Author Topic: HELP! Full battery but NO lights, starter, nothing  (Read 10005 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: January 17, 2011, 07:06:25 pm
Bike on center-stand, kick-starter up, neutral, key on.  NO lights, nothing.

Pull clutch in, no change.  No fuel pump whine.  No power.

Battery measured 13.4V, as expected with Battery Tender doing its thing.

All 20A fuses are fine. 

The C5 stays in the garage.  It's been moist in there lately with all the rains the NW has been getting. 

Any ideas?  Thanks!
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:18:51 pm
Grounds clean and tight? Trace your voltage from your battery. Do you have a schematic?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:52:32 pm
Ducati Seattle owner Dave responded, on the shop's day off, to my email. 

He suggested checking the battery terminals (they were tight) and then wiggling the wire bundle under the headlamp.

Nothing happened until I REALLY wiggled it.  Then all the lights, and the fuel pump, came roaring back to life.  I will let the shop inspect further, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:14:33 pm
Ducati Seattle owner Dave responded, on the shop's day off, to my email. 

He suggested checking the battery terminals (they were tight) and then wiggling the wire bundle under the headlamp.

Nothing happened until I REALLY wiggled it.  Then all the lights, and the fuel pump, came roaring back to life.  I will let the shop inspect further, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Pull the headlamp and check the connection at the key switch and both handlebar switch modules. Be sure the pins are pushed ALL the way in and the connectors are snapped together. Also check the harness where it goes around the right side of the steering neck .... the VIN number pad is abrasive and could possibly have "bitten" a wire.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:34:58 pm
I'm sure it won't be any thing terrible
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:58:00 pm
You don't mention the kill switch. Just a thought.

Oops - just seen your second post.   :-[
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:00:34 pm by clubman »

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:33:15 pm
Yeah, with a wiggle of the wiring all was fine.  It sure was fun riding it again.

I took it to the shop (closed on Mondays).  Mechanic Marty showed up and put it inside.  They'll look at it tomorrow or Wednesday. 

A full report is forthcoming.  Thanks for the replies!

saint45

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:54:12 am
Hey Prof-
Had a similar thing happen to mine. A break inside one of the cables was the problem. Munroe motors fixed it(great dealer if you are in the ca. bay area), now better than new! also had a wire on one of the fuse boxes rubbing against metal. hope this helps.....

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:30 pm
Don't suppose Enfield wiring has any connection to Land Rover wiring? Just wondering that's all.
Robert.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:40 pm
Don't suppose Enfield wiring has any connection to Land Rover wiring? Just wondering that's all.
Robert.

Yes - yes they are of similar English Heritage and require the same maintenance ....... you have to have one of these on hand at all times:

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

;D ;D ;D ;D

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:47:00 pm
Ahh,precious S.B. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 03:57:14 pm
lucas ....notorious for gremlins in their wiring (brits call it electrics)...I could never understand why they didn't just upgrade their wire gauge, etc once they knew it was problematic from the beginning...Why did they continue to just keep steering straight and off a cliff is beyond me...i guess they had to maintain the eccentric qualities of their machines...Don't we know...
Oh Magoo you done it again

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:30 pm
I've always found Lucas wiring to quite sound in design and manufacture - where it all falls apart is the total lack of attention that most of it receives - until some extension cord havin' HACK dives right in and starts re-engineering.

Case in point - I had a very early production MGB that had only amassed about 50K miles on the clock due to "continual electrical problems" according to the previous owner. Once home with the car, I removed enough speaker wire, lamp ballast wire, Romex (!) wire, Scotch-Locks, wire nuts, toggle switches, HOUSE light switches, balls of masking tape, balls of electrical tape and random other bits of sh!t to fill a milk crate. Once back to the original wiring, cleaned, repaired and checked out - the ONLY fault was that the grommet on the left front inner fender, where the wiring passes through to go to the headlight, was displaced and the high-beam (blue / red trace) wire had rubbed on the cars body creating a short to ground. This was the ONLY problem that I found with the harness - other than the jackass that had BEEN working on it ........

It's a known fact that Lucar connectors are a bit sketchy - and that every termination that ISN'T a little tiny brass screw will turn green if the humidity is above 4% ... but the REST of the stuff is pretty good ......  ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:19 pm
 Yes, and not to mention, alot of guys get into trouble not realizing or understanding that alot of that stuff is POSITIVE GROUND.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:53 pm
okay I stand corrected...Maybe I'm thinking of something else or something I read in those Brit Bike mags...So the grounds need a little maintenance and the connector can use a occasional cleaning /replacing...I'll keep in mind the positive ground too..
Oh Magoo you done it again