Poll

RE thinks about a twin - what should it look like?

In-line Twin
30 (71.4%)
V-Twin
10 (23.8%)
I only like Bullets
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: February 06, 2011, 07:27:43 pm

Author Topic: RE BIG BIKE  (Read 9143 times)

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:23 am
Hey Folks,
      It's a no-brainer...parallel twin ! I remember as a teen ager seeing my first Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 cc, and wondered ( now ), if they would ever come back.
      The V-Twin market is covered.......between Harley, Victory , and the Japanese, it makes no sense for R.E. to compete with them. That is the same mistake that I think the new Indian is making.......they're pursuing a V-Twin market when they should have focused on their in-line 4 cylinder!  Why the hell didn't they think of that !
       Royal Enfield is famous for their singles and twins, and they should stay with that........just an opinion.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24:18 pm
I have sort of an emotional inclination to the parallel twin, in an Interceptor-like styling too.
And I certainly agree that is the most recent heritage of the RE twins.

But I also like V-Twins. They don't have to be choppers or low-riders. Ducati does an excellent job with sporting V-Twins, and Suzuki became almost the "de facto standard bike" with their 650 V-Strom, and are others like that too.
So a V-Twin doesn't have  to be in the "cliche" chopper-esque bike style.

I would be happy to see either type.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 02:52:06 pm
I like both also. I  think India will build what there market would want,since we are only a small portion of the pie. In other words,not sure if the Intercepter was their bag and they may want to go modern,like liquid cooled?
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:12 pm
I like both also. I  think India will build what there market would want,since we are only a small portion of the pie. In other words,not sure if the Intercepter was their bag and they may want to go modern,like liquid cooled?

Regarding the present RE-infrastructure in India I expect a low-tech-engine without liquid cooling or overhead camshafts. The easyest thing to do would be just double a Bullet using as many identical parts as possible. If that theory is correct we´ll see a 700ccm and a 1000ccm version, both OHV and air cooled (and wouldn´t that be  8) ?)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:52:41 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 04:38:28 pm
Agreed, I don't think they're going to make a radical liquid cooled departure.  Remember, these are daily driver vehicles for many Indians and simplicity and reliability are key.

Scott