Author Topic: Bicycles?  (Read 1317 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 30, 2011, 08:28:52 am
Who here rides pedal bikes too?  Road/mountain?

I was/am a big mountain biker, have been for ages, but stuck where there is no nearby mountain biking.  Road's been something I've variously tried and let go of.

And today, I had someone pull an absolute doozy in front of me on the moto and in panic braking, I reacted on the levers like I would on a bicycle, since I'm a few weeks old as a motorcycle owner.  Slight oops but it all worked out OK....clutch shoulda been in, and I modulated both brakes alright.

But if I'd have locked a wheel I'd probably have let off on the wrong lever and either stalled the bike or continued in a rear-wheel skid, confused as to why I was crashing since I'd released what I took to be the rear brake in my split-second natural reaction.

Now I see why all the motocross guys run their mountain bike brakes reversed.  Might have to do that on the pedal bike when I get it rebuilt.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:08:19 am by AgentX »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:56:27 am
Definately.

Before any one even heard of Gary Fisher we were piecing together "ridge runners" as we called them. Very popular in our neighborhood growing up.
We also rode a fair amount of street when we couldn't afford gasoline for the motorcycles. I never lost the love though it is lower on the list.

My eleventy-billionth bicycle and current ride is a Kona Stinky. Its the second Kona I've owned. I don't have the skill to use it to its full potential so I will likely trade it for a Dawg or Kickapoo.  Yes, the brake levers mounting was immediately "corrected"  ;)  
No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:14:37 am
Figured there'd have to be some old-schoolers around here.  And on a Stinky now, too...cool!

I went from riding big full-suspension bikes to a singlespeed fully-rigid. Nice to have little-to-no maintenance concerns and feels right for me these days.

Here's a vid from where I was living, taken from my Turner RFX.  Guy I'm riding with is on my full-rigid singlespeed of which I spoke, but he's not a strong technical rider; I've taken the rigid down this trail just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0rEbwKJrb0

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:24:41 am
Amazing vid !

Thank you Sir for bringing that slice of heaven to my little screen.  8)

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:26:40 pm
I was until I got hit by some gang banger making a run for some smokes last fall. I have yet to repair my bike..... but i'll be back!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 07:41:48 pm
Did a lot of mountain biking as a kid and am now a full-time bike commuter. Did it in NYC for about six years. Tried to get into road cycling but am moving around a lot now so it's going to be difficult. Thinking of picking a up a cyclocross bike like a Surly Cross Check that can handle my gear-laden commutes as well as 50 mile rides in farm country.

Mostly I just enjoy the freedom of being out on two wheels, whatever form they take.

*Great* video, by the way. Looks like a fantastic descent.

daves02ES

• Bulleteer
  • Thump Thump
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:35 pm
Used to ride road bikes (light touring) for years. Now in Denver, there's bike paths, paved and hard packed gravel, everywhere. One's only a few hundred yards from our driveway and go on for over 50 miiles. Now riding a Trek 7300.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:31:18 pm by daves02ES »
2002 Bullet ES

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 08:30:03 pm
   Had one something like this when I was about 10.  But it was a Hiawatha..rode it to junk status.  Have had various Peugeot's and the like.  Figure I can't race anymore or hill climb on a bike so just ordered this beauty.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-M-Nel-Lusso-cruiser-comfort-bike-model-56560-brown/12517027
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:01:08 pm
Love the basket!!!
   you are going to need a milk crate to bungee to the rear carrier...
                    - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:55 pm
   Had one something like this when I was about 10.  But it was a Hiawatha..rode it to junk status.  Have had various Peugeot's and the like.  Figure I can't race anymore or hill climb on a bike so just ordered this beauty.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-M-Nel-Lusso-cruiser-comfort-bike-model-56560-brown/12517027

Thanks for the tip, I have a birthday later this year. 
 That is the closest thing to the Schwinn I had overseas. I must have one !
(Since my boys are regular visitors here, Sons" I aint saying but I'm sayin")

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:57:09 am
  If you want one they are in limited stock..that's why I ordered mine from the online store.  Think it was like 3 bucks more for home delivery plus tax.  Mine should be here Wednesday to Friday time frame.

I basically got this one because I've been diagnosed with spinal  lumbar stenosis and will use it to regain strength in my legs and lower back..low impact workout.  Another by product of aging and genetics. 

Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 04:31:42 pm
I figured most Enfield owners would also be cyclists of one stripe or another...

Glad the vid was entertaining.  That spot was right over my house...you'd go out the gate and pedal uphill for a good 15-20, and then you could pedal up more or hit any of the foot/goat trails back down, once you learned the way.  I'd go out with the boss in the morning before work and this way I couldn't be late!  Then we'd hit epic rides on the weekends.

He had three dirtbikes but we never got them running; he was forbidden to ride them by the first head honcho at work after nearly losing his leg in the Congo when a land cruiser turned him into a hood ornament.  Too bad, because it would've been spectacular.  Still, the two-wheeling was two-wheeling, whether accomplished by sweat or wrist cramp.

When we arrived in Burundi we couldn't go anywhere due to the rebel positions in the hills we were riding through just a few months later.  Glad I pushed the boss out on some recon runs to show it was safe!  ;D

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:26 pm
I still ride the Schwinn Suburban I bought new in 1970.10 speed.Kind of a golden brown with gold pin stripes,took the fenders off but still have 'em.Still got the weird gum wall tires on it,still hold air.Also have a Giant 18 spd.Get tired just thinking about them.Gonna ride more,maybe.