Author Topic: Break in period on the Electra  (Read 5639 times)

blastp3

• Neophyte
on: July 17, 2007, 11:32:10 pm
I'm not yet an owner and trying to decide between a used or new Electra. What can you tell me about the engine break in period? Rod

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:59 am
I have an Electra and currently have nearly 4000 miles on it. Break in is something difficult to pin down. Mine was very tight for the first 1000 miles, but I can't say that is the break in period because the personality of the bike has kept changing. You can ride between 50 and 60 mph almost immediately, but it keeps getting happier as time goes by. My bike runs better today than it did last week. It feels like it just keeps improving.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 12:58:33 pm
I'm not yet an owner and trying to decide between a used or new Electra. What can you tell me about the engine break in period? Rod

Rod,

The owners manual has you run it below 40 for 300 miles and below 50 for the next 300 miles. Vary the throttle and engine speed while driving during the break in period. Pretty straight-forward.

Have an initial maintenance performed at 500 miles.

Head should be retorqued at the 500 and 1000 mile marks.

The Electra X break-in is not the same as the Classic models because it is a different engine.

By 700 miles mine felt fully broken in. I left mine stock during the break in. However, shortly after 700  miles I could no longer stand it and put on a performance kit - which really unleashed it.

HTH,
Matt

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:49 pm
The book says to stay below 40 for the first 500 km (about 300 miles). I was told that the book was written for the older engine, and that the newer Electra X motors could be broken in at 55 mph, which meant less cars passing me in the curves and against the double-yellow lines. I did try to vary the speed and give it chances often to cool off.

After the first 300 miles, I rode between 55 and 60 mph. I have just over 700 miles now (1100 km) and it is officially broken in. I found a long straight stretch of country road, and tried out 75 mph for a bit, but I won't be doing it often.

I can now get on the interstates and not be a hazard.
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!