Author Topic: Craft Beers  (Read 3069 times)

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 11:43:23 pm
I'm a big fan of Pilsner Urquell too. I have gotten a couple of bottles with an off taste however that I put down to a long journey and time in a warehouse with no temperature control. Also green glass is not ideal.
 I am afraid no beer will ever taste as good in the US because our Gov't in its infinite wisdom requires all beer to be pasteurized which dulls the flavors no matter how good the beer is. In Europe they do not require that step and it makes a huge difference. Its the same thing with cheese.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:07 pm
Interesting info Prof-Stack. Yes, I've never found a beer/bier as good here as what was in Germany in the early 60's. But it's close and Pilsn is my go-to beir.

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 12:30:11 am
Ok this is my favorite subject so the best of late is Lukcy Bastard from Stone Brewing Co. and yes it is spelled Lukcy. It is a very hoppy beer.

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:04:40 am
My recent favorite, aside from what's brewing locally at the Blind Pig, is Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Very difficult to get ahold of, and expensive, but easily one of the best beers I've ever had. And dangerous, at a very drinkable 13% ABV.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 01:56:13 am
13% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that would be sparkling barley wine
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 02:31:50 am
Not sure if you are all aware of it, but we have our own award-winning brewer right here on this forum.

"Aleman" runs the Second Street Brewery in Santa Fe, NM, and has some outstanding brews of his own.

AND, he owns a Fireball!
A man of VERY good taste! ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 03:33:04 am
13% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that would be sparkling barley wine

It's a finely crafted, aged strong stout -- very complex flavor that's a great mix of raw and refined, and the alcohol doesn't hit you over the head or make your mouth sticky like barleywine. You gotta try it.

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/bourbon_county_stout/59.php

robbw

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:36 am
Here's a link to the top 10 reasons you should buy craft beer.  They make a compelling argument.
http://www.brewfanatics.com/the-top-ten-reasons-why-you-should-drink-craft-beer/

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 05:37:18 am
 Thanks for the link.

Back when the drinking age was 18, we would drive to Canada and bring back beer/bier.  It was worth the drive because it just tasted better,,even warm.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:47 am
Here's a link to the top 10 reasons you should buy craft beer.  They make a compelling argument.
http://www.brewfanatics.com/the-top-ten-reasons-why-you-should-drink-craft-beer/
Keep in mind that the big boys know HOW to make great beer.  They've got the science, the technology, and the skills to make the best beer you've ever had.  Problem is, though, they have shareholders to take care of.  Budweiser probably spends more $ on advertising than on making their "rice" beer.

Having said that, I have had many craft beers that were sloppily made and just didn't taste like a good beer.  There was a shakeout of the craft brew industry a while back and I think those around now are doing a better job, especially compared to the early micro-brewers (as they used to be called) who opened up breweries with lots of enthusiasm and not enough skill and capital to make it stick.

In the NW the survivors make quality stuff:  Big Time Brewery, Elysian, Redhook, Hales, Mac and Jack's, and Alpine (Colville, WA) are names that roll off my brain.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.