Author Topic: Bringing Indian RE to US?  (Read 7237 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 07:18:21 am
Sudden thought.  If I purchased a 25-year-old frame here in India, think I could put my 2010 350 Electra parts on it to suddenly make the bike an antique for import purposes?  The frame age is what determines the bike's age as I read the rules. 

Would be easy to get verification from Chennai of the year of manufacture based on the frame #.  A complete old bike is under $1k here, so a frame can't be much, and labor's almost nothing, so swapping out wouldn't be a problem either.

I just found out I'll be here in India for 3 years total, so I have plenty of time to figure all this out, but it also means I've got enough time to bond with the bike that I'd likely want to keep it when I depart.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 02:50:24 pm
is it really worth all  the hassle...lets say u get uncle sam to ship it back in your household effects and it clears indiian customs and then u have to get it to clear us cusoms and then u have to get it registered in the state u going to try to register it....alot has to fall in place and its not like u can't save a bundle whle over there for three years and buy a new one when u get back with cash....that being stated, I guess u could try it and worst case scenario u have a beautiful piece of art...if i was u i try to find out all the details before puting alot of money into a 350cc bullet, especially one that could end up getting caught up at the port in baltimore in customs
where u have  two choices... its goes back to india or u sign a form permiting them to basically crush it...if u just shotgun this process, u have to be prepared to see it's not in your household effects when they open the container......get your stories straight and by peoiple who know whar they are talking about and have regulations to show u vice justing blowing smoke u know where..
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 04:13:16 pm
All very true, and if I had a 350 in the US I'd certainly want to try to get it bored out to a 500/535 if possible...110kph running flat-out just isn't the kind of performance it's probably worth the trouble for.  But no one in the States seems to know much about the 350 UCE, as it's never been available Stateside, so I might have kind of an orphan bike, too.

It's just that I'm getting the bike set up exactly the way I like it now, and I would be sad to leave it behind.  Then again, maybe I can bring the specific parts I like back with me (bars, mirrors, fenders, exhaust, whatever) and build something similar on a US enfield, too.

It'd just be cool to have one from India with my story behind it, though.  Guess that's why I remain dedicated to the idea, however impractical.  And I was figuring customs on an over-25-year old frame is pretty much the easiest way you could deal with importing any motor vehicle, as it's exempt from federal requirements.

I also dunno if I'm headed to the US at the end of 3 years.  Might be able to get another African or Asian assignment that suits us...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28:44 pm
exactly and if u could predict your next assignment, then of course u could dress up that 350, the way u want it and ride it for the next 6-8 yrs...but as fate would have it, u dump alot of money into it and u assign back to washington or stateside and ouch...someone in the host country gets a great deal as the door hitting ya in the ass.....don't assume anything and expect the opposite...alot can change in 2 years..spend your money on a exotic vactaion or tour around india...alot to see n do there besides the daily jaunt to work on the enfield which in itself is a experience of a lifetime...
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:08 pm
Yeah, new baby has put a big damper on the whole "let's explore India!" we were planning for every weekend...

We're still getting out, and with the extension will have even more chances to travel around, of course, but it's just not the same as when we didn't have the kiddo.  So we're enjoying the nice house and domestic help as much as possible, too.

The bike is the only thing letting me live out some daily adventure at this point, aside from some of the work stuff...  Some friends are getting bikes now, too, and we're hitting up the countryside on weekends for some local color.  The bike's a real help in getting to know people and places in a way many expats don't...

MD

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:37:02 pm

I was figuring customs on an over-25-year old frame is pretty much the easiest way you could deal with importing any motor vehicle, as it's exempt from federal requirements.

I wouldn't put anything past those people! They've had a $45 spotlight bracket of mine for an antique car for 6 months  now. They'll snatch up anything and hold it because they can!
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 04:33:55 pm
Best of luck whichever you end up choosing... just the pain of registering a brand new bike from a dealership that was bought out of state was enough of a pain for me.  Also, my '09 Electra 500 was bought brand new in february 2011 for just under $4000.  I hear what you're saying about the sentimentality of it, but I'd just buy a new bike.  If you want to bring your components in and mod a new bike, maybe disguise them as a 'found object art sculpture'?  Tape, cardboard, rope, and some paint for good measure.  Artistic license all the way, baby!