Author Topic: first bike  (Read 7109 times)

TheBobs

• Neophyte
on: January 25, 2011, 04:33:18 am
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while now, you have a great community.  I'm looking to get my first bike and I really like the bullet g5.  From reading posts here it seems like a great first bike. 95% of my riding will be short stuff, around town commuting to work and such.  I know from reading the forums that the g5 is perfect for that kind of thing which is why it's top on my list. 

Eventually I would like to take a few longer trips that will involve being on the highway for a while.  I was wondering if the g5 plus me and bags will have trouble on longer trips?  I know country roads are ideal, but in the case of large highways will a 200 or 300 mile day of traveling 65 to 70mph be possible? Will there be problems with power, vibrations, comfort, hills etc..?  I'm also looking at the triumph bonneville, but I would prefer the smaller bullet if it could suit my needs.

Thanks!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:52:08 am
Hi Bobs and welcome aboard !

The G5 is tough enough to slog it up through Ladhkh pass in the Himalayas (Elevation 18,000 ft )

By all accounts the UCE machines will cruise all day and night at 65 MPH but I would not take one on a modern super freeway when loaded up with gear.

Ideally on a trip like you describe secondary or two lane highways would be the routes to take.

Much less stress on you and the machine.

One advantage the Bullet does have is its good handling characteristics when the pavement ends and the "alternate route" begins.

Have you considered getting both a Bullet for primary ride and an inexpensive used Japanese bike for when you have to brave the super slab ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

TheBobs

• Neophyte
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:14:25 pm
Thanks for the response, Ice. I can avoid the major highways for a while and stick to the small country roads no problem. I sat on the bullet g5 and love it. I live in the san diego area, and the small roads should be fine. It will mean the 7 hour drive to my parents past las vegas will be a 10 or 12 hour adventure. Anything to avoid interstate 15 which can be terrifying even in a car. Thanks again and I will post again when I find my bike!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:48:55 pm
I sat on the bullet g5 and love it.

Wait till you ride it  :) :D ;D 8)

The UCE bikes have a very loyal following and rarely do used ones come up for sale.
It seems like our UCE riding forum brothers won't part with theirs for neither love nor money.

Andy Smith

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:31:00 pm
Hi TheBobs,

Ditto. Been lurking with intent for a while now. I bought an Enfield C5 back in September last year after passing my bike test here in Dubai.

I was having a tough time choosing a motorcycle having never ridden before. I looked at all the usual suspects: Harley Davidson (not enough facial hair), sports bike (probably scare myself), etc. I'd heard that an RE dealer had recently opened a showroom here in Dubai so a friend and I went along to check it out. I knew as soon as I walked in that I had to have one. Great looks, and the price was fantastic. The guys at Classic Motorcycles in Dubai sell all the range, but here we have the option of purchasing the India spec bikes for a significant amount less than the Euro/North America spec. I opted for the Euro spec machine as I ultimately may take the bike to my Native England, and I wanted to buy the bike in the military colour scheme, which was only available in the Euro spec.

Anyway, I've had the bike for 4 months now and have ridden almost 4000Kms. It's the perfect bike for bobbing around town, and it's just fantastic fun if you fancy a longer ride. I'm just back from a 450Km day-trip to Oman with two friends. The Enfield happily cruises at 110Km/h on highways, and you will struggle to stop smiling when faced with some twistys. This bike can lean;D

I'm booked on a trip to India in July. 1800Kms along from New Delhi to Leh in the Himalayas, as Ice mentioned. Can't wait!

You won't regret choosing the Enfield.
2010 RE Bullet Classic 500 EFI

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:39:31 pm
I took my C5 from Portland, OR to San Francisco.  Mostly I stayed on the coast highway but when I did have to get on the interstates it wasn't a problem.  That was well loaded with luggage and me and 12 hour days.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:27:39 pm
Hi the Bobs and Dubai Mike as well .   Boy, this forum has quite an audience. 
I don't own an Enfield yet, but I am keen.   I've looked into a lot of information about them.  FYI some of it (geramine to your questions) is included on an earleir thread on this  forum tagged "UCE as Distance Tourer" and some other links that I and others posted there.  Check it out if you haven't already   Nigel.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:46 pm
I really like the upright posture of our bullets, but anything above 60mph just ain't comfortable with my 6ft 150lbs narrow behind trying to not get blown out of the seat...

I could try a windshield, but have never cared for them.

In four seasons of riding, I've found there ain't no place I can't get to on secondary roads... better scenery, too...

Looking forward to some longer trips this summer on my C5... ;D

Mike and S&S in Michigan

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:14:21 pm by mbevo1 »
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 10:57:46 pm
Welcome aboard Andy Smith and congrats on your Bullet  8)

Andy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:28 am
... I'm just back from a 450Km day-trip to Oman with two friends.

I'm just going to assume there was more than your bike on that trip.   ;D
2010 C5 Military - "The Slug"

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:30 am
Are you associated with the a capella group, "The Bobs"?

Mbrevo- just use lower bars.  When you lean forward slightly, the wind supports your body.
Run what ya brung

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 01:22:06 pm
From reading posts here it seems like a great first bike. 95% of my riding will be short stuff, around town commuting to work and such.  I know from reading the forums that the g5 is perfect for that kind of thing which is why it's top on my list. 

Eventually I would like to take a few longer trips that will involve being on the highway for a while.  I was wondering if the g5 plus me and bags will have trouble on longer trips?  I know country roads are ideal, but in the case of large highways will a 200 or 300 mile day of traveling 65 to 70mph be possible? Will there be problems with power, vibrations, comfort, hills etc..? 

Thanks!

Like everyone else says, welcome to a great forum.

The G5 wasn't my first bike but is was my first bike in 12 years and it certainly proved an ideal way to return to motorcycling. As for type of use I am almost the exact opposite since I hardly ever make short journies and my engine has therefore spent the majority of its life at 60mph plus. Holding 65-70 for 300 miles a day is no problem at all for the engine and shouldn't be for you either. Though I must say that I have ace bars, rearsets and a non standard seat so I can't comment on the comfort of a standard G5. But there is certainly no problem with vibration.

Let us know when you buy your G5!

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:00 pm
... just use lower bars.  When you lean forward slightly, the wind supports your body.

Problem is, Ernie, I sorta have orangutan arms... when I lean over, my elbows are sticking out sideways...

More better for me to stay 60mph or under... most comfy... ;)

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 10:22:47 pm
Hi Mike, like you I was never too fussed on windscreens as such, however after fitting one to the G5, I found it to be the best thing since sliced bread, totally different bike to ride even under 60. Far less tiring for the longer run.

Cheers  :)

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:55:38 pm
Hi Mike, like you I was never too fussed on windscreens as such, however after fitting one to the G5, I found it to be the best thing since sliced bread, totally different bike to ride even under 60. Far less tiring for the longer run.

Cheers  :)

I'm still pondering it... I'm thinking along the lines of one of the massive edged vintage type... gotta fit with the look of my C5 Military...

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy