Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3383 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:05 pm
u could always just wear put on a sari and its not like we gonna say anything bad about you..That way u can leave it in place and go with the flow...Just make sure its not to long as I hate to c u get in a jam...
Oh Magoo you done it again

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 10:56:20 pm
Welcome Agent X. Keep us posted (with pictures if you can) of the crazy riding adventures you're having there. Please remember: alwayd ride as though you are invisible. That concept has saved my bacon many times in the past.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 04:00:08 pm
Congratulations AgentX, and welcome to the forum.  ;D  Please do get a proper helmet as soon as you can. Helmets have saved my skull more times than I care to remember. (The times which I can't remember are likely from those rare times when I wasn't wearing a helmet.)  ::) 
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 01:31:33 am
Definitely will be.  If I wasn't going to the States so soon, I'd just have ordered one, but at this point, it'd be arriving by the time I was Stateside anyhow, so it's a wash.  Might as well try some on while I can.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 11:57:57 am
Wow, three months of living out my lifelong dream of being a motorcycle owner/rider...feels great!

Riding every day, slipping through the most heinous of local traffic.  Had expected to be mostly a weekend-morning rider, but since it turns out it's [no longer] seriously scary to ride here, it's actually practical as well as fun.

Finally got my personal gear sorted, though I still dream of the totally-impractical-for-India serious heavy leather riding jacket I always wanted.  I have a complex about the cheap, limp perf-leather Ebay special I got, but it looks OK and is ten times the riding protection nearly anyone else in this country is wearing.

Stripped a bunch of extraneous crap off the bike and have been gradually tinkering for ergonomics with a small nod to looks. 

Am leaving the engine mostly alone as it's a 2010 and I still want the dealer to work on it if anything goes wrong.  K&N is on its way for the stock air system, though, and will be getting a reverse-megaphone silencer locally.  If we have to re-jet I'll have the dealer to do it.  AM26s and maybe some suspension tinkering in the future, too.  I really don't need any higher top speed, but a bit more pickup and better handling would be superb.

Had a couple of close calls which taught me a lot while costing me little, too.  So I'm a lucky guy, I love my Enfield, and I love calling myself a rider after 15 years of dithering about it.

Iron Man

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:41 pm
Hi AgentX

one of the members recently posted this link to one of his rides over there. does this about sum up what you're talking about?  looks like it can be a prettty harrowing place on two wheels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYqEvZHl92c

Where in the states are you returning to?

watch your back!  with a tag line like agentx you could be a marked man!!   ;)

if ya every "disappear" from the forum - we'll understand... :-X

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 01:56:32 pm
That's a pretty great vid--inside the city here,it's actually relatively good for India, I think.  Road conditions vary greatly, though, so you have to be really aware of surface problems and debris, even on routes you ride regularly.  Morning rides to work aren't very densely packed on the road, but you still have a bit of a kinetic intelligence test to work out in portions.

Evenings can look like the jam you see in the vid at 3:20, but that's just taught me to ride offroad and to make smart moves to slip through where you can.  A LOT of two-wheel traffic on the road...I'd guess at least half of the traffic is two or three wheels...so you get to see examples both smart and stupid of how to try it.  I'm comfortable now, doubly so with a riding partner.  Another guy at work just got a bike so we can head home, keep each other safe in traffic by occupying space defensively, and disassemble like a Japanese cartoon robot to pick our way through the snarls.

We haven't done much highway riding...mostly backroads in the local countryside, which suits me fine.  Having made a 15-hour car trip last week including night riding, the highways were just death waiting to happen on so many levels after dark, from other drivers to pedestrians and cattle to the road itself.  I've just come from central Africa, and I've been a downhill mountain biker for years, so I'm not squeamish in general, but man, it's sure not my idea of recreation to ride on those roads at night.

We do have to ride down the highway a bit to get to the "death zone" skull and crossbones sign for a snapshot, though.

PS  No idea when/where in the States I'll be back to at the moment.  Looks like 3 years in India, then who knows?  Africa might be calling me back, but maybe South America has something to offer, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:59:15 pm by AgentX »

Gunga Din

• Northern Bullet
  • Scooter
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 03:00:48 pm
Good luck AgentX....This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds.  8)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 03:27:45 pm
There's nothing "secret" agent-y about me...I'm more towards the "special" variety...

Random thought of the week:  Why aren't dirt bike/dual-sport style motorcycles thick as flies around here?  Cheap, single-cylinder, super-simple and light, durable if dropped/scraped/bumped, able to handle the rough roads and jaunts on sidewalks/medians/dirt shoulders that are so common around here.  Easy in traffic being tall.  Macho aesthetic as well.  I recall some little Yamahas, 100s or 125s, from Africa that seemed reasonably popular among the influx of Indian Bajaj street-styled motorcycles.

One colleague thinks it's because it'd be more difficult to fit a sari guard on it, or to ride sidesaddle, maybe?  Certainly doesn't seem like it'd be hard to seat your family of 4 on it, or at least any more difficult than a street bike seat.  Seat height might be a problem too, I guess.

If I was actually riding across India myself, a Bullet might be the traditional, masochistic method, and worth it for the experience, but an XR400, XR650, or even a Beamer 650 or 800GS or KTM Adventure 990 would be the slicker, easier, more relaxed way to do it, I'd imagine.  Hell, even an XR250 is packing around twice the displacement of most bikes on the road and can take the conditions a million times better than anything local.

Gunga Din

• Northern Bullet
  • Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 03:41:51 pm
The truth is out there.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 03:46:29 pm
It's the Grays and their monopoly on black oil behind it all, obviously...