books.  I initially didn't like the idea of having to work on my bike because I didn't want to be out there on my own with no clue where to start.  I'm seeing that it's not the case, and I feel strongly in my ability to do the required maintenance, and I even look forward to doing this.  I'm beginning to see that it's part of the culture of having an enfield and I'd like to try my hand at it.  Who knows, if this bike gives me an unmanageable amount of problems, maybe I'll be trading it in for a UCE in a few years...  For now, it seems like a great fit for me, and oddly enough I'm looking forward to working on it.

One question though, what led you away from the electra on that last test ride?  I can't see the bikes being that different from eachother, especially in just a 10-20 minute ride from the dealership.

Cheers,

Chuck

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:58 pm
And Stack,  I hear where you're coming from on the UCE's and that was one of my initial concerns.  Bottom line is that 6-7000 dollars is out of my price rance, especially for my first bike ever which I'm regretfully going to lay down at some point.  I was initially intimidated by the idea of doing ongoing maintenance on a bike, especially since I don't have much prior experience at all.  These are the things that are still keeping me on the AVL:
Price ($4000 as opposed to 6 or 7000)
I like the long 'bench' style seat (not sure what these are called), as I can have my lady-friend join me in the future.

A downside of the AVL or most enfields, would be the maintenance you'll have to do.  On the other hand, I don't feel as daunted by this fact because of the wealth of knowledge here on the forum and in the books.  I initially didn't like the idea of having to work on my bike because I didn't want to be out there on my own with no clue where to start.  I'm seeing that it's not the case, and I feel strongly in my ability to do the required maintenance, and I even look forward to doing this.  I'm beginning to see that it's part of the culture of having an enfield and I'd like to try my hand at it.  Who knows, if this bike gives me an unmanageable amount of problems, maybe I'll be trading it in for a UCE in a few years...  For now, it seems like a great fit for me, and oddly enough I'm looking forward to working on it.

One question though, what led you away from the electra on that last test ride?  I can't see the bikes being that different from each other, especially in just a 10-20 minute ride from the dealership.

Cheers,
Chuck
When I returned from the test ride, some things were not right.  There was oil leaking from the top of the motor.  That was a setup issue, I think.  The front fender did not match the back in color as it was supposed to.  The bike would not kickstart, but being new that was probably a matter of technique and tightness of motor.

Understand that I had the check in my wallet ready to pay for it.  The sprag clutch failure was common at the time and it seemed inevitable.  Some patched fixits came later. 

So, I had a feeling to just wait until something better came out.  It did, the UCE.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 02:18:26 am
Sprags on the older motors are indeed a crap shoot.

Not one bit of trouble with the original sprags on Bill Harris's '06 Electra ( he uses the kicker) or my '06 Iron Barrel ( I use the E/S except when showing off )

Many have failed though and some just remove the bits altogether.

I think the sprag itself was purchased from an outside source and varied in quality and  the metallurgy, heat treatment, and tolerances of the rest of the E/S bits was likely inconsistent.   

The UCE is the top shelf but when all said done, design wise the AVL lump has far more going for it than the Iron Barrel.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 04:01:47 am
Yeah I'll definitely consider the UCE when I go to the dealer on thursday- he's got a few in stock, and although it's significantly more expensive, I might be able to justify it if it'll be that much less of a headache. 

On the other hand, are there any tried-and-true mods for the Electra that I could do immediately upon purchase to make sure it's as trouble-free as possible (besides gentle break-in and making sure it has the green TCI box)?

chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 04:35:25 am
Nope, just make sure it has the green TCI box and look after it properly is about all.
 The AVL machines are pretty good. 8) but which ever one you get be prepared for the sudden onset of a chronic condition known as " perma grin"   ;)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:55 am
Yeah I'll definitely consider the UCE when I go to the dealer on thursday- he's got a few in stock, and although it's significantly more expensive, I might be able to justify it if it'll be that much less of a headache. 

On the other hand, are there any tried-and-true mods for the Electra that I could do immediately upon purchase to make sure it's as trouble-free as possible (besides gentle break-in and making sure it has the green TCI box)?
chuck
If you are patient, you can order now and wait for the 2011 Bullet 500 "entry-level" UCE model with $5500 msrp if reports are true.

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 03:17:44 pm
Seems like a decent deal... when is their projected date? 

Also, can anyone attest to the UCE's highway capabilities?  Is it as limited as the iron barrel and electra's (basically not made for highway cruising)?  Or is this something that's been augmented in the new models?  Also, if anyone could speak to the break-in procedures of the UCE that'd be great.... (does it need to be as gentle/gradual as the Electra?  Can you do 'motoman' method?

Thanks,

Chuck

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:43 pm
 No release date or fixed price yet, here's a link to Kevin's announcement post  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,9613.msg109447.html#msg109447

Ducati Scotty rode his C5 from Portland to San Francisco you might search up his thread.

Electra's can handle60-65 mph all day long vs the Iron Barrels50-55, the big difference besides iron or alloy construction is the AVL has a roller bottom end and gear type oil pumps that flow at least four times the amount of oil as I.B. Hi Vol pumps can.

Highway riding ( two to four lane State Routes) is one thing, Freeway riding  ( eight lane, inter state super slabs) is a whole "nother animal.

The I-5 in L.A., the 10 between Tucson and Phoenix, the I-5 near Seattle, the D.C. beltway,the Jersey turnpike,,,,,get an M-1 Abrams tank would be my advice.

If you have your hart set on an 80 mph Bullet you will need a Fireball.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 05:41:07 pm
if by "motorman method" you mean racing the engine right off to set the rings- NO machine deserves that treatment.  Very new technology allows quicker run-in because of better metallurgy and closer tolerances, but you need a "new" German or Japanese machine for that.   Fast run-in is used by racers for racing- and they expect to re-build the lumps often.

The Fireball sure sounds great to me...
but you could buy 2 bikes for what putting the engine together would cost.  
I still recall trying to get more speed/[ower from a 650 engine, and a mechanic finally told me the truth;  get a bigger engine.  As simple as that.
If you want to ride I-5 or I85 into Atlanta, a UCE is probably the way to go.  However, as 85mph doesn't even raise the eyebrows of the State Police, you might want to consider a bigger/newer bike.  For around $4-$5K you can get a real nice 80's BMW, for instance.  

Otherwise, there seems to be only 2 RE deaers I've read about here i would trust to not have to completely re-check the set-up.  Mainly, that's a matter of changing the fork oil, and checking every single nut you can find.  The other thing is- don't be a gorilla.  You've got steel bolts and drain plugs screwing into aluminium.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:55:22 pm by UncleErnie »
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:14 pm
Fireball cost vary depend on exactly what you want and who's doing the assembly.

Chumma7 routinely cruises the mean streets and turnpike of Jersey at 80mph and cracks the ton with his.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 07:05:36 pm
Well!  I just finished the link that Mr Ice provided. 
It frustrates me endlessly that I live in a state of relative poverty.  It sems so fantastic that anyone could afford to modify a Bullet so extensively.  And that UCE Basic (or whatever it was called) sounds wonderful. 
600cc sounds wonderful.  The Bullet really should be able to pull a sidecar without apologies, too.

All that said, I try to imagine trading my AVL for another, better, bike.  Even as I wait impatiently for a tool that CMW should have but I need to get from England, I feel like I would miss my stinky Musketball.  I have come to realize it is my pal.  I just couldn't sell my pal down the river.  Even though it's an inanimate object, I guess I'm  anthropomorphising.  My wife just got rid of me too easily, but I can't do that to a pal.  We've been through too much.
Kind of dumb, I guess, but there you are.
Run what ya brung

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 07:13:23 pm
60 mph sounds fine to me... i'm not looking to do wheelies down the freeway, and the patient riding style that goes along with RE's sounds like my cup of tea.  I think i'm still leaning towards the AVL but I'm going to see what he (the dealer) has in the way of UCE's on thursday. 

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 07:55:57 pm
If I was not prone to tinker I would have purchased an AVL instead of an Iron as the UCE was not available. 

Keeping with the tone of Ernies' post i have found that some vehicles I can part with and not really miss even after driving them for years, I don't miss my Tacoma or VW Rabbit or my short lived KZ650, but my 85' Mustang and oddly enough my little 4wd Samarai  I miss.  My RE's fall into that category, they are inexpensive to buy and fix, fun to drive and easy to turn a wrench on.  Of course I will not sell em so they won't be missed, and with gas prices going up every day that might be a good thing..

Here in FLatistan my sidecar rig does really well in the commute category,  just don't expect over 55mph out of it even with a smaller counter shaft sprocket.

And so I conclude my post with the revelation that I have said nothing and you have since lost a small portion of your life that you will never get back just reading what I have posted..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 08:00:53 pm
Thanks uncle," anthropomorphizing ", I just learned something new.

Like UncleCrusty I too will not part with my Bullet.

Like you I studied,searched and read and  studied,searched and read some more while wrestling with the questions of what kind ?,which one? what if ?

In the end, I think when it's time to decide, its the sub conscious mind or maybe the soul make the choice for us. ;)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:47 pm
For a potential new bike, .... some people would do well with a Honda Rebel. ;)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 08:41:23 pm
hahaha.  yes i think the Electra's 'chosen me' not the other way around.  Again, i'll give the UCE's their due on thursday, but everything seems to be adding up in the direction of the AVL.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 03:11:51 am
hahaha.  yes i think the Electra's 'chosen me' not the other way around.  Again, i'll give the UCE's their due on thursday, but everything seems to be adding up in the direction of the AVL.

Just a thought, have you looked at Suzuki's TU250x?  Sure, its only 250cc but the physical size, styling, and output aren't that much different from the AVL and very likely much more reliable.

Again, just a thought; in case you still have any non-Enfield interest in your head.   ;)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 03:17:05 am
So, I had a feeling to just wait until something better came out.  It did, the UCE.

Ditto.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 03:18:23 pm
Strangely enough it was the tu250x that led me to the enfields.  I posted about it on another forum with a very similar "good first bike???" thread.  Enfields were suggested and now learning what i have about RE's here there's no way I'm not getting one. 

Thanks for the suggestion though... I almost settled on buying a tu250x before coming on this forum here.  I'd rather have a bike I can wrench on and understand how it works than one that just 'looks' classic.  While the appearance is the main reason I initially came to RE, the way I can learn to dissect and troubleshoot it is more of a draw for me than just getting a cool bike.  I'm a tinkerer by heart and I look forward to getting my hands dirty in my enfield.  I realize enfields may not be for everybody (maybe UCE's are for everybody) but I believe the AVL is for me.  (or maybe the UCE, we'll still see...)

Guinness is Beer as Royal Enfield is Motorcycle.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:04 pm

Ain't that the truth!

Eamon
Eamon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 06:06:47 pm

Well put !!

Three cheers and a toast to you Sir !

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 10:18:19 pm
Well?
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 01:47:01 am
Well?

is a deep subject.

,,,unless you turn it on it's side and then it's a tunnel.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:59 am
That's another check by your name...
Run what ya brung

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:06 pm
Well put !!

Three cheers and a toast to you Sir !

Lighter than it looks and way more taste and the beer's not bad either. ;)

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 04:45:57 pm
I'll drink to that!

The new thumper:

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 05:03:38 pm
nice bike....the color blue is nice too...Sorry to see u have to tie her up in the coral like that but better than seeing it gone in a second....
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:59 pm
Congrats !!!!  :D

Nice Bike  8)

Many smiles per gallon to you both.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 05:45:15 pm
Wow, that's the bike I almost bought in 2008!  Electra-X in Blue!!

Have fun and be wary of the cagers.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 06:31:57 pm
Great looking bike, that's sure to make your life better!
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 07:01:01 pm
thanks everyone- and stack:  cagers?

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: February 11, 2011, 07:21:25 pm
people in cages, Cars ;)
Iron Butt Association

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 07:55:24 pm
Well Superchuck, now you've gone and done it - has the smile left your face yet?
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 08:41:03 pm
Right... gotcha.  yeah i'm still new here   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

and tanker, no. :D :D :D ;D ::)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:14 pm
Another one bagged...

So who's going to be the one to tell him we were only kidding?
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: February 12, 2011, 01:13:18 am
We'll just blame it on a scapegoat !

I nominate " the one who wears chaps a**less pants"

;D ;D

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:30 am
This was the most excellent discussion. I also am new to motorcycling and really have my heart set on a RE. However, I have read on the Aussie RE forum, that the Electras were a mess, with crooked conrods, though the piston/big end issue was more or less fixed. And because they were not made for very long, parts for them can be tough to get.
Can anyone comment?

Nearby there is an '06 Electra for sale with 7500 miles on the clock. It looks good but I have been scared off of Electras. Should I reconsider?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:22 am

Yes.

Shaft mounted rockers, quench chamber head,alloy barrel, reliable electronic ignition that works, gear type oil pumps that out flow the Iron Barrels pumps by four times, full roller bottom end with forged STEEL con rod.

Whats not to like?

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:55 pm
I'm totally totally totally loving my '09 electra AVL right now... got it brand new from a dealer with 12 miles on it and i'm nearing 900 miles already in two months of frosty wintry weather (getting warmer now).  One thing that was advised to me is to talk to the previous owner when buying any used RE.  Since you're new to motorbikes you might not know how to tear apart and build back up the entire bike, and sometimes when buying a used bike it's from someone who didn't know what they were doing, or didn't baby it as they should've during the break-in or didn't do the maintenance when they should have... aka you don't want to buy someone else's problems.  if they loved the bike and coddled it (weird term) and took great care of it, then i'd say definitely definitely buy it.  I love my RE and every single person who has one loves them too.  Don't expect to go wheelie-ing down the highway on this bike, but if you wanna do urban or country roads at 40-55 mph this is your ride. 

Check up on the bike, but do it.  Get it.  Make sure it won't be a headache for you, and as long as you've done your homework you'll love it! :D

Chuck  (also, i'm very glad my persistence as a total beginner was helpful to someone other than myself) ::)

cheers

DNash

• Idiot
  • Bulleteer
  • '01 Military - "Rocinante"
Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 10:04:23 pm
Congrats on the new bike!

My first bike was an '09 Classic (with the same AVL motor that you've got), and it was an absolute joy. No more headaches than my buddy's '03 Kawasaki Vulcan, WAY less trouble than another friend's '86 Rebel, and a total blast to ride. After the first 500-1000 miles or so, she really opened up; felt stronger and faster (probably a mix of both the bike and the nut connecting the handlebars to the seat getting properly broken-in).

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:18 am
what superchuck said.

i bought my 07 avl a few years ago used, and blind.  i love it.  its a great bike and when it is so fun to ride.  slow feels like fast - an underrated quality.

you should fully expect that this is a bike that requires some mechanical upkeep... or maybe i should admit i break a lot of things when tinkering.

you can run it up to a higher speed for some shorter runs but it's not that fun at 70 on a highway unless you're runnin' an ace-fireball (that's another story).  some guys use the e-start.  mine doesn't work well for whatever reason and i've just ignored it as i kick it over like fonzie.

it kills on turns and around town.  it's my daily commuter in the city.  great bike.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:39:02 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: April 08, 2011, 03:31:54 am
The rods are bent to match the curve of the barrel.   Sort of like a one-legged man running on a treadmill.  You don't get anywhere fast, but you can't stop smiling. 
f you read the technical history, it took a lot of R&D and refinement to get the engine to rev past 11 RPM.   Now it redlines at 5200!  Who knows what the future will bring!
Run what ya brung