Author Topic: Royal Enfield conceptualizing twin Cylinder 750 and 1000cc motorcycles!  (Read 20277 times)

jayprashanth

• Scooter
 Gentlemen,

Royal Enfield is contemplating 750cc and 1000cc motorcycles sometime after 2013.

I write for www.indiancarsbikes.in and I just did a gig on this topic sometime ago.->

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/interviews/gul-panag-talks-team-icb-auto-25176/

I thought I'd share this with you folks as we all love Bullets!

Cheers,

Jay

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
I had trouble reading the text with all those thoroughly distracting photos!   ;D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
yah i skipped most of the text .
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Yeah, that borders on NSFW. ;)

I'd really love to see a 750 twin.  I dig twins and 750-800cc is really where I like a street bike to be.  Any more than that and it's tough to keep my behavior responsible on the street.  I hope it's  a parallel twin.  I really love the custon v-twin Enfields people have built but I really like RE for its respective nod to the past.  Since the older bikes were parallel twins I think they should keep that configuration.  And it just looks right on a British bike.

Scott

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Remember too that RE was famous for its big Vtwins in the 20's and 30's.
cheers
Warwick
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
I completely agree with you perspective Scotty.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Remember too that RE was famous for its big Vtwins in the 20's and 30's.
cheers
Warwick

Sorry, guess I'm biased toward the 50s and 60s bikes ;)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
A parallel vertical UCE twin . Vibrations anyone ?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
@Jay:

Your article with Gul Panag, huh, thoroughly enjoyed it - I did not know she was a Punjabi and a Sikh !  

If RE comes up with a twin cylinder 750 or 1000 cc engine, it will be a good move.  The RE faithful will love to have a bigger engine bike.  It will definitely compete with Harley Sportster 883 cc bikes which are the most likely ones to sell in any significant numbers in India.  Moreover, a twin RE can also compete abroad with other twins such as Bonneville.

The very big HD bikes will not be bread winners in India, they may sell a very few of those.  Bigger HD bikes do not pose a real competition to RE.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:33:36 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
A twin would be cool, but I'll stick with a single. A 500cc one lunger gives me the best riding sensation. I've owned a lot of twins, and multi's and I like them all but for some reason the single makes me grin the most :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:51:53 pm by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead

If RE comes up with a twin cylinder 750 or 1000 cc engine, it will be a good move.  The RE faithful will love to have a bigger engine bike.  It will definitely compete with Harley Sportster 883 cc bikes which are the most likely ones to sell in any significant numbers in India.  Moreover, a twin RE can also compete abroad with other twins such as Bonneville.

The very big HD bikes will not be bread winners in India, they may sell a very few of those.  Bigger HD bikes do not pose a real competition to RE.  
I agree singh, and alot of that logic you can apply over here. Harley has been paying more attention to the Sporty lately, most likely do to the economy.I always thought it was their best all around  bike. IF RE were to bump it up a bit with a twin, and really push and market it  over here, and depending on the price, It would do well.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
 In a sort of apples to apples kind of way;
 It would not surprise me if a Royal Enfield P-Twin would eventually out sell the Bullet here in the States provided the price point were closer to the Bullet than the Bonnie.

Of course a strategic ad campaign would have to be launched ahead of time and good reviews in the magazines would help.

Having them seen in T.V. and motion pictures would be icing the cake.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
'to me, the problem with the Sportster and where RE could eat their lunch in theirown backyard so to speak, is that the Sportster has strayed from it's original "Standard" configuration in pursuit of shorter legged and female riders.......not that this isn't a worthy objective, but they have deserted their full sized standard riding position market in the process.   The "slammed" gunslinger type sportsters are A) too short peg to seat or B) force you to use forward pegs which is hard on the legs and but and C) destroys the ground clearance and D) severely limits suspension travel and lean angle.   If they got back to the height of machines of tlate 80s and make some real improvements in suspension, I think the 883 is all you need.   The other issue is their aftermarket parts are real $$$$    and RE beats them there too.   Nigel

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
BINGO !!!

The genesis of the Sporster was a Sports model. It was NOT a touring model.

It was H-D's answer to the lithe and lively handling Britt and European bikes of the day.

Sportsters have gotten bigger, heavier and fatter as of late and size wise are closer to the Big Twin touring models of yesteryear.

Park one next to a Pan Head and you will see what I mean.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
   The other issue is their aftermarket parts are real $$$$    and RE beats them there too.   Nigel
I think the only reason Harley still builds bikes, is to support their after market parts line. ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.