Poll

How much would you pay for a 1000 cc parallel vertical UCE EFI twin ?

$ 7000-7500
$ 7501-8000
$ 8001-8500
$ 8501-9000
$ 9001-9500
$ 9501-10000

Author Topic: How much would you pay....  (Read 1718 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 21, 2011, 01:09:10 am
I would buy it if it cost less than a Bonnie, even if it cost the same as a bonnie. Oh yea, A parallel 1000 cc twin in a C5 frame, 21" front wheel.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:46 am
but there won,t be one , this is all press roumours ,
arthritis hurts at my age!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:31:01 am
But we can wish,,,,,and dream,,,and discuss,,,and plan  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:29 am
the press report , was to teep there share prices up , due to harley opening up there , there is no call for this bike in india ,asmost indians are happy with the home 350 model,  and exported it would be a total loss ,

indian made 2 cyl bike ??? , what when you can buy a kawasuzihonda thats reliable for 2/3rds the price?

ps here is a home model 350 ,
(on ebay UK)  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150551250906&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D150551250906%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

in india its called an electa , stock cast iron 350 lump mated to an electra primary , with a drum brake?
arthritis hurts at my age!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:46:28 am
Br. enfield freddy, I do see your point and agree for the most part.

In the Indian market a RE twin would likly be aimed at the at the well to do and would not be the bread and butter.

It would be a source of corporate pride as the flagship of the line as well as signifying RE's arrival in the big time.

I think there is good chance that an RE twin would eventualy outsell the Bullet in the States as such a bike would be more freeway capable.

Just my 2ยข FWIW

No matter where you go, there, you are.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:10:27 pm
Eh, not interested. I'd rather see a 750 Interceptor re-make (equally unrealistic), for which I would pay up to the cost of a new Bonnie.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:09 pm
The idea of a twin is pretty neat, but for my use I wouldn't buy one.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:04:49 pm
I doubt it will ever happen. For a Indian made twin in the states to sell it would have to overcome a significant amount of snobbery. there's the brit twin snobs who take exception at everything but a goose.  Road race twits, and of course the Harley Davidson crowd that dosen''t have any ability to think outside of bolt on performance, fringe and high heels. There is a resurgence of old Japanese bikes being cafes ect who won't compromise on cost,engine performance or longevity.
  So...that means buy a new Bonnie (no thanks)  buy a HD  and hang out with the wannabe's, restore a older brit twin (at least its not a HD) build a ricer on the cheap like the young hooligans or build a hot rod RE to satisfy. That's just the way it is in all parts of the USA I have seen. Not nanny  here can appreciate a Machine for what it is...the idiots have to attach a image to it and they can't think for themselves.
   Sadly there are so few who do that a Indian made twin would be a monetary nose dive even  with an actual English made motor . The niche for RE is very small here in the states. It may grow a bit as non-wrenchers buy a few UCE's but we know what most of them will do after a few hundred  miles.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:25:21 pm by 500KsGerry »
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:34 pm
Yeah, I'd rather just build a Fireball cafe racer out of an iron-barrel Bullet basket case.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 11:39:20 pm
Yeah, I'd rather just build a Fireball cafe racer out of an iron-barrel Bullet basket case.
I would enjoy looking at a RE twin. Not in the market.
 I don't use a side car, or run at highway speeds.

So the cost is too high for me.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:47:42 am
I doubt it will ever happen. For a Indian made twin in the states to sell it would have to overcome a significant amount of snobbery. there's the brit twin snobs who take exception at everything but a goose.  Road race twits, and of course the Harley Davidson crowd that dosen''t have any ability to think outside of bolt on performance, fringe and high heels. There is a resurgence of old Japanese bikes being cafes ect who won't compromise on cost,engine performance or longevity.
  So...that means buy a new Bonnie (no thanks)  buy a HD  and hang out with the wannabe's, restore a older brit twin (at least its not a HD) build a ricer on the cheap like the young hooligans or build a hot rod RE to satisfy. That's just the way it is in all parts of the USA I have seen. Not nanny  here can appreciate a Machine for what it is...the idiots have to attach a image to it and they can't think for themselves.
   Sadly there are so few who do that a Indian made twin would be a monetary nose dive even  with an actual English made motor . The niche for RE is very small here in the states. It may grow a bit as non-wrenchers buy a few UCE's but we know what most of them will do after a few hundred  miles.

These are really good points - BUT - I prefer to think of the RE as the ANTI-NICHE market bike. It's NOT a cruiser (niche) or a sport bike (niche) or an adventure touring bike (niche) or a touring bike (niche) or some wanna-be repop nostalgia-alike retro ride (NICHE!) - the RE is just a motorcycle! A blank slate, if you will, that can appeal to many people - not just a "certain" group. Think about it .....

If (IF!) the export market will support a twin - Siddarth will build it. If the India Domestic Market will support half of it - all the better. There IS a movement afoot for the twin - but it has to make financial sense for REM. They don't believe in "build it and they will come" - they want to see empirical data that the bike will sell. I think it will - and I think it'll lend itself to all kinds of fun and unique modifications to make it whatever the new owner wants it to be - since it will be "just" a motorcycle when it gets here .....  ;)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:53 am
 I would recommend a twin built to the Carberry pattern,(Aniket's V angle is too large for my taste). If they were going to design new cases why not go all the way? Big inch vertical twins aren't that popular, and that Vincent look and manners are irresistible. And yeah, for that I'd go 10 grand.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.