Author Topic: 2009 UCE owners  (Read 6748 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 06:38:15 am
I'll get 5000 before February is out if the weather cooperates.

Scott

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 07:36:31 am
 that may be wishful thinking .  then again i'm a wimp and try to avoid metro area

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 10:33:59 pm
Best I can tell, I've got a MO painted in red/orange on the exhaust cover and something like MV-235 (like a part #) in magic marker,black, on the intake cover. Also, header??????

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:34 pm
Best I can tell, I've got a MO painted in red/orange on the exhaust cover and something like MV-235 (like a part #) in magic marker,black, on the intake cover. Also, header??????

A Mo'-Motor! ...... and that's "09V-235" on there. It's the "official" nomenclature for that gearbox upgrade. Tim has been on the parts dispatch in India like ugly on an ape trying to get that pipe and a couple of OTHER parts for people. You are rattling - but still riding ..... If anyone on the Planet can get those in here, it'd be Tim. He is a CHAMPION at dealing with the Factory boys and shaking stuff loose that  seems to be on perpetual backorder ..... Hang in there!
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:10 am
Thanx. The bike has proven to be more rock solid, more kick above 65 indicated, more than freeway capable, comfortable at 65-70 indicated without windscreen, especially the way I ride, than I would have thought. I'm hard on it, like to get it hot, not afraid to use my wrist. The suspension is stiff, as are my tires and other things, and it's withstood potholes and bumps I really wish I had missed. My only gripe: I seem to keep grinding my centerstand and rear brake pedal on turns. I thought I would hate those old skinny tires, in spite of the wonderful way they look, but glory be, they're great: at speed, in the rain (lotsa in Seattle), cornering, whatever. They have never even come close to breaking loose. AM26, no way. Kick starting trick for me is making sure I've only gone 2 cycles before I "kick it"; this has solved my hot bike starting issues. I'm still confused on the kick/compression feel. Sometimes it doesn't seem like there's any and most times I feel it. I'd like to know how many degrees of the crankcase corresponds to the 90 degrees of kick. As one bystander commented on an immaculate first kick start: '" when you have a kickstart, you've earned the ride!" Bonding, you know. :-) I think the G-5 frame is a better frame than the C-5 because of the way the shocks are attached, but short of being a hardtail with a girder front fork, I'm happy. Besides, EVERYBODY loves that oldschool, military look. Only thing I would do is put a K&N without the airbox on it and get rid of all the side covers except maybe put a square cover on the battery. Those bulbous lids just don't do it for me. 4500 miles on the clock, which means about  4,000 real miles.
     As far as parts go, India has a different sense of time than we do: soon is maybe next year, whenever they get around to it!! Also, what exactly constitutes a Mo motor??
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:09:49 am by jjoe256 »

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 01:44:15 am
Joe - You have discovered why the Enfield is SUCH a good all around package! It's never been CHANGED ('til the C5 - but a whole different story!) - only TWEAKED since the 1950's .... Change for change sake does not exist in the Enfield works. There has to be a REASON to change something - and as I've found, with the engineers - a GOOD reason! Haha! Your bike works so well because of the original Iron Barrel bikes - and then the Sixty-Five - and then the Electra - all of which are essentially well tweaked Iron Barrels!

As for dragging all the parts off going around corners? Atta boy! You are using the full potential of the bike! Ride it like you stole it - I doubt that you'll hurt it!

As for the significance of the MO motor? It was updated and carefully assembled at here, in Faribault, by Mo' Money - the famous Tall, Skinny racer boy that we keep under wraps here. If we'd let him OUT, he's liable to be famous!

You are somewhat correct about the India parts schedule, too - Their parts guys are absolutely overwhelmed by the new bikes that they are building. Unlike here - it's hard to find a good and qualified parts guy "off the street" in India. They have added a few fellows from what Tim tells me - but they, too are buried in trying to keep the assembly lines moving ..... The good news in all that is that they like Tim -0 and he DOES, seriously have a "way" with them .... I have faith!

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:02 am
Again, thanx. I knew the Mo bit, but there seemed to be more to the story, like some kind of tweaks to make it "better". That and the kick degree issue were my questions.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 08:11:01 am
jjoe I have not looked closely at the center stand on the UCE machines but if it is the same as the Iron Barrels there will be a 1/2" thick rubber bumper pad on the cross piece.

I removed mine and glued on a tractor trailer radial tire patch in its place.

This roughly 1/8" thick pad allows the center stand to tuck up higher when in the stowed position and eliminated all grinding in turns.

I chose Seal All  contact cement to glue the patch on as they advertise it to be fuel and oil resistant. Over 5,000 miles and its still there. Most likely any good contact cement would work.

I used carb and choke cleaner to de grease the center stand before applying the cement. When it was almost dry I put the patch on and tapped it with a hammer to ensure complete contact and adhesion

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:45 pm
Again, thanx. I knew the Mo bit, but there seemed to be more to the story, like some kind of tweaks to make it "better". That and the kick degree issue were my questions.

Well - ANY engine that got done in Faribault got the deluxe treatment ..... hand selected parts, clearances checked for real, careful hand assembly ..... definitely better than when they were cracked apart - which was OK ...... I don't have a clue about the degree of rotation of engine vs. kicker tho .......

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 04:28:20 pm
Well, I guess I have a Military Deluxe then  ::)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 01:02:28 am
Well, I guess I have a Military Deluxe then  ::)

Well - it's one deluxe Military if nothin' else!  ;)