Author Topic: 2009 UCE owners  (Read 6752 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
on: January 28, 2011, 03:46:29 pm
There are about 200 of you - or bikes, anyway - that had the gearbox upgrade done here at CMW by yours truly. It was pretty grueling, with an average of 12 bikes a week being redone here. So far, with the warranty goggles on, there have been no reported engine problems with the little mills. We DID do a little "spookie, spookie" to most of them while they were in here to make 'em a little better ......  ::)

Feedback would be appreciated. All the CMW done engines will have a "semi colon" stamped on the engine after the serial number. Mine will have "SB" on the top of the rocker covers - and most of them have "OK" on the front behind the engine mount. Mighty Mo' Money's bikes will have "MO" on the rocker covers ...... Again - I'm just curious. I want everyone to have a GOOD one to enjoy!  ;) Thanks to all in advance for the feedback.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:06:53 pm
My C5 was done by my dealer at  Interstate Motorcycles, it was perfect when I took it in and it was perfect when I rode it home. No problems of any kind either before or after the upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:43:57 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:55:49 pm
SB, i believe mr. vince did mine  all is well
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:01:08 pm by kodai »

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:54 pm
Vince told me mine was done by you at CMW, the bike coming from unique in Ft.. Collins, Co. You know the rest.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:14 pm
My '09 G5 is very low mileage.  I got it in early Dec '10 wirh 32 miles on the odometer.  I see the ":" after the engine no., but do not see any markings on rocker covers, but have not removed the tank to see the top.  Where can I find posting on what was done?  I have had no problems except for a few wires on worng terminals behind headlamp.   With bad weather and work on new sidecar and making G-5 to Cozy mounts, i have only put about 150 miles on it so far.  GA-DK

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:48:07 am
My '09 G5 is very low mileage.  I got it in early Dec '10 wirh 32 miles on the odometer.  I see the ":" after the engine no., but do not see any markings on rocker covers, but have not removed the tank to see the top.  Where can I find posting on what was done?  I have had no problems except for a few wires on worng terminals behind headlamp.   With bad weather and work on new sidecar and making G-5 to Cozy mounts, i have only put about 150 miles on it so far.  GA-DK

If you use a mirror on the G5 you can see the tops of the rocker covers pretty easily.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:27:27 pm
If I recall the 09 military models were exempt from this tranny work.  Is that correct? 
Sam
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

jjoe256

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:38:09 pm
That's not right. Mine is an '09 Military and has the CMW : behind the engine serial #. Haven't checked the valve covers yet. Your engine serial number is stamped under the primary case, and if it was done at CMW, it will be stamped : . Mine was manufactured 3/09.  My vin last 5 digits begin 50###, so if you're in that ball park, somebody did the fix. You could check with your dealer and I think the Military bikes were some of the first bikes brought in. Or CMW knows your vin and when they stopped doing the fix.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:59:52 pm by jjoe256 »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:20:45 pm
 Not certain here but,,,,I vaguely remember something like the Militarys weren't affected but could have be be gone through anyway just allay any possible perceptions of future concerns.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 11:22:38 pm
If I recall the 09 military models were exempt from this tranny work.  Is that correct? 
Sam

Correct - All of the C5 Military bikes had chassis numbers too high to be affected. ALL of the G5 Military bikes were affected by the gearbox upgrade. VERY few of those were done at dealers.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 03:45:49 am
 Shifts as smooth as silk and the Motor  thumps like a...... kitten? No problems at all.
It would seem that I may have a collectors item on my hands. First year C-5, signed by both Scooterbob in green, and MO in orange,[fitting colors],  ;) On top of the front rocker box. Easy to see with a mechanics mirror, up through the gap near the spark plug. Also says "OK" and 7/09. I think, not great at reading backwords ::) You can also tell a thorough job was done because of, all the fastener's have torque mark on them. A good sign that they weren't rushing the work. Good job MO and SB !!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 03:54:01 pm
If you got one that we BOTH conspired on - it'll be ultra rare - and probably darn good, too! Mighty Mo' Money is even pickier than I am when it comes to repair work - and he's DARN good at it to boot ...... He probably busted my chops on something and put his "signature" on the little mill to show that it WAS, indeed, fit for consumption! Hahaha!   ;) I'm glad that it's been trouble free for you! That was the goal.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:19:45 am by ScooterBob »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:43 am
My G5 was one of those recalled units - being one of the first ones sold here. You could hear the engine grinding as it approached 50 mph  :o.  It was taken to the local dealer. He had upgraded the transmission and replaced / added new parts.  

Since then, it has travelled a good number of miles, over 12,000 so far.  Engine has been running well. I just rode it today, one kick and it started right up - ready to go  ;D.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:44 am
Hey, stop bragging!  Some of us are still trying to get to 5000 miles! ;)

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 03:07:05 am
Hey, stop bragging!  Some of us are still trying to get to 5000 miles! ;)

Scott:

I wanted to get to 20,000 miles - to check the warranty  ;).  Don't you think I am way behind ;D !
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5