Author Topic: fitting new upswept exhaust  (Read 6183 times)

donatelos

• Scooter
on: January 14, 2011, 01:06:51 pm
went to fit new upswept exhaust the other day  and after a bit of swearing trying to undo seized bolts on heatshield finnaly freed them then onto removing exhaust which was a fiddle but not too bad, once all removed I thought  Ah joy and happiness just bung the new one on now and off I go like Barry Sheene,,,,not so because try as I might the bleeding thing would not clamp tight enough by a mile to seal any leaks Hmm I says to myself options here,exhaust paste?hate it an can never remove exhaust at later date,bandage?yea but a pain to get right ,eureka!!! phone the suppliers, yes,,, ,was then told that there is a couple of mm difference in downpipes depending on which bike i had   and frame numbers no help as our Indian friends didnt keep record of what was on which bike so apparantley a transitional piece is required ,dunno if this is right or not but the guy said the part would be in post forthcomming so will soon know one way or other,anyone had this problem?Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:44 pm
I needed a little fitment when I installed an aftermarket muffler on my Classic...

Cut a strip of aluminium 2 inches wide from a pepsi can and made cuts half way across it every 1/4 inch or so along one side.  Wrapped it around the header with the uncut side outside and the cuts inside.  Bent on nicely and no leaks at all...

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

harrumph

• Scooter
  • Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:41:09 pm
I was going to suggest a can as well, but some people prefer a more "legitimate" fix. But it's cheap and it'll get the job done until you can get your fitting in the post.
By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe.

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:38:08 pm
But it's cheap and it'll get the job done until you can get your fitting in the post.

Since mine doesn't leak, I sure won't take it apart again 'till it does... ;)

Mike and S&S in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:13 pm
Good question which one but cant really say as bought it from Haywards,my bikes a C5 by the way,and they say unless they actually measure the OD  theres no telling which size is fitted to mine  in all fairness they have been very polite and helpful over the phone with no quibbles about changing the parts so not complaining with service,am not in a real rush to use it so can wait till the correct fittment arrives am still happy riding with original pipe for awhile yet  just have to hold the hooligan urge back a bit lol,,,at 27hp  like yea right :D .Don
life is not a rehersal  theres no second chance  so don't hurt anyone  and follow your dreams

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:07:47 pm
my bikes a C5 by the way,and they say unless they actually measure the OD  theres no telling which size is fitted to mine

Makes me wonder about how likely getting the right part will be in a few years if ordering by number from the parts catalog.

Scott

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:54 pm
Methink's getting the right part unless your in a position to take bike in is going to be a bit of a lotto but that's maybe the fun of owning such a a bike  a bit more involvement and problem solving satisfaction (or not) but the world of sanitised clinically eficient and supremely boring ,unless doing warp speeds, Jap stuff just doesn't do it for me any longer,had my first half decent run today albeit in rotten weather(if I waited for decent weather in Wales I'd be even more senile than  now) about 160 ml over mountains,we got lot's of them,and valley's,loads of them too, dodging mad sheep,even more of them, all non stop running between 55-60mph with a lowest about 35mph done in about 3hrs or so which is more these day's I want to go without a rest but still it gave me an idea what to expect when I take it  over Belgium,Germany and Czec republic dont see any prob's arising so why not ? it's what they make them for after all.Take care all. Don

Sub

• Bob's Your Uncle
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2010 Black Bullet C5
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:32 pm
None of the pipes I bought, from oem catalog to aftermarket fit correctly. The emgo I got came with reducer rings, and then I used some exhaust sealant from a auto parts store. Quality control on these bikes is... bad. :) But, hey, its part of the charm.

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:13 pm
Found out from supplier that a small number of exhausts had indeed been made  3mm too big to fit the C5 and they thought they had managed to bin them before dispatch but it seems a small amount went out of course I had  to get one lol but they changed it, although in the mean time I decided to have the short straight pipe ,without any quibble so am now blatting  up and down with a nice smile on my face and  still wondering why I'm also running a 1000cc susie great bike as it is but the enfield does it all with more charm, a pal of mine commented that nice as it is to get from A to B in a hurry it wouldnt cut it however on a little run recentley no motorways, doing our own thing he arrived 7 mins before me  due to traffic factor ,speed cameras etc  he kinda looked at me strangeley after that not really believing it,the look was priceless :D. Don

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:42:04 pm
Nice!

Hey, aside from being ridiculously loud how does it run with open pipes?  Any bogging or throttle response problems?  Are you running the stock air cleaner?

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:11:11 pm
My G5 with the Goldie, which is an open pipe with some baffle round the outside, is certainly perkier than with the stock exhaust - better mid & top end pull, and will cruise more comfortably about 5mph faster than previously. Stock air filter. It is a little anti-social in built-up areas however.......
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:29:00 pm
Mine seems loud to me with just the new pod air filter.  I don't think I'd go for a Goldie or anything quite that loud but I might take the stock muffler off for a short run just to see what happens with a high flow air filter and no back pressure at all.

Scott

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:20 pm
I find earplugs calm things down nicely..... ;)

donatelos

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 08:23:38 am
everything stock except silencer(exhaust) silencer as we call them here may not be too apt in this case but not too anti social just nice and rorty, find  engine seems to breath much better and is more willing to scoot allong ,revs a bit quicker and as mentioned it does seem to hold a slightly higher cruising speed easier,dunno about effect on mpg but don't think any change would be too hard to live with given the advantages and the allready excellent fuel economy so for a outlay of under a hundred pounds I think it's very good value , do  have a little pop now and again not very often on over run   but  boy do I enjoy that sound, fitting is dead simple  just a clip at joint and two hanger brackets, all fitting  without any mod's needed  as a matter of fact just finnished a 12hr night shift so think I may go for a spin and listen to it all again  ;D. Don

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 09:49:17 am
I find no difference in mpg - I average 82 miles to the (UK) gallon. Just as well at around six quid a gallon  -  that's $9.50 equivalent, and diesel even more, so brace yourselves brothers in the USA -  you've got a way to go before we stop envying your cheap petrol prices......
A bit of backfiring, occasionally and seemingly at random. Some trips not at all.