Author Topic: K&N air filter testing  (Read 23390 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 06:25:47 pm
I'll probably try out a WIX paper filter, I like their stuff.  When I get it I'll measure it and post the specs here.  Even if the present cover doesn't cover the whole filter it may still seal acceptably.

The tape is a good fix and you can't even see it down there.  You only change the filter rarely so it's not even really an inconvenience, it just feels sloppy to me, as does the sealing lip on that box to start with.  I'm glad they got the plastic cover and we'll be able to get it soon here in the states.  I'm hoping that's way better.  The hinge gaps just seems like such a huge oversight on such an otherwise well designed engine.  Ah well, they have seen it and put in a fix.  Can't complain too much ;)

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:15 pm
I picked up the WIX air filter yesterday.
ID 3 7/8"
OD 5 1/2"
HT 3 1/8"

I did a quick check and it looks like it will just fit if I flip the lower mouning bolt and point the threads out.  It doesn't cover the crankcase vent and I think it will just clear the snorkel mounting bolts.  I think it will seal with the existing lid even though it doesn't cover the entire edge of the filter.  While looking online I noticed NAPA advertised their version will flow 75CFM for whatever that is worth.  More to come...

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 06:35:01 pm
Have you checked since installing the new filter?  Any diff?

I would attribute my drop to 'spirited' takeoffs since the install but I think 10% is too much to be accounted for from just that.

Scott
I topped off the tank this morning to get an accurate figure:  65.5 mpg for the tank.  That is about what the bike has gotten since new.

This C5 is getting really smooth.  At 55mph the motor feels like it is barely working.  Nice.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:47 pm

This C5 is getting really smooth.  At 55mph the motor feels like it is barely working.  Nice.

Or your butt is going numb.  ;)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 10:01:06 pm
Hey, Norm. I thought your first tank was 81mpg. I've found the mileage plummets with not a whole lot of wrist and speed.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 12:36:54 am
I picked up the WIX air filter yesterday.
ID 3 7/8"
OD 5 1/2"
HT 3 1/8"

I did a quick check and it looks like it will just fit if I flip the lower mouning bolt and point the threads out.  It doesn't cover the crankcase vent and I think it will just clear the snorkel mounting bolts.  I think it will seal with the existing lid even though it doesn't cover the entire edge of the filter.  While looking online I noticed NAPA advertised their version will flow 75CFM for whatever that is worth.  More to come...

Scott

The cfm figure needs to have a vacuum depression figure with it, to have real meaning.
I would think it is done at a relatively low vacuum, which means it would probably do better than 75cfm at higher vacuum.
It's probably just fine.

The old 500 Bullet with a stock head would pull just a shade under  that at full valve lift with 10" water-column vacuum, and 143cfm with 28" wc.
The Fireball pulls about 120cfm at 10" wc, and about 195cfm at 28" wc at the full .350" valve lift that we use..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:54:58 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:31 am
Hey, Norm. I thought your first tank was 81mpg. I've found the mileage plummets with not a whole lot of wrist and speed.

Heh, the first tank was clearly a not-quite filled tank not knowing how high was prudent in the C5 gas tank.  When good riding weather returns (sooner not later we hope!) I think my typical 100-150 mile day rides will yield closer to 70mpg. 

If changing the OEM torpedo to the sleeker upswept muffler caused the mpg to fall, I'm okay with that.  The improved throttle response is very nice.  The exhaust tone is much nicer than stock.

The K&N filter also seems to improve the "punch" right off a twist of the throttle.

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 01:57:50 am
That makes more sense. If the C-5 odometer is as far off as the G-5, your really getting @60mpg or less; my experience.

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 07:29:59 am
@Scott- Few picture for your reference.

You would be able to fit the filter but the filter plate will not seal on the filter properly. Better go with the CI bullet filter plate and invert the threads of the bolt to fit the new filter.

If you intent to fit the new filter cover with the aftermarket oversize filter then it will not fit inside the filter cover. OEM filter itself is a snug fit.

From your measurements ID, HT is almost the same only OD is tad bit bigger and just about fit snuggly.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 08:21:55 am
Thanks for the pics.  I didn't think the new internal cover would fit with the larger filter, just kind of got curious since it was readily available.  I think in the end I'll go with a stock sized filter and the internal cover for good sealing but until they get to the states I'll just play around a little.

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 02:04:40 am
Well, I got in 94 miles today before any rains came to the Seattle area.  I was riding with my older brother Vic who has new Ducati GT1000 bought from the same dealer as my C5.  I introduced him to the owner.

His Duc is ridiculously quick, much more than a sane person needs.   :D

He is moving to Georgia in a few weeks and taking his toys with him, so we wanted to get out together before he leaves.  It was a nice ride.

Anyway, the C5 ran great and the MPG came in at 67.0 which is just fine with me.  I think I'll try the OEM filter again and see how it differs.  I want to get the new cover when it comes available to Seattle.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:46 am
 Thanks for the update. Threads like these are a valuable service to all will be viewed for a long time to come.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:17 pm
Anyway, the C5 ran great and the MPG came in at 67.0 which is just fine with me.  I think I'll try the OEM filter again and see how it differs .

@Prof:

Your MPG is excellent - because 67 MP US Gallon = 81 MP Imperial Gallon !  The filter doesn't seem to affect gas consumption significantly, if at all.  

To get a true picture, one needs to repeat the same experiment several times and then average the results.  Secondly, the amount of gas used by looking inside the gas tank is an approximation, thus MPG figures will be approximations.  No need to sweat ! Just enjoy the thump  ;D.  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:39:30 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 08:50:10 pm
Why not take those dampeners off the fins. They don't do much, look like crap, and restrict airflow. There's plenty of fin support already!!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 09:41:52 pm
Why not take those dampeners off the fins. They don't do much, look like crap, and restrict airflow. There's plenty of fin support already!!

Hey Joe, (sounds like a song),

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!   ;)  I like the dampeners just as they are.  Like the Enfield, they are different.  Send me yours if you still have them.