Author Topic: What I Had In Mind  (Read 4635 times)

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
on: January 26, 2011, 04:18:58 pm
   Don't get me wrong, but when I first started looking for a classic bike years ago, visually, this is what I had in mind:

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/ariel_military.jpg

I love, love, love my Military G-5, but this Ariel (with a G-5 tank), number plates like the Enfield, that rugged luggage rack,  the centerstand that folds from the rear fender, the external rods and oil lines, the girder forks and clean,  isolated headlight , the oh so British "where are we going to put the horn? lets just tack  it here" ,that totally assembled in pieces look. Just sayin'. :'(

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:27:02 pm
nice ariel but not a daily ride. but a great second bike to take to  rallys and shows. another part of motorcycle fun.(besides riding)
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:24 pm
   Don't get me wrong, but when I first started looking for a classic bike years ago, visually, this is what I had in mind:

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/ariel_military.jpg

I love, love, love my Military G-5, but this Ariel (with a G-5 tank), number plates like the Enfield, that rugged luggage rack,  the centerstand that folds from the rear fender, the external rods and oil lines, the girder forks and clean,  isolated headlight , the oh so British "where are we going to put the horn? lets just tack  it here" ,that totally assembled in pieces look. Just sayin'. :'(

You planning on doing some mods to your G-5 ?  ;) ;D 8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:28:08 pm
Hmmmm...

With a solo seat, luggage rack, and ditching the nacelle for a stand alone light you could get much closer to the look for not too much invested.  The swing stand and girder fork, you'd need to get those cutom made and the fork would be pricey for sure. 

It'd be super easy to add some lines to the outside of the engine for looks with some Copper tubing and JB weld ;)  I'd say that's the one major drawback of the UCE engine looks, the loss of those external lines.  They were cool.

Scott

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:10:18 am
nice ariel but not a daily ride. but a great second bike to take to  rallys and shows. another part of motorcycle fun.(besides riding)

Beg to differ - I rode a WM20 nearly every day when I was a wee little children. I put about 40K miles on the little heep in about three years. The Ariel has those new, modern over your head valve thingies, too ..... it MUST be better .......  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:05:00 am
Hmmmm...
... the fork would be pricey for sure. 

Maybe not so much.  There's a Dutch or Belgian company that makes retro parts for SR500 singles - including a beautiful girder fork set.  It would probably bolt right on with little or no modification.  I can't find the link, but it's out there....

(They have some pretty sweet cafe racer bits, too.)
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:35:52 pm
bob, when you were a wee child that thing was a lot newer. and as these things get older they get more valuable and parts get expensive . best ride a new  enfield.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:39 pm
Maybe not so much.  There's a Dutch or Belgian company that makes retro parts for SR500 singles - including a beautiful girder fork set.  It would probably bolt right on with little or no modification.  I can't find the link, but it's out there....

(They have some pretty sweet cafe racer bits, too.)

Bob, know anything about this girder fork company?   I know the Indian one was dodgy.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:30:12 am
I gave it a good two-hour search, but I can't find it.  It may be defunct.  On the other hand, googling "SR500" is like googling "Bob Smith".  If anyone knows the company, they were low-countries based and specialized in cafe racer and retro bits for Yamaha singles.  I think they were the first ones to turn out an SR-engined BSA Goldstar replica.  I had an SR 250 at the time, hence my interest.   

During my searches today, however, I note that quite a few people have retrofitted Harley springer and Brit girders to their Yamahas with apparently little effort.  Don't see why it can't be done with the RE, too.
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:22 pm
Bob, know anything about this girder fork company?   I know the Indian one was dodgy.

Scott

I don't really know squat about a girder fork fitment for the SR500 .... BUT ..... I do know that a WM20 and the TRW Triumph girder fork will practically bolt right onto the RE ... and there are some out there to be had .....

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 04:41:20 pm
bob, when you were a wee child that thing was a lot newer. and as these things get older they get more valuable and parts get expensive . best ride a new  enfield.

Are you sayin' I'm OLD?? Hahaha! I'm hoping to get my "new" one done by late spring or so .... we'll see if the glasses were rose coloured or not. I honestly don't remember having to do TOO much to the original WM20 that I had ..... so it couldn't have been THAT bad to run around on. I do like the philosophy of the new Enfield, though .... That's why I have three of the darn things - I just can't make up my mind!! Hahahaha!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:08:25 pm
I loved the girder on my M20, a girder and sprung seat will look after you pretty good.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 09:30:27 pm
I loved the girder on my M20, a girder and sprung seat will look after you pretty good.

Funny - I've recently read a whole bunch about how the girder rides on the front of the WM20 ..... but I swear I don't remember anything outstanding one way or t'other on it .... I must have been young and dumb and didn't KNOW any better. It'll be interesting to get back in the saddle of one and see what it's like 30-some years later .....  ::)