Author Topic: K&N air filter testing  (Read 23405 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:45:40 pm
I think the K&N filter mounted in place of the OEM air filter will not necessarily affect the air flow turbulance in a bad way.  But I'll hopefully be able to get out and ride this week to get some miles in.  Right now there is more snap on acceleration due to more air getting in quickly. 

I am also curious how the mileage changes. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:51:51 pm
a honecomb to straighten the flow or a plenum to give it some intake length to straighten the flow should make it better.  

Thats what I am hoping for.

I've got the stock exhaust with cat intact.  The exhaust note seems to come up with just the cone filter.  Past half throttle you get a nice honk/growl out of the engine.  Below that it's still pretty tame.

SWEET !!

I love "music" ;D,,  angry neighbors not so much.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:23 pm
Stack,

I think you're right, should be fine with your filter setup.  Were you tracking mpg befoe you installed it?  Just wondering if you can do a comparison.

Ice,

Yeah, I think Jester put a source for honeycomb in somewhere earlier in this thread.  Gotta get me some of that, 

Hey, I've got another filter since I bought two.  If you want to try it out PM me your address and I'll send it to you.  I'm happy to do it just to get another tester in the mix.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:17 am
Prof Stack,

I think you're right, should be fine with your filter setup.  Were you tracking mpg befoe you installed it?  Just wondering if you can do a comparison.

Scott

I do keep track of MPG, being so math nerdy and all.  The C5 has averaged around 65mpg for the first 1,000 miles. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 01:05:23 am
Have you checked since installing the new filter?  Any diff?

I would attribute my drop to 'spirited' takeoffs since the install but I think 10% is too much to be accounted for from just that.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:10 am
Have you checked since installing the new filter?  Any diff?

I would attribute my drop to 'spirited' takeoffs since the install but I think 10% is too much to be accounted for from just that.

Scott
I haven't filled up yet, but the fun factor has increased with the improved acceleration, so my wrist has been working more.   :D

Overall the C5 seems to run more smoothly with better throttle response. 

BUT, if mpg were to fall from 65 to under 60 I would likely put the oEM stuff back on.  I didn't buy the RE for go-fast stuff.  I would have kept the Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:09 am
prof-stack,
I average 65mpg with my Iron barrel so I assume your mileage will improve as the motor becomes more broken in.

Ducati Scotty,

Thank you for the offer but I think it would be of greater benefit to the Bullet community as whole if more UCE data were captured. After that yes please and thank you I would love to give it a whirl.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 04:21:27 am
Oops!  Forgot you were iron barrel.  Anyone else with a UCE interested?

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 04:58:36 am
 Scotty, just thinking out loud here. And not looking at the bike. What if you were to extend the pod out , on the end of a piece of the correct sized radiator hose, cut to the correct length. Pick up some of that blue air filter material, the cheap thin stuff, like you would use on a furnace. Cut it in a circular shape to fit inside the radiator hose, epoxyed in, with maybe some thin  wire to stiffen it up, cross wise? The added length of the hose and the thin filter material should slow the air down a bit?
Maybe it's nutty, but what the heck? Just a thought.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 07:23:32 am
The hose alone should be enough, just a little length to let the air settle into a smooth stream, but there's not much space to put it in there.  It fits beautifully where it is but there's not much extra room.  I'll have to look at it but I'm more inclined to try that honeycomb matrix.  The rubber collar on the filter separates easily so I can pluck it out and try to mount it in there, then just put the pod back on top.

I'm also going to see if I can track down one of those plastic covers from the new models.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:46 am
Is anything in particular you want to know about the filter cover? I installed the new cover on my C5.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 03:51:38 pm
I just got a message from Bob that they are on the way for the US and he'll post when they''re here.  Where did you get yours SSR?  Are you in the US?

Also, I started poking through the K&N cross reference.  It looks like their E-0900 (3.75 ID) is from a 61-65 Chevy Corvair.  I think that would fit though the top wouldn't cover the whole thing, may need to cut a new one if it doesn't quite seal.  It's less than an inch larger in outside diameter.  Plus you can get a paper one at any auto store for about $10 and it has more filter area than the stocker.  That plus a cover may be my new path.  Here's the cross list page:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/kn_cross_ref.aspx?part=E-0900

All the other filters close in size were European moto filters.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:03:21 pm by Ducati Scotty »

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 04:39:43 pm
I got it from RE but they are not available as spares yet in India. I live in India.

What you have in mind has been tried and tested by a fellow comrade in India. Here is the way it needs to be done as I suggested  http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review-49.html    and this is how the lad ended up with K&N E0900 on C5     http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/73998-royal-enfield-500-classic-4100-km-ownership-review-52.html

To fit the E0900 on C5, all you need is a bigger filter plate from the CI Bullet and invert the nut/bolt on the filter box. Only problem is that you will not be able to fit the filter cover with E0900 until K&N comes up with standard OEM size filter. As the K&N filter is quite big and leaves no space for the filter cover.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:37 pm
Awesome!  Thanks so much. 

I'm wondering if the Corvair paper filter element will be a little smaller outside diameter than the K&N and fit a little easier.  I said in the beginning of this thread that I was more interested in getting rid of the leaks in the air box from the hinge than the potential performance gains of a free flow K&N type filter which is why I may go to a paper filter.  They don't generally flow as well but they filter better.  More area means it may breathe a little better but more importantly it should last a little longer.  And I'd rather not put tape across the hinge on the box to seal it but it seems like that solution is looking more and more like what I may need to do.  Also, it looks like a very tight fit with the larger filter.  I don't know if we'd be able to use the plastic cover and the larger filter together. 

All very good info, thanks again!

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:20 pm
It hardly leaves 2mm gap between the filter and box but works. If you use tape on the hinge and adjust the lock to make the box lid tight fit then its quite good too.

You can not fit the plastic lid with the bigger filter but if you can provide me with OD of paper filter you intend to use then I could try it out and let you know.