Author Topic: Electra Conversion  (Read 4845 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: January 26, 2008, 02:08:01 am
Hey All,

Well I finished up the conversion of the bulky rear subframe to a lighter rear fender bracket.

Also changed out the tail light, license plate bracket, turn signals, and ditched the saddlebags.

Here's before and after photos:

http://members.verizon.net/allofusmorrows/Conversion.htm

I also took the ovum-pod cases off and like the look.
I think I'll go ahead and saw off the brackets.

Next up, the wonky mirrors will have to go. I'll probably go with bicycle bar-ends.

Maybe this summer I'll effect the final changes:
Ditch the sidecovers altogther and relocate the battery to the center and in front of the rear fender.
Also remove the inner plastic subfender(rear), to achieve a real see-thru look.

Matt

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:21 am
so U made this yourself? very cool, very clean.. U need to market it through the store here.. i like it..a lot

prof_stack

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:08:21 am
Nice, very nice!  Well done (so far so gooood).  Great photo work, too.

LJRead

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:00:59 am

You do have a knack for doing things right, Matt.  Nice work and an inspiration.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:48 pm
so U made this yourself? very cool, very clean.. U need to market it through the store here.. i like it..a lot

Scotty, I bought the "Trials" fender mount from Hitchcock's. It's for the Classic models but fits with minor adapting.

It looks just like this one from CMW (which I was not aware that they had). They're probably the same:

http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/royal-enfield-motorcycle-luggage-carrier-rear-mudguard-trials-p-127.html

Matt
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:24:58 pm by Thumper »

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:29:41 pm
That is a great looking job you did on that conversion.  Thank you sor sharing that with us.
Those saddlebags have been discontinued by CMW, given any thoughts to selling them.  I hope they aren't really in the ditch.
Jim  jaz_240@ yahoo.com
2008 Electra, smiling jim

LJRead

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 08:37:56 pm

I was about to ask fabrication questions about the fender support but you have answered that one - it came off the shelf.  Good to know the support can be modified to fit the Electra  though.

How are you handling the paint work.  I take it it is just primed and painted and not powder coated?  Well that's traditional anyway, and easy to maintain. 

I will someday want to modify one of the bikes I just bought (probably the Thunderbird because I'm not real keen on its swept up looks), so your information is likely to come in handy.  I am thinking of either making it into a sort of off road bike like the Indian Woodsman, or else trying to dig up a sidecar.  I take it that you saw the Indian Woodsman look someone posted, Indian red, and I think AVL engine.  That had a see through look, but maybe it was left with the plastic fender extension.  If you remove that, won't you have to do something anyway about mud splashing in?

I know you spent a lot of time thinking things through and I'm not really good at that, just do things as I go along, so your information is especially helpful.

Larry

exmayor

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:30:02 pm
Matt,

That looks wonderful.  Since it will be awhile before I pick up my bike I have a few questions.

Which solo seat did you install?
Is the trials fender frame the same one that is on the CMW site?
Is there anything under those plastic ovum covers that needs to be re routed?
I noticed you are using what liiok like a K&N cone filter.  Is that the change you made or did you install a new carb and exhaust?

Rick
'06 Electra w/Rocket sidecar (Green)
'02 Ducati Monster 620 (Dark)

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:07:06 am
Nice job Matt !!! Much better looking than the original (as I suppose it reseembles a Classic more now; LOL).
Just need to clean up the header pipe now as rather blue eh? Result of the air filter change or what?

LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:28:34 am
Love the look. How much trouble was it to adapt the brackets?

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 02:15:31 am

I was about to ask fabrication questions about the fender support but you have answered that one - it came off the shelf.  Good to know the support can be modified to fit the Electra  though.

How are you handling the paint work.  I take it it is just primed and painted and not powder coated?  Well that's traditional anyway, and easy to maintain. 

I will someday want to modify one of the bikes I just bought (probably the Thunderbird because I'm not real keen on its swept up looks), so your information is likely to come in handy.  I am thinking of either making it into a sort of off road bike like the Indian Woodsman, or else trying to dig up a sidecar.  I take it that you saw the Indian Woodsman look someone posted, Indian red, and I think AVL engine.  That had a see through look, but maybe it was left with the plastic fender extension.  If you remove that, won't you have to do something anyway about mud splashing in?

I know you spent a lot of time thinking things through and I'm not really good at that, just do things as I go along, so your information is especially helpful.

Larry

Larry,

The rear fender is stock, it's just the bracket that I changed. The bracket came painted gloss black.
The rear fender would prevent most water from splashing up. The small plastic sub-fender would catch some water splash; but I'm pretty much a fair weather rider anyway. I'd make sure that all the electrics were protected so that if I got caught in the rain it would just be inconvenient.

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:06 am
Matt,

That looks wonderful.  Since it will be awhile before I pick up my bike I have a few questions.

Which solo seat did you install?
Is the trials fender frame the same one that is on the CMW site?
Is there anything under those plastic ovum covers that needs to be re routed?
I noticed you are using what liiok like a K&N cone filter.  Is that the change you made or did you install a new carb and exhaust?

Rick

Rick,

The seat is the one here at CMW:
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/oldfashioned-royal-enfield-solo-seat-p-463.html

The rear fender is stock.

Nothing needed to be re-routed under the oval covers, but I did move the RE toolkit in with my real toolkit behind the right sidecover.

The K&N look-a-like is part of the Hitchcock's Electra X performance kit. It consisted of exhaust header, muffler, carb and choke (see my signature link for more info).

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 02:22:58 am
Love the look. How much trouble was it to adapt the brackets?

Not much trouble. Needed some rubber spacers at the rear. Needed to drill a few holes in the fender (and plug some of the originals). The brake light had a license plate mounting bracket cast as part of unit. I had to cut that off since it would not fit under the trials fender-bracket.

Matt

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:24:12 am
Nice job Matt !!! Much better looking than the original (as I suppose it reseembles a Classic more now; LOL).
Just need to clean up the header pipe now as rather blue eh? Result of the air filter change or what?

LSM

It's blue because it's so freakin' fast!

I leave that way so everyone knows not to mess with me  ;D

Matt