Author Topic: Politically Correct  (Read 10910 times)

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:14 pm
Thankfully political correctness never really caught on in this part of Arkansas, people still call it like it is.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31:57 pm
I'm not entirely sure what you guys are all fired up about.  How has political correctness affected your lives?  What exactly are these examples of political correctness.  Just trying to put this is perspective.

What is being called like its seen?  I'm not arguing for it at all... I'm truly a bit confused as to the point you guys are trying to make.  Are you talking about everyday people in everyday life?  Or these entertainment-news shows on Fox and NBC.

Any examples of this PC business that I can chew on?  
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 06:34:40 pm
I'm not entirely sure what you guys are all fired up about.  How has political correctness affected your lives?  What exactly are these examples of political correctness.  Just trying to put this is perspective.

What is being called like its seen?  I'm not arguing for it at all... I'm truly a bit confused as to the point you guys are trying to make.  Are you talking about everyday people in everyday life?  Or these entertainment-news shows on Fox and NBC.

Here is a good Hillbilly example - that I have personally witnessed ....

A fellow with a little bit of cold is running around in the office with a big old booger hangin' out of his nose. Everyone is so "PC" and afraid to embarrass this fellow or damage his fragile self esteem that they just let him walk around wit the thing on his upper lip. The Hillbilly, on the other hand, just hands the man a tissue and says, "You got a booger hangin', man - wipe it up.".

There you go - ONE definition of "PC" vs. "Call it like you see it"

When we can't say what's actually happening for fear of offending someone or damaging them in some unknown, esoteric way .... that's PC.
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:23 pm
 Why you gotta call them Booger's ?   There Excessive nasal secretions !  ::)

http://www.pagetutor.com/jokebreak/205.html
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 06:48:52 pm
See? See? That's what I mean .... Hahaha!  :D

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 07:13:47 pm
But ScooteBob-
During the War of Northern Aggression...

West Virginia was a Union State... ::)
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 07:43:48 pm
But ScooteBob-
During the War of Northern Aggression...

West Virginia was a Union State... ::)

Yes, yes it was! But the majority of the State is below the Mason-Dixon line .... and MOST of the fair inhabitants of the State have forgotten their Civil War history, preferring to side with the Good Old Boys ...... The history of the State is absolutely fascinating, since it was born of the Civil War - and not for any of the reasons that people would think!

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:16 pm
SB- I tell people you can't pick where you were born, but you can pick where you live.
I was born in the South...
South of Boston that is.
I choose to live in the South- North Carolina.

I always admired Robert E. Lee. Much more than that drunk, Ulysses Grant. :o
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 08:44:37 pm
OK - I get the speaking your mind part of it.  Makes sense.  I think people are afraid of embarrassing other people so they will choose to not speak up which just makes the booger stay their longer for the lookers, and the embarrassment to increase for the booger-wearer.  Lose-lose.

But using the example of aliens landing and calling them aliens.  The word Jap gets thrown around here a bit.  For you older guys, it's just short-hand.  For some others, it actually holds the weight of heavy memories from war and some pretty negative connotations.   Some just say Jap-bike to describe a Japanese bike.  I've often wondered if the term is derogatory.  It SEEMS like it is, so I wouldn't use it.  The person using it might not be intending it to be derogatory in any way what so ever.  But, I guess in a way, you could say I'm being politically correct by saying, "Japanese" bike and grimacing a little at the harshness of "Jap."  To contradict myself, I wouldn't think twice about saying "Brit-bike."  But then again, the word "Brit" has no negative connotation in American history. 

I feel like I'm dancing in a grey area here, but I'm not sure political correctness is so black and white?  What do you think?
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:16:42 pm
OK - I get the speaking your mind part of it.  Makes sense.  I think people are afraid of embarrassing other people so they will choose to not speak up which just makes the booger stay their longer for the lookers, and the embarrassment to increase for the booger-wearer.  Lose-lose.

But using the example of aliens landing and calling them aliens.  The word Jap gets thrown around here a bit.  For you older guys, it's just short-hand.  For some others, it actually holds the weight of heavy memories from war and some pretty negative connotations.   Some just say Jap-bike to describe a Japanese bike.  I've often wondered if the term is derogatory.  It SEEMS like it is, so I wouldn't use it.  The person using it might not be intending it to be derogatory in any way what so ever.  But, I guess in a way, you could say I'm being politically correct by saying, "Japanese" bike and grimacing a little at the harshness of "Jap."  To contradict myself, I wouldn't think twice about saying "Brit-bike."  But then again, the word "Brit" has no negative connotation in American history. 

I feel like I'm dancing in a grey area here, but I'm not sure political correctness is so black and white?  What do you think?

Check out this article on the subject of PC origins.
 http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/4/4/121115.shtml
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:00 pm
As I understood the basic idea of PC, it was introduced to eliminate subliminal prejustices in common, daily used language. This language originates in a past where people had different values than today. So PC was basically an attempt to lower tensions in society and therefore is an exellent thing to do.
Unfortunately the opposite of "well" is "well-intensioned" - there is no doubt that  this attempt didn´t achieve all of the desired objectives. Partly it replaced old dogmas with new ones and introduces a number of new necessities that complicate communication instead of relieving it.
The biggest sucess of PC is, however, a debate about the power of words and it´s massive impact on society. Orwell´s 1984 is an exellent example how people can be manipulated.
The solution for the problem of manipulating language is, in no case, simply to manipulate the other way ´round. PC is often degenerated to a term of daily political conflict.
I cannot agree though with some statements above, PC had a massive negative impact on our lives. That´s a bit too hysterical for my taste (we don´t wont to be the said whinos howling about the naive do-gooders, don´t we?).
At last, we all use our own words. If someone is offended by PC, he´s actually offended by the fact that other people could misinterpret his words. In my view, the only concern someone should have talking is to be understood. If someone else want´s to misinterpret deliberately, he will do so if you talk in a political correct way or not. So what is all the fuss about?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:08:50 pm by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 10:12:15 pm
Why you gotta call them Booger's ?   There Excessive nasal secretions !  ::)

http://www.pagetutor.com/jokebreak/205.html

NO NO NO it's mineral resources, and you are supposed to mine them.  Anyone remember Bob and Doug Mackenzie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqJHyFxkF7Y
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 10:21:19 pm

I feel like I'm dancing in a grey area here, but I'm not sure political correctness is so black and white?  What do you think?
I think people tend to think about it too much. And if you have to think about a word that much, then the problem may be with the person who is hearing it. Unless there is an obvious inflection or gesture made in the saying of the word or phrase. It's how it's said and who it's coming from, and in what context. If the listener has to search for offence? Then that's just retarded........whoops ::)
 Not you Boggy, but in general.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:30:27 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:35 pm

I think you have hit the essence of "PC" on the head. Most of the terms and phrases that are now "un-PC" usually have historical connotations attached to them. Like saying "Indian" when you are talking about a Native American - not someone from India - or using Native American terms to name a sports team. And of COURSE there is the ubiquitous "N-word" .... derogatory in some circles - merely a descriptive adjective in others - but NEVER to be muttered in public unless you happen to BE of color .... There are several others that quickly come to mind that used to be simple descriptors - but now are forbidden for the more correct and "spun" PC terms ....

And what's all the fuss about? There's three freekin feet of freekin' snow on the ground ..... I gotta fuss about SOMETHING - I can't RIDE! Hahaha!! ::)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 10:55:48 pm

Sure thing mate,

Take for example the public shool systems zero tolerance policies and their ruthless implementation of those policies.

Numerous examples can be found of grade school children being suspended or expelled for doodling a picture of a gun, possessing little green plastic army men with guns or even pointing fingers “in a gun like fashion”.

No matter where you go, there, you are.