Author Topic: 750cc Royal Enfield?  (Read 22174 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:15 pm
Caught that line in an article, copy and pasted below.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/show/royal-enfield-bullet-planning-to-take-on-harley-136254?pfrom=home-Business

Royal Enfield, which makes the popular Bullet motorcycles, is getting ready for a new ride – faster and more powerful.

With an aim to take on the legendary Harley Davidson, Royal Enfield is working on a twin-cylinder 750 cc and 1 litre engines for which conceptualization work is being carried out. The bikes may hit markets after 2013.

While it waits for that launch, a new and refreshed Thunderbird is in the offing. It also plans a new range of bikes on the Café Racer concept which will hit the market in two years. It has also not ruled out diesel two wheelers and the hunt is on for the right partners.

Royal Enfield is not willing to comment about any specific plans of the engine configuration but admit that, down the road, plans for bigger and faster bikes are being worked upon. The immediate focus, however, is to meet the existing demand.

Sources also say that while the decision on a second plant that can produce 150,000 units will be taken this quarter, the company is also contemplating assembling two wheelers at its plant in Jaipur, which has been shut since.

“If the drawing board plans can be executed with perfection, its loyal customers will love every ride even more,” said Vaishali Jajoo, an auto analyst at Angel Broking.

The plan is to sell 70,000 units this fiscal which the company aims to touch 100,000 units by FY-12 but for those goals to be achieved setting up of a new plant at the earliest will be the key. Or else customers may move to other bigger motorcycles from Mahindra & Mahindra and others which will hit the market soon.

Read more at: http://profit.ndtv.com/news/show/royal-enfield-bullet-planning-to-take-on-harley-136254?pfrom=home-Business&cp
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:28 pm
Hmm,  a modern RE vertical twin. I would have a hard time not buying it if it were done as well as the C5/G5 designs.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:49:14 pm
Well - There has been a persistent RUMOUR to that effect ..... and the UCE engine case IS offset about a half a cylinder width at the parting line ..... and 350cc "guts" are already out there to make 700 cc's (Interceptor!) - and finally - the concept isn't wasted on the boys in the Factory - OR Siddatha Lal.

Personally, I think that a parallel twin of 700cc's with about 60-65hp in the light Enfield frame couldn't be beat. I'd have one in my garage as soon as they were available! They'd kill Harley on every accord in India - it's an ENFIELD, it's less money, it's less tax - and you KNOW those engineers would design at least 60mpg's right into it ....
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 11:02:22 pm
Displacment wise RE will have to do way more than 750 to compete with Harley. The  mass public will judge by the numbers. In my opinion 500 does just fine for me.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:40 pm
Power to weight ratio baby  ;D
Gimme that liter sized paralell twin  8)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:08:49 am
i have to think they are looking seriously at something larger for their export market.. as scooterbob has stated, their domestic market is 350 cc anyway...it wouldn't be hard for them to engineer and market a 700cc bike that still gets great mileage and twice the HP...it would be fantastic and one would think a good business plan which they already have, should be able to pull it off without much risk. keep it under 10k and it will sell for the  2012-13 timeframe. I also have  4-5 color combinations and a few factory extras to compete with the rest of the industry.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:14:56 am
  Stands to reason that in the domestic market RE's twin cylinder offerings would likely have far more buyer appeal than a comparatively over size/weight/priced H-D.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:48 pm
Power to weight ratio baby  ;D
Gimme that liter sized paralell twin  8)

Hail yeah! can you IMAGINE what 75 stump pullin' horse ponies would feel like on a less-than-400-pound machine? Especially an Enfield .... it would make you see sparkles, I think!! Haha!  ;D

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:50 pm
i have to think they are looking seriously at something larger for their export market.. as scooterbob has stated, their domestic market is 350 cc anyway...it wouldn't be hard for them to engineer and market a 700cc bike that still gets great mileage and twice the HP...it would be fantastic and one would think a good business plan which they already have, should be able to pull it off without much risk. keep it under 10k and it will sell for the  2012-13 timeframe. I also have  4-5 color combinations and a few factory extras to compete with the rest of the industry.

You know - I heard what you just said - almost word for word - straight from the TOP of the Enfield company ..... I ain't holdin' mah breffs, BUT ........  ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:10 pm
Hail yeah! can you IMAGINE what 75 stump pullin' horse ponies would feel like on a less-than-400-pound machine? Especially an Enfield .... it would make you see sparkles, I think!! Haha!  ;D

That power to weight ratio would put such a bike in legue with super cars  ;D

Wrap that lump in a Rickman or Egli frame and I will see more than sparkles,,,,,,,,, 8)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:20:15 pm
do u guys think that the existing bullet frame could safely accommodate the HP generated by a 700cc twin for street use...I 've have the 500 cc up to to maybe 68 mph downhill and it was getting pretty wild ...What do u think they could do to condition the frame and front end ??? different forks, belt drive, wider tires, a little more weight of metal in the manufacturing???   Keep it the same and basically have it essentially a plug n play type of process???
Oh Magoo you done it again

Gunga Din

• Northern Bullet
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:48 am
Is there any chance these new engines will be V-twins, and not parallel twins? 

Archersix

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:34 am
Is there any chance these new engines will be V-twins, and not parallel twins? 

I hope not!
That guy who built the V in his garage did a bang up job, but an Enfield twin should be parallel.

Gunga Din

• Northern Bullet
  • Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:59:21 am
Do you mean the Musket? Why would you rule out a V-twin from India?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:15 am
 The V type twin would hearken back to the R.E.'s of the early 20th century and does have its charms but the parallel twin design would be received as more interceptor in flavor IMHO.