Author Topic: Dealer Prep Missing Parts  (Read 10130 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:32 pm
Oh, and this isn't a USA only forum, we;ve got people from all over.  But our hosts can only help with problems inside the border ;)

Scott

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 02:21:33 am
Is your dealer a new one? I know we spend about 3 hours in setup for a new RE and that's not counting the uncrate/assembly. I'm sure this sounds like a long time and while it's longer than many bikes it's simply whats needed right now.

I'm wondering if your dealer doesn't realise that he can't take for granted many items that he might be used to brushing over. One of the "easy" ways to pocket money is assume things will be fine and therefore not doing it. An example would be many dealers will tell you they adjusted your valves (non RE bikes in this example) and not do it since they know 19 times out of 20 the valves are perfect.

It's hard to get a service department to have integrity (ie: do what they say they are going to do) partially due to pay structure. Service departments usually pay by the job and not hourly which encourages cheating the customer. I learned long ago my service works better for all considered if I pay hourly instead.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph
www.douglasmotorcycles.com

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 03:11:42 am
It's not a new dealer, but the REs are new to them - one of the first to get them here, in fact, which is why I bought mine there.  But no, this particular place is just shoddy.

My own complaints from the same dealer:

They gave the wrong bike.  Literally.  The VIN on my ownership doesn't match the bike.  Damn close, and that last couple of digits on the bike is hidden under a zip tie, but no match.  Ten months later and I'm STILL dealing with the insurance and financing fallouts of that little blunder.  The dealer will not assist in any way.  I can only assume that the poor sod who has the bike that I have the ownership for is having similar difficulties.

There was no setup.  It was just, "Here you go.  Take her away."   I don't know what kind of simian they thought would be riding the thing, but much adjustment was needed to get the bars, levers and foot controls back to something a human could use when I got it home.

No owners manual.  I had to go back and ask for it. It's such an obvious thing, I just assumed, when I picked it up, that it was tucked into the toolbox or something, but no.  Just plain forgotten.   

I took it in once - and only once - less than a month after I took ownership, to go over some very minor issues.  They had no answers, and could do nothing.  Through THIS forum, the very minor problerms were solved by myself (actually they were solved  by the great folk here - I just turned the wrench).  Lack of product knowledge.  I think I can forgive that one, as the bike is new to them.  But they weren't very helpful, or even suggestive.

When my speedo cable snapped (factory issue) I had an inexpensive replacement that I purchased from this site at my door within three days via plain old snail mail (and I live in another country).  That was eight months ago.  I STILL have not heard back from my dealer regarding my multiple inquiries about whether they have a replacement in stock or how much it cost. Nothing.  I wasn't even asking for a warranty repair.  I just wanted to know.  They won't answer an email or return a phone call.  It's maddening.  God forbid they should ever actually pick up the phone in real time when it's ringing.

In the end, I have to say they're just not a good dealer.  This is the first time in my life  I've ever bought a brand new bike.  This was going to be the first - and last.  My friends were astonished to hear my stories.  Their Kawasaki and Yamaha and whatever dealers sat them on their new bikes, adjusted bars and levers and everything to suit, and didn't send them on their way until they were satisfied.  I had to take over the loading of mine into the trailer (it was almost 0 degrees, pissing rain,  and 90km winds that day) and do the tie-downs myself, since they didn't seem to know how.

I never took it back to them for even a first service, which I suppose voids that extended warranty I'm paying for,  but I don't care.  I love the bike and if it needs fixing, major or minor, I'll do it myself if I know how, or learn how if I don't. 

2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

Philbomoog

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:42:11 pm
This post isn't aimed at anyone here but I've met a real mixed bag of dealers, good and bad.
At a Yamaha dealers I was totally unable to drag a salesman away from his laptop to discuss an MT03, (I noticed he was on ebay looking at Triumphs!). Another franchise dealer appeared completely devoid of staff, with all the keys for the demonstration bikes hanging behind the desk, (I was very tempted to take one for a spin).
Another dealer was completely disinterested when I explained I was looking for my first bike and wouldn't spend over £3000. (Its not like he was full of other customers at the time).
 My nearest RE dealer has been the best,  always busy but very friendly.

I think its case of finding a dealer/mechanic you can trust and hang onto them. Advertise them to your friends and keep them in business. Its just a pity they seem so few and far between.

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 02:19:03 pm
I think its case of finding a dealer/mechanic you can trust and hang onto them. Advertise them to your friends and keep them in business. Its just a pity they seem so few and far between.

This man speaks the truth, I have found an amazing dealer and plan to stay in contact with him just because he's a great guy. I may even buy another bike from him someday.  :)

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 04:32:26 pm
Sorry to hear about your dealer woes, Andy & Christopher. You might want to drop a hint here about who they are to give others a chance of avoiding them.....?
I'm in the UK, west country, and the dealer where I got my bike was also new to Royal Enfields, to motorbikes at all, but right on the ball when I had a couple of early issues last spring - straight out in the pick-up to collect, and left me the demo C5 while they fixed my G5. They are the main Morgan dealers down here, and also sell steam engines  (really..!) so I kind of liked their ethos from the outset.
Did you buy a new bike? Why the extended warranty when you get 2 years anyway....?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:38:18 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:58 pm
And your warranty should be honored at any dealer, though the next one may be much farther away.

Scott

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 05, 2011, 01:36:14 am
Did you buy a new bike? Why the extended warranty when you get 2 years anyway....?

Two years or 10,000 km.  That's not even one riding season for me. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 01:52:40 am
Ah!  We get two years and unlimited mileage here in the states,

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 03:23:15 am
Ah!  We get two years and unlimited mileage here in the states.
+1
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 04:06:18 am
Yes.  I know.  *gives that piercing look of unadulterated hatred*   ;)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #26 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:00 am
As far as I'm aware it's 2 years and unlimited mileage here in UK too. Parts & labour first year, parts only year 2. No mention by Watsonian, or my dealer, of mileage limitations. A quick google reveals Oxfordshire RoyalEnfield stating 2 years or 12000km. I checked this with Watsonian (UK importers) when I bought my bike last year and was told unlimited mileage.
Servicing is supposed to be done by approved dealer for the 2 years to qualify, but as long as you keep a record of your own servicing etc, this needn't affect the warranty. I've done all my own servicing apart from the first two, and it hasn't affected warranty issues (heatshield replaced, sprag clutch & starter relay replaced at 6000 miles).
There does seem to be some confusion about the terms of the warranty among dealers here. ???
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:19 am
Definitely two years unlimited mileage here in the UK whatever that Oxfordshire dealer says! And Watsonian have been quick to supply the part without question on the two occasions my sprag clutch failed. I am also very lucky to have a superb family run dealer here in Southend, Essex. In fact I will continue to give them the bike to service once the warranty is up because they do what they say they will, charge reasonable rates and I want to support them.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 11:41:16 am
And your warranty should be honored at any dealer, though the next one may be much farther away.

Scott

As luck would have it, a second dealer has opened up in the region and this fellow is, if the internet stories are to be believed, an RE fanatic.  He's even bringing in a container of 20-30 year-old 350s, which he plans to resell (at an extremely reasonable price, I might add). 

I'll be stopping in to pay him a visit when the sun and the goddess deign to turn their faces toward this frozen land again...

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 12:30:44 pm
Very sory to hear about Andy´s story in Canada, a case like this would make me hopping mad. Since I´m working in the service industry I´m quite sensitive to these issues, as I´d never see my own customers again if they´d be treated like this.

Fortuntely the dealers in my home country seem to be quite good. In case somebody from Upper Bavaria reads this: I may recommend Iwan Bikes in Pfaffenhofen/Ilm. Their setup and preparation were exellent as well as their support during the registration process that needed many phonecalls and the work of an external technical consultant. A real RE-maniac is Flo Nytz in Wittighausen (near Würzburg) - his customers travel literally hundreds of kilometers for his help and advise.

Maybe it would helpful for Br. Andy to write some e-mails to RE Canada just to be prepared, in case there will be a serious/expensive  problem with the bike.
By all means it would be helpfull to mention the name of the said dealer to keep him from driving away other customers.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl