Author Topic: Missing after carb change  (Read 1489 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: January 21, 2011, 05:32:53 pm
Swapped the OEM carb and initially had no problems except I had to adjust the float slightly cause fuel ran out of the overflow hose. Starts first kick, idles smooth, no backfires or frontfires, lower to midrange pulls much better, no dead spots like the 28mm had @ midrange. The problem arises at fairly high speeds under load climbing a grade, bike starts to miss slightly always at 3/4 to full throttle. New plug, stock jets that come with the 30mm Flatslide CMW offers. If I overadjusted the floatbowl what would be the result. ???Joe
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:39:19 pm
could be your main jet is a little rich....

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:21:57 pm
Adjusting the needle might help..  You might also be running up against the limit of the air filter.   I had a similar issue when I had the rain shield on my air filter,  took it off and all was good.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:33:26 pm
I had to adjust the float slightly cause fuel ran out of the overflow hose. The problem arises at fairly high speeds under load climbing a grade, bike starts to miss slightly always at 3/4 to full throttle. If I overadjusted the floatbowl what would be the result. ???Joe
  Overflow leaked a little on side or center stand? Does the overflow tube rise above the float before it goes down?  IE float may have been ok. Done a full throttle plug chop?  Ignition getting 13,7 volts or better?  what color the plug?
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:00:33 pm
sounds lean to me....  these carbs are less forgiving...
 if it wuz rich I think it would just bog and
not increase any more...   at least that is what happened in my case.
maybe move the clip down on the needle?      
     - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:29 pm
Plug's charcoal inside the case & the gaps good. Electrode's gray to brown from the tip in. Went for a ride today in 32F now MY electrode's gray to brown from the tip in.... :-[BRRRRRRR But seriously the bike ran fine as long as I was on level ground,pulls great. Start up a long incline running 60, say 5% and it starts breaking up a little but only on the incline, flat surface no prob. IT almost FEELS electrical but I am wondering about that initial float adjustment I made; maybe it hung up on some crud which has since left and NOW the floats off? Joe   
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:14 pm
"electrode's gray to brown from the tip in." Your running LEAN. May be caused by a LOW float level.
Sort out the 3/4 and up throttle leanness before you have serious problems. If a drop or two on the needle clip doesn't cure it then re-set float. If that  doesn't  cure it the go up ONE size main. I don't think your very far off by your description of symptoms but I bet it builds high heat very fast with throttle open.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:12:27 pm
I don't know this particular type of carb, but in cold weather the chances of it being too lean are much greater than it being too rich.

Additionally, while there may be a float level issue, the part about going uphill and having the symptom doesn't necessarily indicate float level problem.  On hills, the throttle is open wider to handle the additional load, and that would put you further up onto the main jet, which may be where the problem is.

I would change to the next higher size main jet, and see what happens.
Typically 3/4 throttle to full throttle is main jet territory, and it's cold outside, and you could very well be needing more main jet.

Unless you took your plug reading at a large throttle opening with a plug chop and shut the engine down from that throttle position, the color of the plug is meaningless for assessing this situation.

General rule of thumb is try the next size up, and observe the result. If it gets better, but not enough, then go up another one.
If it gets worse, go down a jet size and see if that fixes it..
Home of the Fireball 535 !