Author Topic: Bar end mirrors mounting  (Read 3067 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: January 23, 2011, 06:31:13 pm
Hey guys, been scoping bar end mirrors out lately. I basically wanna go with one smaller round one on the left side only. Saw several kinds and mount types and of course the CRG brand stuck out as being a nice piece. Pricey of course but i guess you get what you pay for sometimes. Anyway, my one main question is about the mounting. I see they mount on the end of the grip(empty bar section) or they have adapters that fit the inner bar and they hook up to those. Well, do the adapters expand when you tighten the bolt or are they intended for bikes having end weights with a threaded hole on the inside? Also, are you just suppose to trim the rubber out on the end of the grip to slide the adapter in? Just trying to figure this out if i go that route. Thanks

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:09:46 pm
  I went with Ken Sean bar end mirrors (less than $40 a pair delivered off Flea-Bay).  I had to trim the grip on the end to install them.  These are rubber mount type that you just tighten the bolt to expand the rubber plug.  Basically vibration free.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:39 pm
Got mine off Ebay for $20 or so shipped. Had to trim the grip like Blackwolf on the clutch side and also cut the throttle tube end off on the throttle side if you want that side also. The stick it end and tighten the allen bolt to sciye them. Best rear view view I've ever had on a bike. My bike is a Qlink XF200 SM. Still looking to get a RE.

The bar end mirrors have like bar end weights which also help to dampen the thumper vibes. 
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:24:03 pm
I have bar ends on two of my Bullets...I love them...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:33:24 pm
Thanks for all the heads up guys. I am just trying to feel out all options right now. I was kinda upset when i found out the CRG ones aren't available in chrome, just black and silver. I was also at the local Yamaha dealer the other day and they had some bar end mirrors for snowmobiles that were like 17 bucks. The mount was weird though as it had like a Velcro strap which tightened on the end of the grip. Something you would feel holding on the grip etc. Right now i actually have the stock chrome Yamaha mirrors off of my Roadliner on the enfield. Stock take off on one bike and an upgrade on the other haha. They look great and have good function too, i just have always liked bar end mirrors. Ill keep an eye out and just take my time with it as i have a decent set up now ya know. Thanks again guys and please feel free to keep the ideas coming. The bike show is coming up by me in a couple weeks so maybe someone will have some there i can see in person etc,

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:26:14 am
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:40:15 pm
Hi John:

I have a 2004 Bullet 65. Just got sick of using and trying to keep the lolly-pop style mirrors on my bike focused. I got the barenders free with a previous order from CMW. That was quite a while ago. They went into my "I'll do it later" box amd were forgotten until this past summer. I found the left to be easy to install as long as the clutch lever mounting is inboard enough to accomodate the mirror. The trick was installing the mirror on the throttle side. As soon as I tightened the nut to hold the mirror, the twist of the throttle was locked tight. Hmmm ! ! I found a small round shimm with a hole the same size as the mounting bolt and a washer lilkewise. These acted as a spacer between the end of the handlebar and the bar end mirror. Thus I could twist the throttle without the mirror coming loose. Other than that it was quite easy. I wanted a balanced look and mirrors on both sides. I don't think I could get the bike past state inspection with only one mirror on the clutch side. And yes, you do have to trim some of the end of the grips to accomodate the mirrors.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:22:16 pm
Thanks again everyone. Looks like the options are there! I just gotta feel it out and see where to go with it etc.

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:29:15 am
I've had a hell of a time with the mirrors that I ordered off of the NField Gear site.  I originally installed them last summer: http://retropopplanet.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-which-her-majesty-gets-new-earrings.html

The throttle assembly was pretty easy to work around and slide down a tad.  The right side is perfect, it's the left that I've been unhappy with. About two months after I posted this entry to my old blogger account I went to adjust the mirror and it came loose.  I destroyed the little custom wingnut, was not able to find a suitable replacement (I even tried rubber stoppers) so I recently ordered a whole new mirror. That'll be this spring's project.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 01:53:26 am
I've had a hell of a time with the mirrors that I ordered off of the NField Gear site.  I originally installed them last summer: http://retropopplanet.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-which-her-majesty-gets-new-earrings.html

The throttle assembly was pretty easy to work around and slide down a tad.  The right side is perfect, it's the left that I've been unhappy with. About two months after I posted this entry to my old blogger account I went to adjust the mirror and it came loose.  I destroyed the little custom wingnut, was not able to find a suitable replacement (I even tried rubber stoppers) so I recently ordered a whole new mirror. That'll be this spring's project.

Wow what a perfect post to reference haha. Thanks. Our bikes look pretty close except mine is black and i didn't get the tan solo seat yet. It has the black solo with white stitching from the enfield store installed by the PO. Anyway, i like your mirrors. I was probably gonna just do the left side only so no worries about the throttle etc. The site says they might have clearance issues with the clutch lever though. Did you encounter that?

Conquistahore

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 03:34:12 am
Ha...I asked the forum first before I started the project, as I always do, but I've discovered with these bikes that no two are alike. That's part of the fun.  The right  grip took a little bit of tinkering. I had to cut a wider diameter circle for the throttle.  I test-fit several times to make absolute sure that there weren't any clearance issues.  I had heard horror stories about the lever getting stuck.  I also loosened the starter assembly and unscrewed the brake lever and shifted down once.  It still didn't provide enough clearance so I did it again.  Third time was a charm, and now the mirror is completely firm.  All things considered I was pleased with the results, but since it's a slow rolling bike having a mirror on the right isn't as important to me (safety wise) as having the left.

I've been purchasing new projects for the spring this winter (new 7inch headlight, turn signals, taillight, and I also want a new seat.  The solo was on the bike at purchase but it is a little large for me.  I want the solo with the springs!