Author Topic: 600 cc  (Read 5799 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
on: January 26, 2011, 11:58:16 am
Am I reading right.    Isn't the CEO  saying here that they are launching production in India of a 600 cc single   AND  working on plans for a parallel twin.   Did the 600 cc single just blow by all of us?   
http://www.royalenfields.com/2011/01/royal-enfield-is-working-on-parallel.html

i

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:18 pm
Yea, Nigel...

Article is a little confusing as to what RE are REally gonna get around to producing...

I mentioned a parallel twin to a friend of mine and he was salivating at the possibility of a UCE type of vintage twin...  said he might get rid of his HD bagger for a chance to have one...

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:21:47 pm
So I take it that , like me, you are reading a new 600 cc single AND a ne (unspecifiec displacement but maybe also 600) twin to come?      I am really surprised that nobody has jmped all over this one yet.  !    Nigel

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:30:22 pm
I assumed the mention of 600cc in this article was a reference to the cafe bike announced in an earlier press release.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:49 pm
Cafe yes:   Is that codespeak for a single (as opposed to a twin) ?   My point is , if they are making a 600 single plant for a "Cafe" , they could drop it into any of the rest of the lineup for the internatinal market.    The confusing thing is that they announced two things at once, and , ambiguously enought, the original Meteor was 600 cc.  Nigel.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:25 pm
Cafe yes:   Is that codespeak for a single (as opposed to a twin) ?   My point is , if they are making a 600 single plant for a "Cafe" , they could drop it into any of the rest of the lineup for the internatinal market.    The confusing thing is that they announced two things at once, and , ambiguously enought, the original Meteor was 600 cc.  Nigel.

The "cafe" term is just a styling term for a type of street racer that was popular in the 1960s in London. They raced from cafe to cafe, and things like that, and the name "cafe racer" became a term for them. There were singles and twins and all sorts of "cafe racer" bikes.

So, it could actually apply to the single or the twin,but in this case I think it is applied to the single, because they showed a mock up of the future cafe racer bike with the single engine in it last year.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:39 pm
I  assume the paralell twin would be a 700cc or 1000cc but could be anything as the cylinder more than likely a unit as the head (instead of seperate 4 pieces) in that case a complete redesign, just a guess.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:49:08 pm
Come to think of it , their earlier announcement of the new twins cited 700 and 1000 (obviously using existing 350 and 500 cylinder/piston sets) so , putting together both fragmetary announcemets, we can conclude
1)  Continued 500 singles
2) streaming in 600 cc singles overbored
3) new twins that will be parallel not V , in 700 and 1000,

all coming down the pike in quick succesion .  Pretty big week    Personally, I'd be far more interested to see the 600 in a Bullet than a Cafe, but that is just my taste.  Since they seem to be into model proliferation (confusingly so actually) and since the frame and mounts hsould be the same, don't see why they couldn't make the 600 available across the line.  !Nigel

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:06 pm
Come to think of it , their earlier announcement of the new twins cited 700 and 1000 (obviously using existing 350 and 500 cylinder/piston sets) so , putting together both fragmetary announcemets, we can conclude
1)  Continued 500 singles
2) streaming in 600 cc singles overbored
3) new twins that will be parallel not V , in 700 and 1000,

all coming down the pike in quick succesion .  Pretty big week    Personally, I'd be far more interested to see the 600 in a Bullet than a Cafe, but that is just my taste.  Since they seem to be into model proliferation (confusingly so actually) and since the frame and mounts hsould be the same, don't see why they couldn't make the 600 available across the line.  !Nigel

Nigel,
I think they could offer the 600cc single in the other models, and perhaps they will.

It does appear that they are ready now to approach the larger displacement arena with the twins, and fill out their line.
Alot of things getting ready to happen in a few years.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 06:06:28 pm
Anyone know if the 499cc limit has it's roots in laws/taxes in India?  I know the reason for many common displacements in Europe and Asia is that the next step up would incur significcantly higher taxes, insurance, and/or registration fees.  If that's the case then the Indian domestic market may have much lower demand for higher displacement bikes.  I'm guessing the 350 is just something that works really well with grreat mileage at moderate speeds.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 06:38:00 pm
I believe it is actually rooted in the traditional displacement limits for the Ilse of Mann 6 day trials.  An interesting interview with two brothers who ran a Brit Bike dealership (and then switched to Suzuki) discussed this point:  They met with the British exporter and begged him to bring in a higher displacement model but he replied "he couldn't"    Asked why, he cited the fact that they needed to keep the production models in the 6 day trial category.  Asked how many entires they had per year in that race , he replied "one" .!  the marquee died the same year.  Nigel

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:52:59 pm
Ah!  Kinda like how all superbikes are 600/750/1000cc.  Thanks, makes sense.

Scott

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:52 pm
They got the "last bike in production you can kickstart" comment wrong.  Try telling that to IMZ/Ural

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 07:52:27 pm
Funny, that (Panther) is exactly the bike my dad had before WW 2 in the mid 30's  .  He was fond of telling the story (regarding its acceleration) of how he dropped his girlfriend off the back on takeoff and didn't even know it until he was several blocks down the road.   Understandably , that wasn't my mother !      I'd love one.   Nigel