Author Topic: Choices.  (Read 2808 times)

Juggernaut

• Scooter
on: January 29, 2008, 05:24:39 pm
Hi all,

Still waiting for my msf course. Found a Bullet Military for about $1700 for sale. 4k on the odometer. My original plan was to run down to Vinces (if work will ever let me get out earlier enough) right after I pass the test and pick up a Military with the AVL engine. I guess what I'm pondering is if I were to try and pick up a used bike, would I be missing out on the experience of breaking in a brand new RE? This would be my 1st bike ever. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated and also, this forum is fantasmic.

Thanks!

TJ
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:49:45 pm
Hi all,

Still waiting for my msf course. Found a Bullet Military for about $1700 for sale. 4k on the odometer. My original plan was to run down to Vinces (if work will ever let me get out earlier enough) right after I pass the test and pick up a Military with the AVL engine. I guess what I'm pondering is if I were to try and pick up a used bike, would I be missing out on the experience of breaking in a brand new RE? This would be my 1st bike ever. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated and also, this forum is fantasmic.

Thanks!

TJ

TJ,

There were no Military models in the US with the AVL Lean Burn engine in them - that I am aware of; only the Electra X's.

If the break-in was done properly, and  if you'd rather ride normally right out of the gates, it's probably a good thing.

Breaking in a bike at slow road speeds with impatient cagers can be nerve-racking for experienced riders. Not sure I'd want to ride under those conditions having just gotten my permit. (Unless you have a lot of deserted roads to ride on...)

Matt

LJRead

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:41:55 pm

Matt, I think what TJ means is a new Military with the AVL engine which, according to Kevin, is how they will now come.  $1700 is a good price if the Military is in reasonable shape. I used to buy new vehicles as the prices weren't too much higher than used, but now the difference is great so, normally, I would just go used and hope for the best.  Nothing like having a brand new anything, with none of the indents of previous ownership, so I guess the final decision depends on how full your wallet is!

Good luck in your decision,

Larry

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:04:53 pm
I am not qualified to speak to this particular unit. I haven't seen it. It may or may not be a good deal. In general however here are some things to consider. The older the unit the less quality control at the factory. Not really a big issue if the bike has been sorted out. The four speed is very different from the five speed. A lot of my customers did not listen to me about break in, and some dealers didn't tell the customer at all. Some of these can be in  pretty rough shape. However, any unit that was properly cared for can be a joy to own. I recommend that anyone buying any used vehicle have it professionally evaluated. As a new rider a fresh bike with a warranty might be as economical. as a used bike with a major repair. But the used bike might represent a $avings. Have it checked out to be sure. Good luck!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:05 pm

Matt, I think what TJ means is a new Military with the AVL engine which, according to Kevin, is how they will now come.  $1700 is a good price if the Military is in reasonable shape. I used to buy new vehicles as the prices weren't too much higher than used, but now the difference is great so, normally, I would just go used and hope for the best.  Nothing like having a brand new anything, with none of the indents of previous ownership, so I guess the final decision depends on how full your wallet is!

Good luck in your decision,

Larry

Oh, I seeeeeee. Thanks.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:36:03 pm by Thumper »