Author Topic: transmission swap  (Read 8800 times)

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 12:44:29 am
It's more than just the primary cover.

According to the Snidal manual it has "..cast-in "tunnels" in crankcase and primary case castings."

If it was simply a case of a hole in the primary cover I could swap the 4 speed cover for the 5 speed one. That's what I thought I would be able to do when I bought the transmission.

It's not apparent from the drawings of the crankcase. But then if Pete's manual says so, it is almost guaranteed to be correct.
By the way, I never meant to say that its only the primary drive cover. It is at least the inner AND outer primary case cover, which makes any conversion much more expensive and possibly troublesome but still not too unreasonable.
If it's true that the crankcase is also different, then a conversion really does not make any sense.

Peter

Peter

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 01:30:23 am
From what I have heard to do the swap and retain the left shift you'll need a set of motor cases along with the whole primary drive side...

CJ

Yes, the motor cases have tunnels cast in to accommodate the left side shifter shaft. Because it's tunnels, the 5-speed motor cases are compatible with any 4-speed transmission. 5-speed transmissions will work only as right shift with old style 4-speed crankcases.
That seems to be definitive and it's good news for 4-speed luddites, because any motor case will work with their transmission.
Unsurprisingly, Pete Snidal's manual is right once more.

Peter

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:50 pm

(spellchec didn't even pickup on the "bassackwards"... WTF??)

That is because it is concentrating on Enfield.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 03:38:11 pm
Hey Lotus Seven, don't forget that Harley, the designer of those hardly abelsons was a British Immigrant. You should be proud that design is still produced....

2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 10:31:26 pm
Cyrusb.

If you say so!!!!  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin