Author Topic: Announcement of 48 hp Bullet  (Read 17298 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 07:00:09 pm
Aw, C'mon.   Nigel

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:15:56 pm
Ice,
There is VERY low probability of anything like this being applicable in any state using a tailpipe sniffer at inspections. There would by no means be any expectation of something like this meeting emission control standards. I might be good, but real miracles are a bit out of my league.

"Off road use only"  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 07:37:43 pm
It's not the tailpipe sniffer, plenty of modded bikes run clean enough.  It's that whole federal law about no intake or exhaust mods at all.

Scott

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 07:52:11 pm
WRT name and the images it conveys, Chumma Aniket and ACE   , this is your baby .  "Shotgun"  might be a name for a twin that keeps the projectile image but conveys double barrel.  "Rifle , or some variation therof could be applied to a single with "interior " improvements (like the rifling on the inside of a gun barrel) for enhancement of speed range and accuracy.  (Too subtle?) I thought I put something like this up before but don't see it on the forum, unless for someone reason it got pulled off by the forum moderator.   Maybe I just forgot to hit send.   And, gentlemen,it is an honour to be sharing ink with the US Enfield  "Rolalty" all of whom appear to have been invoked in this thread.  Nigel.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:31 pm
Okay.
Well, we'll have to see what happens.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 10:40:39 pm
Yes I do.

I see California as the key to all this.

IF California with its large market falls in love with the UCE and the Fireball Idea the demand will materialize and then the economy of scale could begin coming in to play.

I have no real idea about the European market.

California does not do emissions testing on bikes. But this is a modded bike. Maybe you could but an old used RE, register it, and then mod it, but then it wont be 500 cc. Maybe as a kit bike, but that might require emissions testing.

I think India is where the market is. There are so many RE's sold there, and folks have a real passion about these bikes there too. If some of these quality innards could be produced in India at a lower price point, it would sell.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:43:10 pm by 1 Thump »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 10:48:31 pm
Cali just changed their laws.  Rather than noise and emission testing bikes officers are now allowed to write tickets based on any visible modifications.  This was mostly an easy way to ticket for overly loud mufflers since no reliale field test could be agreed on.

This is really just an enforcement policy of the current federal laws: no modifications to intake or exhaust on any new vehicles.  Sure, lots of items labeled 'track only' find their way on to street bikes and no one ever bothers them but it's all illegal.

Check out the site for the Scott Oiler.  Nice little auto chain luber that is now technically illegal to install on new bikes because tapping into the single vacuum line it needs is technically a modification to the intake.  They have a new model that doesn't rely on vacuum any more.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56:12 pm
Are you certain Fed Law says no mods allowed ?

What about all those 50 State Legal / C.A.R.B. compliant intake, EFI and exhaust parts out there for cars, trucks and Harleys ? 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 11:31:07 pm
Sorry, you're right, I was being to broad.  It's just all the mods you want that are illegal ;)  If the part meets OEM/CARB specs then it's considered an equivalent swap.  For instance, a Fram air filter is just as good as an OEM for your car.  Also, there are some filters/mufflers/other parts that flow a little more than stock, are a little louder, and are still legal.  The really good ones you think of (Power Commander, loud high flow mufflers) aren't.  And of course anything that will push the emissions past allowable limits is out.

Also, the ScottOiler is only illegal if you have to tap the same vacuum line that goes to the EVAP canister since that is deemed tampering.  Silly since it has no reall effect but that's the letter of the law.

Sorry I got over excited in my original statement.  Too much sugar today :P

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 12:45:17 am
Sorry, you're right, I was being to broad.  It's just all the mods you want that are illegal ;)  If the part meets OEM/CARB specs then it's considered an equivalent swap.  For instance, a Fram air filter is just as good as an OEM for your car.  Also, there are some filters/mufflers/other parts that flow a little more than stock, are a little louder, and are still legal.  The really good ones you think of (Power Commander, loud high flow mufflers) aren't.  And of course anything that will push the emissions past allowable limits is out.

Also, the ScottOiler is only illegal if you have to tap the same vacuum line that goes to the EVAP canister since that is deemed tampering.  Silly since it has no reall effect but that's the letter of the law.

Sorry I got over excited in my original statement.  Too much sugar today :P

Scott

What about the actual "enforcement" of these things, and does anybody really ever look at this stuff?
I mean, where I live out here in the boonies in TN, I'm sure there might be certain "laws" about some of that federal stuff too, but nobody ever pays any attention to any of it.
In your opinion, is this a real barrier, or just a technical thing that isn't really going to get anyone harrassed?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 12:56:32 am
 Legal schmeegle, I agree Ace . I'm in a pretty populated area, and you very very seldom here about someone having a problem. Unless there obnoxious. Heck, they even ended yearly inspections. I really don't think to many people would be well versed in what a RE UCE should or should not have on it. Or how it should be set up. At least around here.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:51 am
The only timed I've ever heard it get enforced are:
a) at inspection if your state has it and they're picky
b) if someone gets pulled over for making way too much noise or going way too fast.  Then they add those tickets onto whatever sillines you were already involved in. 

That's for individuals anyway.  If you're a business that takes OEM bikes, customizes them, then resells them, they still have to meet all the DOT/OEM specs.  On the other hand, if you simply sell an OEM bike to a customer, sell him some parts, and then sell him the service of installing those 'track only' parts, well if he decides to take the bike on a public road the business has done nothing wrong.  It's a fine legal line.  The same kind of thing affects kit cars that don't meet crash standards.  It's perfectly legal to buy a chassis, body, and engine, then pay the same vendor to assemble it for you.  However, if that vendor wants to sell assembled cars it's much more difficult.

I think California is the only place that anyone might enforce this with any regularity.  Even there it still seems pretty loose.  I've seen plenty of loud aftermarket exhausts when I last visited.  I think the Enfield would get bothered less.  It looks old so no one it going to pull it over suspecting it's really a 2011 model that needs to conform.  Unless you're acitn really foolish and asking to be pulled over already.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 01:44:46 am
Thanks Scott.

I think that's the key.
Because we have to be aware of all the issues that might be faced in trying to do this modification stuff, in the areas where people will want to be using it.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 02:59:12 am
 There is emissions testing in the county adjoining mine. No shortage of high dollar ( and some extremely high dollar) heavily modded car,bikes trucks there.

These modded vehicles are obiously properly tuned or they would not pass the emissions tests required to renew annual registration.

With moder EFI you can have your cake and eat it to.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:56 am
Well, gentlemaen, everyone seems to be talking turkey here., so does anyone know what the implications of Electronic Fuel Injection (made I must assume for the stock spec'd engine) are when applied to the same engine now with increased port capacity and flow through?  Will the same EFI unit work?  You can't exactly rejet it like a carb, or put on a a bigger throttle body /carb (again forgive me if I am using wrong terms here.....not a mechanic)     Would a "Power Commander " fuel mapping unit automatically self script as you ride the enhanced set up and compensate for this (as the makers suggest it would for the combination of free flow exhaust and low resistance air filters) ?     In other words  though Scooter Bob is testing the Power commander and I assume some form of free flow exhaust /filter combos, "Bolt ons"  I don't see this as an either/ or option.   Those mods could be level one, but I think they would all be part of the higher levels of hardware mods too, for the reasons noted above. 
And Ace, though I take the point that a CNC kit could never mactch an expertly polished and ported head, could this be a optional  machine copied " standard" for the larger market , and  hand finished "deluxe"  type choice for the purists.  I would think tjhe big CNC cost would be in the set up of  first one, and the at it would get less expensive with every copy produced.  So if a "pretty good" machine copy template could be be achieved, then it would reduce the cost for both the purists and those satisfied with "standard" improvement.   Nigel  ,