Author Topic: K&N air filter testing  (Read 23400 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: January 30, 2011, 08:58:45 pm
Art from Douglas Motorcycles sent me a prototype K&N air filter to try out in the C5.

Installation was painless, EXCEPT that the inner diameter is currently too small.  The bracket raises up from the box and prevents a tight seal.  See the second photo.  Art suggested pinching the top and bottom to get the left/right side to bulge out and extend beyond the bracket.  That didn't quite work in my C5.

K&N will have to get it made to our spec's before many people will buy it.  I got out a carving knife and gouged out a slot for the brackets.  That was ugly as heck but made for a better seal.  It is still not perfect, however.

The OEM filter, even when tightened, was not a perfect fit either.  The stock setup of plate and self-locking crown nut is pretty ricky-dink, a general "charming" feature I am still getting used to about this bike.

With temps in the upper 30's, but dry, I rode the C5 for 40 miles, mostly on the viaduct in Seattle south to Burien, about 13 miles out, at speeds above 50mph most of time. 

With the upswept muffler I didn't hear any sucking sounds coming from the air filter.  That muffler sure sounds sweet.

My seat of the pants dyno observed that there is better throttle response now.  The C5 is clearly more willing to accelerate at lower rpms and mostly throughout the range.  Heading into the stiff wind at 60mph, the C5 was willing to go faster but was not too much in a hurry to do it.

Back on the city streets I noticed a stronger pull in traffic, and was aware that at 40mph in 5th gear it pulls with more authority than before.

The C5 has 994 miles as of today.  I will post more stuff here when I get out again.  I'm still thawing from this ride!   :)
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 09:43:40 pm
Nice report.
 Please keep us posted as the R&D and testing continues.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:04 pm
Just measured the stock filter:
Inside dia:3"
Outside dia: 4 5/8"
Height: 3"

Then I checked their site.  There are two filters that might fit:
AL-6502 & BM 1298.

They're both about 3 1/8" high with a 3" inner diameter.  Maybe one of these would fit better.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:42 pm
Just measured the stock filter:
Inside dia:3"    Outside dia: 4 5/8"    Height: 3"

Then I checked their site.  There are two filters that might fit:  AL-6502 & BM 1298.
They're both about 3 1/8" high with a 3" inner diameter.  Maybe one of these would fit better.

Scott

The one I have is # BM0400.  It is listed as having a 3" inside diameter.  To clear the bracket, the inside diameter would have to be closer to 3.5" or maybe just a little less.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:09:20 am
Not wanting to leave a dry day go to waste, I put 20 more city miles on the C5 this afternoon.  That and wanting to hit the 1,000 mile mark.

The new air filter gives it more "grunt" at lower rpms and that will probably lower the gas mileage because of the increased grin power.   ;D

I was reminded of why I bought the C5 as it effortlessly cruised the mean streets of Seattle with a smooth cadence and gentle vibes. 

Can't wait for warmer weather! 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:14 am
Looking at my stock filter, it is a bit oval on the bottom.  I hadn't noticed before. :(

I looked on K&N's sight, nothing with a 3.25 ID.  There are a few at 3 5/8" & 3 3/4".  These may fit but might need a new, larger top plate to hold them in place.

DU-0100, E-0900, HA-0001.

Scott

rubyfdk

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:09:03 am
New RE comes with enclosed air filter :

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:55:44 am
Thanks for the pic of the new equipment.  I hear it's a 100% retrofittable item.  Any idea on the part number or US availability?

Scott

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:09:29 am
I heard a rumor those covers will be in the states pretty soon ;)
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:24:18 am
New RE comes with enclosed air filter :

Is this just a cover to prevent air leaks getting directly into the intake port rather than through the air filter?

It will be interesting to check it out when it becomes availlable.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:07:42 am
I'm still kinda partial to the pod filter I installed.  It seems to be working fine so far and I ordered a duckbill for the crankcase vent today.

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:24:58 pm
I did a little check on my mpg with the last tank of gas.  With the stock air cleaner I was usually getting about 55mpg, with the S&B cone I got about 45mpg.  That seems a little drastic, in the 10% range.  It has been colder so the bike it probably running richer, I've been using the freeway more, and one tank is a short measurement.  I'll keep tabs on it and also check the plug to see if it looks like I'm running rich or lean.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:29 pm
I did a little check on my mpg with the last tank of gas.  With the stock air cleaner I was usually getting about 55mpg, with the S&B cone I got about 45mpg.  That seems a little drastic, in the 10% range.  It has been colder so the bike it probably running richer, I've been using the freeway more, and one tank is a short measurement.  I'll keep tabs on it and also check the plug to see if it looks like I'm running rich or lean.

Scott

This pretty much confirms what I found when checking the various types of air filters for the UCE bikes. The little cone filters allow for WILD fluctuation of the MAP - indicating turbulence in the intake - and the resulting lesser fuel economy. DO keep us in the loop with some long-term and closely monitored results.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:51 pm
Thanks for the update Br. D.S.

After de restricting my exhaust I noticed an increased tendency to use the extra HP more often  ;D  It initially affected my mileage a bit but was easily corrected by altering my riding habits a bit.

Im still getting eleventybillion smiles per gallon.

BTW what are you running for a silencer and how would you describe the exhaust note?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:10 pm
Bob,
That's my suspicion too.  Those little fluctuations result in over and under dispensing of gas at the injector, leaning toward the rich side.  You might not feel it as surging at the wheel if it's happening so many times a second but it still eats more gas.  If that's the case, then installing the same filter with either a honecomb to straighten the flow or a plenum to give it some intake length to straighten the flow should make it better.  

I forget who did it but someone mounted the cone filter right on the end of the rubeer snorkel in the box.  That solves the turbulence problem and eliminates the holes from the hinge.  Of course, then you lose the lovely howl the engine makes when you crack the throttle with just the cone on the throttle body, an unexpected but welcome side effect of this mod ;)

I'll check the plug and run another tank.  Also, it'd be interesting to see what prof_stack is seeing with his mileage.  He's got a high flow fliter but is using the original  snorkel.

Ice,
I've got the stock exhaust with cat intact.  The exhaust note seems to come up with just the cone filter.  Past half throttle you get a nice honk/growl out of the engine.  Below that it's still pretty tame.

Scott