Author Topic: 750cc Royal Enfield?  (Read 22263 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 11:21:42 am
Is there any chance these new engines will be V-twins, and not parallel twins? 

The world is already polluted with Vee-Twin junque - and although Royal Enfield DID make a Vee-Twin early on - they quickly learned that only unshaven, unsavory characters liked them - so they invented the parallel twin so that neat and proper fellows could enjoy them .......  ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 03:05:34 pm
scooterbob: so in other words you would look better on a v twin but the parallel twin would sell better.. ;heeeeeeee
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 06:17:17 pm
do u guys think that the existing bullet frame could safely accommodate the HP generated by a 700cc twin for street use...I 've have the 500 cc up to to maybe 68 mph downhill and it was getting pretty wild ...What do u think they could do to condition the frame and front end ??? different forks, belt drive, wider tires, a little more weight of metal in the manufacturing???   Keep it the same and basically have it essentially a plug n play type of process???

With a few tweaks here and there I think so.

Aniket Verdhan's Musket V-Twin Bullet does fine with the frame only being stretched a tad to accommodate his engine.

Br. GreenMachine if your experiencing instability at 68 MPH that is not normal for the Bullet.
 For greater insight on the subject please search the threads for gashouse gorillas findings and how he cured it in his Bullet.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 08:08:47 pm
scooterbob: so in other words you would look better on a v twin but the parallel twin would sell better.. ;heeeeeeee
I'll have you know that Rick Fairless and I often get mistaken for each other .......  ;D
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

CCTXCN

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 06:14:22 pm
I would like a 750-800 parallel twin and a 1000 twin! I'll keep my AVL until the twin comes out! ??? ???

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 06:50:59 pm
I like both parallel twin and vee-twin.
Wouldn't matter much to me.
I think parallel would be easier for them to do.

In the old days, the singles and the twins both had basically the same frame.
I think they could do that today too.

As for the high speed stability, I don't see any problem there.
The old Bullet can be nice and stable at 100mph(with a modified engine, of course).

I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't do this pretty easily, and in an affordable way.
If they were to do this parallel twin, I would recommend that they style it like the Interceptor Series 2. It would be another type of "retro bike" that could fit the heritage, and I would rather see Interceptor styling than the older 50s Meteor styling.
Broaden the appeal, so there is a 50s look with the C5 single, and a late 60s look with the twin. IMHO.
But if they wanted to do it the least expensive way possible, they could just use almost all of the same frame and bodywork as the C5. That would make the fewest number of extra parts to build, and allow them to keep the price as low as possible, because of using existing production parts as much as possible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:56:45 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 01:19:19 pm
I would be thrilled by whatever configuration they used.But I would not be able to actually but one.Unless I owned a property by then and could refinance.Hmmmmm........

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 02:28:09 am
The reason Harley went V-twin is it was the cheapest way to increase the engine size. Same case/crank, same frame. Most Americans think of British twins as  parallel but they forget the Vincent. Kawasaki flopped miserably with the w650 but now they  are bringing it back as an 800. I see  the real competition for an RE twin in the Triumphs. A 1000cc twin could shake them up but it would have to perform better.   

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:46 am
Yeah there have been tons of British V twins, Royal Enfield,  BSA, AJS, JAP, Rudge-Whitworth, Hesketh, Ariel, Brough Superior, Norton, Coventry eagle were just a few to build them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:47:16 am by r80rt »
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

RAKe

• You'll Never See a Motorcycle Parked In Front of a Therapist's Office
  • Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 01:49:07 am
Just read this thread--so RE is (was) considering a 700cc twin for the American market.  I think such a move would be costly to the company, trying to compete with the classic line of Triumph Bonnevilles, which have dominated that class of bikes since their re-introduction.  I think RE would be better off sticking with their existing niche product.  But who am I to say?

196? Triumph 500 (basket case), 1968 BSA 650 (ran, but needed work), 1976 Triumph T140V 750 (ran well -- sometimes), 2004 Harley-Davidson XL883C, 2007 Harley-Davidson FXDB

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 01:55:57 pm
Just read this thread--so RE is (was) considering a 700cc twin for the American market.  I think such a move would be costly to the company, trying to compete with the classic line of Triumph Bonnevilles, which have dominated that class of bikes since their re-introduction.  I think RE would be better off sticking with their existing niche product.  But who am I to say?

That's kinda how I feel about it.
There's enough "wishtheywereharleys" out there.
There's enough "wishtheyweretriumphs" out there.

REM should stick to what they know best and work on getting it 100% right.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 01:15:48 am
Vincent Black Shadow inspired 1000cc Carberry Enfields are now in production for those with a V fetish, though registration may be an interesting issue in some localities (stock bullet frame modified engine) ...

http://www.carberryenfield.com.au/FAQ.html

personally I would love Enfield to follow the OTHER great British classic design and bring out a variant of the Ariel Square Four but that is pretty unlikely ...