Author Topic: UCE Performance Perspecitve  (Read 10656 times)

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:06 pm
I have read elsewhere that the only reasonable comparison for the Bullet is the Bullet itself in it's various iterations over time.  There is probably a fair amount of truth in that , since the only current machines that are even remotely similar are the Suzuki Boulevard S 40 (formerly "Savage" and the Kawasaki KLR 650:  The only similarity is the single cylinder mid size engine (they are both 650s) but beyond that there is no real comparison as each is purpose built in a very different direction from the other and neither for the same niche as the Bullet.  Both are more modern engines (OHC/multivalve, one water cooled ) yet despite that , the performance of the UCE actually compares fairly favourably for power and torque, and excels  by a large margin in fuel effiiciency.  (KLR power 44 hp touque 46 NM but weight 432 lbs , S 40 power 30 hp )  So not too shabby.
A better comparison, however , might be with the highly esteemed period bikes that were made with similar technology .  For instance, though the BSA Goldstar is reputed for 100 mph /40 hp performance, this was the "race" version of the B33:  The street version of 1955 BSA B33 ( a similar state of tune to the current Bullet)  only put out 23 hp at 5500 rpm ., or 83% of the power output of the current UCE at 5200 rmp  (The race tuned BSA output from it's 500 cc single was 40 hp but this at 7000 rmp )    Even the 1957 Triumph 500 .Speed Twin (two cylinder) only put out 27 hp at 6300 rpm   the 1952 Triumph TRW  500 single ( geared to military application , not unlike the Bullet) put out 18 hp.  at 5000 rmp, and  the 1954 TR5 "Trophy" Twin (for competition)  had a power rating of 25 hp at 6000 rpm.   ,A 1953 BMW 600 cc flat twin had a power of 26 hp at 5500 rmp.
Viewed in the light of "esteemed" period comparables of the same or higher displacementr , then, the current UCE fares pretty well by comparison, and , of course , has much better fuel mileage than any of them.  This is actually pretty amazing considering the limitations of the technology and engine size.  Again, i wonder (not that it is necessary) what the performance capacity of a " tweaked and fettled" UCE really is?   Enough for now, I guess that it is a reliable good all round performer even if it is in a league of it's own in the market at the present: The potential is there for those who want the challenge, and I have no doubt we will soon be seeing some pretty intereting performance specs from after market mods and fiddling.  For the rest of us, ample performance reliability and period cachee together in one package are great draws.  Nigel Ogston. (earlier threads "Fury" and "UCE as Distance Tourer")

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:53:08 pm
Cheers for that perspective Br. Nigel. You have given me much food for thought.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:05 pm
Nigel ...... BRAVO!!! That's an absolutely outstanding observation! I'm going to work to get this little treatise in the hands of the nay-sayers! Hahaha! (With permission, of course .... )
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:56 pm
Excellent description  !!   It's all about the uniqueness of the bike. Perfect! And if this style of bike does become common place?  The others will never be and Enfield.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 02:54:55 am
To Scooter Bob ,full  permission.  I do have two questions.   How did the rest of you delink your email address from your postings, and what the heck does "IIMHO" , a phrase I see often on this site , mean?  Thanks Nigel.   

csbdr

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 04:00:09 am
In My Humble Opinion = IMHO

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 05:19:32 pm
How did the rest of you delink your email address from your postings,  Thanks Nigel.  

@Nigel:

First of all, your UCE Performance perspective was a great read !  It really puts RE UCE in good comparison to other bikes that were produced over the years and it stands tall for what it is.

TO DELINK EMAIL ADDRESS:

Sign in (Log in) as you normally do.
In left column of page (that has Search, Menu etc.) last option- click on USER.
You will see on the left column a new set - Click on MODIFY PROFILE.
Underneath there is in small letters - Click on Account Related Settings.
That will take you to your User Name and the Name Displayed to public.

In your case, your 'User Name', 'Name' (name displayed to public) and 'Email' are the same.

Change your 'Name' (name displayed to public) to something that you want public to see.

In the same section one or two lines below, there is an option that allows you to display your Email to public or not.

singhg5
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:43:15 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:43:23 pm
I too enjoyed Nigel's perspective piece.But,despite highlighting the Enfield's only competition i think the game may soon be changing. I am considering replacing my Kaw 440 grocery getter with something more modern.Since i have REnfield the Enfield Iron barrel 4-speed then logical next step would be a UCE.The problem is that i can't get past the price.Despite all of the virtues of the UCE i just can't justify the 6-7k for a second bike.The game changer i alluded to earlier is the new Honda (don't throw things at me!) CBR 250R,check it out for yourselves.It looks like a great commuter bike,fast enough,flexible,great mpg,etc. Plus it lists at 4k and it's still a thumper and it's not related to a dirt bike. Just food for thought.
Robert & REnfield in Michigan. 8) 8) 8) 8) :)

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:20 pm
i looked it up and it has 4 cylinders and 4 valves per cylinder and is fully faired. could this be what you'r  looking at?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:00 pm
Roverman means the NEW made-in-Thailand CBR-250R, not the racier 250RR.

Yes, I too have my eye on the 'lil thumper.  It will be a cool-sounding higher-revving machine.  It will probably get the same MPG as the UCE and it's 50# lighter.

I would also check out the Suzuki TU-250x, with a new color for 2011.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:34:13 pm by prof_stack »
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 07:23:57 am
ROVERMAN,

A UCE bike might seem a bit on the spendy side at first untill you divide the price by the number of days you expect to live.

Makes it pretty cost effective  ;)

No matter where you go, there, you are.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:42 pm
ROVERMAN,

A UCE bike might seem a bit on the spendy side at first untill you divide the price by the number of days you expect to live.

Makes it pretty cost effective  ;)

:D

Also, factor in spares prices if you're in it for the long haul. Betcha anything the Honda's will be twice the price. I too will be reading reports of the CBR with interest though.

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:06:52 pm
I think a really good comparison is the Buell Blast. It does make more rated horsepower at 34 but that figure occurs at 7500 rpm. It also makes 30ftlb torque at 3200 rpm and is rated at 58MPG. It weights 360lbs

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph
www.douglasmotorcycles.com

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 08:18:46 pm
I think a really good comparison is the Buell Blast. It does make more rated horsepower at 34 but that figure occurs at 7500 rpm. It also makes 30ftlb torque at 3200 rpm and is rated at 58MPG. It weighs 360lbs.
Art

I owned the first Buell Blast in Seattle back in June of 2000.  It was a fun and funky bike.  The tractor-worthy tranny clunked into gears and the footpegs touched down earlier than they should have.  But it was road worthy and could go 70mph all day.  I should have kept it rather than trading up to the XB9S.

Buell as a company is no more.  Parts for the things are hard to get.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:58 am
The game changer i alluded to earlier is the new Honda (don't throw things at me!) CBR 250R,check it out for yourselves.It looks like a great commuter bike,fast enough,flexible,great mpg,etc. Plus it lists at 4k and it's still a thumper and it's not related to a dirt bike. Just food for thought.
Robert & REnfield in Michigan. 8) 8) 8) 8) :)

Holy cow, I hadn't seen that before. That looks like a real contender, and the price is definitely right!

Maybe I'll sell my KLR, and get the 250r and a C5, and use the Enfield as my 'adventure' bike :D

Btw, love the avatar  ;D
2000 KLR650 - Clack Clack the Sorry Green Bastard
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe