Author Topic: turn signal out  (Read 2025 times)

greggers

• Bulleteer
on: January 30, 2011, 01:23:15 am
I've got a pretty new California G5 (got it beginning of November), and I noticed today that the left rear turn signal isn't working. When signaling that side, the strobe is quite a bit faster than the other side, which I assume is an indicator of a problem in the wiring somewhere. I checked the fuses, the connection to the light, and of course the bulb. All appear to be fine (bulb filament isn't visibly damaged, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it's fine). I have had one off where i dropped it, but it was on the right side, and this is the left. I know I can just take it into the dealer but they are closed and don't open again til Tuesday, any thoughts on what else I might check in the mean time? If it is the bulb, is that something I can pick up easily at like Pep Boys or am I going to need to special order it?
Thanks,
Greg

Darkside

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:36:56 am
Br. Greggers check the simple stuff first I.E the bulb much like a car if one turn bulb burns out or has something wrong with it then the other one that is working will flash at a faster rate. Good luck   
NON TIMEBO MALA.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:19:14 am
 Greg, swap the bulb with the other one to make sure. Or check the bulb with a continuity tester/ multimeter set on the lowest Ohm's scale,touch your leads together first to make sure it's working. Your checking between the case of the bulb and the contact on the bottom. You probably could pick one up at an auto store.
 a bad bulb could look deceiving, sometimes the filament brakes at it's base, and may LOOK OK. If the bulb checks out, I would look for a bad ground connection at the light. If there are two wires coming from the light, one is ground one is hot. Check both connections. if there is only one, it is hot, and the light is grounded through the light housing it's self. In which case you would make sure the light is firmly mounted and not loose, making a good contact. Bad connection's can also make the relay flash quicker. Good luck.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

greggers

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 08:04:56 pm
Tried swapping the bulbs (don't know why I didn't think of that before...), left side is still out. Guessing that means a short in the electrics somewhere?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 10:44:04 pm
Tried swapping the bulbs (don't know why I didn't think of that before...), left side is still out. Guessing that means a short in the electrics somewhere?
Could be a short, could be a loose connection. Alright , looking at the schematic you have a black wire coming out of the light as a ground, and a black/white wire as a hot. Now i don't have a G-5, but i bet they connect in the tail light housing. Check those connections first. With the left blinker on, try wiggling the wires a bit,see what happens.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:56:23 pm
This is more common with front lights but turn the signal on and rotate the bars from side to side.  If it comes on somewhere there's likely a short or loose connection near the handlebars.  If not, your owner's manual has a full wiring diagram.  Get an inexpensive test light and start working back along the colored lines until you lose voltage.

Also, the fast blinking is common on new flashers when a bulb goes out and the load drops.  It's just an indicator that one or more of the turn signals isn't working.

Scott