Author Topic: UCE Performance Perspecitve  (Read 10635 times)

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:29:01 am
:D

Also, factor in spares prices if you're in it for the long haul. Betcha anything the Honda's will be twice the price. I too will be reading reports of the CBR with interest though.

That's why the Honda logo incorporates wings on the "H" ..... it's for the money flying out of your wallet when you buy spares! Hence, no Honda stuff in the garage ... ::)
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:07:59 pm
That's why the Honda logo incorporates wings on the "H" ..... it's for the money flying out of your wallet when you buy spares! Hence, no Honda stuff in the garage ... ::)
D'OH !!! ......Don't you know rice is part of a well balanced diet?...... It's binding ::)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 10:37:17 pm
At $4,500 msrp with ABS, it's $2k less than the C5.  That money will go a long way for parts.  Honda's rep for QC is pretty good.  Riding reports show a top speed of 88 with a controlled, stable ride at 70MPH.  Being 50# lighter than the Bullet, it likely is very cool in the twisties.  Hey, I'm not saying that the grass is greener, but the CBR-250R looks pretty good right now.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

blueberry

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 12:17:56 am
Chain a Honda 250 with a RE and see who pulls who backwards all over hells half acre.
Ride Safe, Blueberry
2008 Electra
1985 Honda 250 Rebel
1970 Honda SL90

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:12 am
sounds like a war starting..i would think the enfield would win in thqt setup....i gonna look at the honda website..gotta see what u talking about..
Oh Magoo you done it again

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 01:40:13 am
First my thanks to  Singhg5 and the other person who replied in answer to my questions.  Then, to the peculiar twist this thread has taken,
"i came not to bury Cesar but to praise him" quoth Cicero before he set about his gradually building  character assinaition of the dead emperor to seize the power of the senate in the wake of the power vacuum left by the death of the great man. 

Not sure how we got to high revving oversquare 250 cc displacement budget Hondas.  Great machines, no doubt, and another interesting footnote to the potential evolution of the single cyclinder motorcycle engine, BUT definitely not in the same genre as the Bullet (or even the long winded KLR for that matter).  I comes down to torque.   The essential and defining characteristic of the UCE is low revving tall torque, which would make riding it much like riding a Sportster with lots of low end unhrurried pull and acceleration at most speeds without the need to downshift plus holding power on hills UP TO a maximum RPM, then curtains--hence the absolute limit on top speed.   Whereas the Honda would be a much higher revving engine with most of its pull in the upper rev range (torque less than 1/2 of the RE) and overall behaviour, I would think more like the early high revving 2 stoke Kawasaki and suzuki bikes. ("Ring,dingding ding ding ding") as you shift through the (necessary ) 6 gears.  Not saying the technicals of the engine aren't amazing on the new Honda aren't amazing----they are:  And the price can't be beat for sure, but to my taste, the esthetic is of no appeal , and since , in terms of practicality, lets face it , for many of us a motorcycle is a style statement or extension of our personality, I would ante up the extra bucks for the bike that suits my image, and would not likely pay for the lower priced honda, just becasue a bike is a bit of a luxury anyway. No question that the introduction of this machine will attract a certain segment of the market,, but I wouldn't be interested in even a hundred horspower sport bike at that price with a keel like a can-opener.  Chaque a son gout:  Call me nostalgic, but it doesn't look like a motorcycle.  The Bullet does.  If there is a bike that WOULD compete , to me it would be the Kawasaki W 800: Bigger bucks.  A better Bonneville  than Triumph's Bonneville . Looks like a motorcycle.
 When I see Honda CB 250Rs loaded like camels ascending the Himalayas 2 up  and fjording rocky streams, I will revise my opnion.  Meantime, I still like the UCE.  Nigel (By the Way I have owned two Hondas , both 250s actually, and great bikes one  twin in the 70's and an XL Enduro  single in the 80s: Rode them hard. Loved them both. )  Now love the Bullet.  Go figure.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:07 am
Nice comments.  I agree.  My C5 is pretty special and I await better weather to really get it out and going.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:19 pm
" When I see Honda CB 250Rs loaded like camels ascending the Himalayas 2 up  and fjording rocky streams, I will revise my opnion."

Brilliant, Nigel - just brilliant!  ;)

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:46:45 pm
Sorry guy's,didn't mean to highjack the thread,just tried to get some "perspective" from my own angle. I.E. how to replace the ageing Kawasaki without blowing the budget.Of course i would prefer the UCE,but......all of your stated reservations notwithstanding, the Honda sure looks good.As far as some comments about torque, i think this engine will have both a flat and a fat torque curve,just my thoughts, have to await a ride.
Cheers. Robert & REnfield.
P.S. Remember i still have REnfield.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 04:50:31 pm
I could see alot of fun in riding that bike...They will see alot of them overseas for sure....Back country roads would be great...Little unfair to compare it to the  new Enfields...Price is fantastic for a new bike....Honda..u got to be kidding, they last forever too...Look how many rebels, CB'S, etc u c  for sale and still running strong...No I wouldn't think I want it for the Himalayas either...

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:03 pm
Roverman:  Actually I think it is me who owes an apology:  I did not mean to limit the natural flow of opinion in any way, and a forum is by it's nature a place for expression of all opinion .  Besides, being winter, everybody is probably a bit bored and could probably do with a lively exchange.  And new ideas are always good.

I think what I am trying to communicate can best be stated by saying that when I look at the profile of a Bullet (say G 5)  , I quite literally have a visceral reaction of being drawn to it in a way that completely defies logic.  When I hear the music of the measured pace of the thumping engine loping along at highway speed, I feel the same thing.     The numbers, specs , technical imporvements etc, are all just icing on the cake .  So to be honest, no other bike probably could ever compare, since I am already  "in love" with this one. 
By the way for something a little different check out  <endurohimalaya.com >  (don't know why that isn't coming up as a live link when I type it ) :  The images convey some of the Bullet magic I feel.  It isn't rational.  I don't even pretend it is.  Nigel.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:35 pm
No apology needed Nigel.I agree with your assessment of the UCE 100%,you are right on the money.I love my iron barrel for all the same reasons,the frame is just "right", in a way my addled mind cannot articulate.These bikes are all a bike needs to be,nothing more,nothing less.
Cheers, Robert.

YJake

• Scooter
  • Exploring the Sunshine State
Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:03 pm

It isn't rational.  I don't even pretend it is.  Nigel.

I feel the same way.

3 years later and despite countless additions to the motorcycle market in repect to bikes and specs, the Bullet is still #1 in my eyes and will be my choice in the comming weeks.

The technical improvements of the UCE are indeed just icing on the cake, I would have been equally happy with both Iron Barrel and AVL engines. (I fancy myself a mechanic and love to tinker).

-Jake
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost..."

2010 Royal Enfield G5

1973 Honda CL125

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 09:22:59 pm
True love is NEVER rational ....Hahaha! One of the Enfield engineers told me that that the RE was like my mistress ..... she was often annoying, occasionally inconvenient, but because I lover her so - she can do no wrong. Yeah - I could ride the Honda - or the little TE250 Suzuki - but that would be infatuation - and over quickly. The RE affair will last (HAS lasted!) a lot longer than that. I probably wouldn't get upset and wring my hands and find a drying towel if the Honda were caught in the rain ......  ;)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:48 pm
scooterbob: take it easy big boy..its a machine not a woman..next u be rubbing her down in a oil bath and telling her u want to start over again.