Author Topic: Dealer Prep Missing Parts  (Read 10125 times)

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:48 pm
I drove 800kms round trip last week to pick up my new C5.

I noticed at the dealer that a foot peg was missing.

I noticed when I got home that the left rear suspension nut does not match the right. One side is chrome the other not. One cell in the battery was over full, one right on and the rest; almost empty.

I loved these bikes at first sight. I suspect its appeal is to a niche community.  I wonder if some dealers do not take them seriously. It is a good thing the bikes are absolutely irrestable.

I do not want to introduce my self to this forum by complaining. I love this bike. I am a little surprised though.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:29:29 pm
Welcome to the forum!

I assume you have contacted your dealer and reported the problems.  You should demand most or all of the dealer "prep" to be returned to you.

If you are not satisfied with them, contact Kevin Mahoney here.  He will be VERY interested in getting to the bottom of it.

But YOU have to be proactive to check all fasteners and use some kind of threadlocker on some of them.  Thumpers like to lose bolts and screws.  Ask us how we know...   ;)

Oh, get a Battery Tender and keep your C5 battery always charged.  It will pay for itself within no time. 
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:21 pm
I did my own prep.

Bike comes in a crate from India, with no foot pegs installed.

Rear suspension nut , should have been a factory thing. Battery is dealer prep.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:30:25 pm
Bike comes in a crate from India, with no foot pegs installed.
Rear suspension nut , should have been a factory thing. ...

The dealer is responsible to make sure all is correct before they release it for sale, assuming they are charging for setup.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:52:48 pm
Hi ChristopherRyan congrats on your Bullet and welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This is not the norm. Humans do make mistakes though and they should be easily resolved with just a couple of polite phone calls.

Please let me show you a different perspective as to these machines being a" niche bike"

Selectively quoting brother ScooterBob ( he sums the point up far better than I can)

I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it .....

and I think it'll lend itself to all kinds of fun and unique modifications to make it whatever the new owner wants it to be - since it will be "just" a motorcycle when it gets here .....  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:56 am
The reality is - some dealers just suck.  I have a list of whinges a mile long about mine.  And yes - they are irresistable, aren't they?  ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:47:15 am
Sorry Guys,

I ought not to have made generalized statements based on an assumption.

I believe most dealers love REs. I suspect that they have an addictive quality that grapes those who sell and service, just as it grabs those who buy.

I was surprised. I Think I know now what happened though. The bike was likely a show demo with a sidecar. When the sidecar was taken off, the foot peg and shiny nuts and bolts were not replaced.

It really is a beautiful bike. The dealer was quite friendly Helpful. I am sure that had I been on the ball that he would have been as surprised as I. Not everybody can see everything all the time.

Again, I ought not to have made any kind of generalization. I have been on forums where people like to gripe about dealers, manufacturers and insurance. Generalizations are unfair. It's more fun to talk about the bike ... and oil, of course.

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 04:54:15 am
Hi,

With regard to my last, "grape" is an autocorrection.These bikes grab you.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 05:08:28 am
Welcome to the forum,
and welcome to Royal Enfields.

Do not try to even ride your bike until you have checked over every single nut you can find.  Get sme blue Loc-Tite.  Get some distilled water and a Battery TENDER -not a trickle charger.
Change ALL fluids, including the fork oil.
And please use more than 15 pounds of air in tjhe front tire.

Then look for more nuts and bolt you may have missed the first 2 times.

I can't read that black type in a blue field, but yes, Enfields are for nut-jobs, iconoclasts, and lonely people with a good sense of dark humour.
Run what ya brung

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:47 am
Sorry Guys,

I ought not to have made generalized statements based on an assumption.

I believe most dealers love REs. I suspect that they have an addictive quality that grapes those who sell and service, just as it grabs those who buy.

I was surprised. I Think I know now what happened though. The bike was likely a show demo with a sidecar. When the sidecar was taken off, the foot peg and shiny nuts and bolts were not replaced.

It really is a beautiful bike. The dealer was quite friendly Helpful. I am sure that had I been on the ball that he would have been as surprised as I. Not everybody can see everything all the time.

Again, I ought not to have made any kind of generalization. I have been on forums where people like to gripe about dealers, manufacturers and insurance. Generalizations are unfair. It's more fun to talk about the bike ... and oil, of course.

"The Force" is strong in this one.  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:04:55 am
I opened my own crated RE motorcycle and preped her myself.    Was part of my special requirements .

After my RE  was crated by the  holy hands of Chennai , I didn't want any Infidels touching her......Not even Vince.

Seems to have worked well, still on spag number 1.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 04:26:22 pm
I know the long drive to the dealer doesn't make this easy but here's what I suggest:

1) Contact the dealer and list the issues.  Ask nicely for him to fix them all.
2) Get some wrenches and LocTite.  You're going to need to check all the nuts and bolts after every ride for a month or two.  This is just something common to this model.  It settles down after a while and just needs an occasional check.
3) If the dealer is not responsive after a few polite requests contact ScooterBob or Kevin Mahoney right here.  They are very interested in making sure we all get top notch service.

And welcome!

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 05:08:43 pm
Christopher,
What country did you buy your bike in? I asked because you used km as the distance you went to pick you bike up.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ChristopherRyan

• Christopher Ryan
  • Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 01:10:03 am
Thanks Guys,
     I was really more curious than anything else. Once I realized that a sidecar was attached to it in the showroom, it made sense. It was a simple oversight.

I bought it over the phone.

It was not a RE USA dealer.

While I have not received any grief, it is a rude topic to raise on a RE USA forum. I was not thinking.

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 01:41:50 pm
As it turns out, it seems Christopher and I bought from the same dealer.  I can't say I'm surprised to hear of his issues - I wouldn't trust them to change my oil.  There's always one bad apple in the bunch, I suppose.   >:(

(And no, they are not in the USA).
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"