Author Topic: Jealousy  (Read 1566 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 29, 2011, 02:55:22 pm
Let me rephrase my initial, rather long-winded post:

I bought a 2010 bullet and was happy riding it.  Until my friend found what seems to be the ultimate Enfield source in Hyderabad, and got a fully rebuilt 2002 which is just gorgeous.  They even put red enamel on the brake drum fins.  And he paid just over half of what my near-new bike cost me.

Now I am in a state of utter envious lust despite the fact that his bike is tricky to start, smokes, leaks oil, and apparently has a front brake that's designed as a mere suggestion.  And leaves you without a clue as to whether you've shifted gears or not.  (At least I'm not jealous when we're moving, which I suppose is the important part, eh?)

Shop did hook me up with a great price on a solo seat and swapping bars, installing some other stuff, etc.

I will post pics as soon as possible, and hopefully will get some shots of the shop at some point as well.  imagine like 25 bikes stripped to various states, some gold-leaf covered, some covered with inlaid metal bas-relief, some stripped to utterly classic and elegant lines with traditional paint and badging.  It's anything and everything you could want...

MD
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:22:24 pm by AgentX »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:10:30 pm
Heh, if you want to be jealous, be jealous of how much time he will get to fuss and tinker and repair and replace things while you are out riding.   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:33:44 pm

his bike is tricky to start, smokes, leaks oil, and apparently has a front brake that's designed as a mere suggestion.  And leaves you without a clue as to whether you've shifted gears or not.  (At least I'm not jealous when we're moving, which I suppose is the important part, eh?)

AgentX,
 You have the better Bullet hands down.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:10:30 pm
"better bullet hands down"  -  I second that. A leaky, smoky, unreliable starter with a nice paint job is  -  a leaky, smoky, unreliable starter!
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:18:25 pm
He will have to "work" on his Bullet, you only have to" massage" yours.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 10:23:05 pm
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If you have an unreliable, hard starting, smoking, leaking bullet, it's YOU that is malfunctioning.  No, it's not a major appliance, but no Brit bike ever was,I don't care where they were built. Old design , either you like it or you don't, the Poster sounds like he does.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:30 pm
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  If you have an unreliable, hard starting, smoking, leaking bullet, it's YOU that is malfunctioning.  No, it's not a major appliance, but no Brit bike ever was,I don't care where they were built. Old design , either you like it or you don't, the Poster sounds like he does.

Belly laugh!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:05 am
I know the truth.  It's just hard to look at the bike and not be jealous.  Like looking at the hot chick with major issues that your friend just picked up.  You know your own woman is reliable and amazing and you'll be with her forever, but you can't help but stare and imagine...

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:05 am
Paint and chrome won't get you home.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 07:43:05 am
 Advice given me by a Muscle Car Guru when I was a lad.

"A fresh coat of paint hides a multitude of sins"

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 12:08:09 pm
always keep the nut behind the handlebars adjusted...
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 12:36:14 pm

Dunno. No. Although..., no.
My German character takes over here. As the basic contruction is without much flaws, it´s possible to get a quite reliable, easy starting, non-smoker, housetrained Bullet.....with a little expense  ;D.
The keywords in my last sentence are " a little". As there are varieties of RE´s workmanship, the efford may be "a little" bigger sometimes. And if you´re finally reached the low end you may ask yourself were all this will end...
However, the efford to do a little makeup on your fine running bike, AgentX, is definitely smaller than to do a major (or even minor) mechanical overhaul. There is no reason why your´s shouldn´t be as neat looking as your friend´s! A look into the photo gallery may be helpfull for inspiration. There are tons over tons of aftermarket parts available in India, so you can transform the Bullet into whatever you desire - that is one of the best features of this bike, in my opinion, as this possibillities do not exist for any other bike worldwide.
Happy tinkering!
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 08:32:58 pm
  Yeah sort of like a blank canvas for blank minded images. ;D ;D ;D
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:32:22 am
"better bullet hands down"  -  I second that. A leaky, smoky, unreliable starter with a nice paint job is  -  a leaky, smoky, unreliable starter!

You know your own woman is reliable and amazing and you'll be with her forever, but you can't help but stare and imagine...

@MD:

I third that "you have better bullet hands down" ! 

On the other hand your reliable and amazing Bullet would not mind if you have another smoky, unreliable but shiny 'keep' on the side.  Add one more to your harem of bikes - it is only half-priced  :D

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 04:43:59 am
@MD:

I third that "you have better bullet hands down" ! 

On the other hand your reliable and amazing Bullet would not mind if you have another smoky, unreliable but shiny 'keep' on the side.  Add one more to your harem of bikes - it is only half-priced  :D

Best Idea I heard all year !!

Beers to you Brother. ;)