Author Topic: Primary chain questions  (Read 7789 times)

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 11, 2011, 11:21:46 pm
Is it really possible I ned a new chain?   How many miles (average of course) do people expect to get from a primary chain?

If the gear teeth look good, can I just replace the chain?

When you measure slack, do you just press down on the chain, or move it up and down?

Can I get the pressure shoe re-lined, or do I have to buy a whole shoe?

I'm going to put a lightly longer adjuster bolt in there to get another 1500 miles from the chain >BUT< no one I talk to can believe my chain is stretched out and usleless after 12,000 miles.  Seems kind of extravigant to have to change chains that often.  Do I have any choices on quality?
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:46:09 pm
 i adjusted mine for the hell of it a year ago...loose just a wee bit....snidal gave the impression that once adjusted and with atf fluid in there u wouldn't have to adjust maybe never.  .i put the bike upright and put in neutral and turn the rear wheel and checked for tight spot and loose spot and adjusted for something in the middle...their is a exact measurement that snidal states but its ridiculously hard to see when pushing up the primary chain from the bottom...lets put it this way..its not as loose as the drive chain.... its pretty much a lookie why spinning the rear wheel...hope that gets u started...
Oh Magoo you done it again

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:50:27 pm
On mine I do the full play is what you can move it up and down for the full play of the chain. If it's 1/4" then 1/8th up and 1/8 down.  ERC.
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 12:37:00 am
You can add me the list of people that dont believe it. Push down and pull up on the chain and measure that distance. How about a pic? What is your deflection (in inches)?I believe that chain should last at least a couple of top ends.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:43:56 am
I'm moving (still) and can't get pictures out of my camera yet.  I know I should wait until I have some, but I wanted to get this done while it's too cold / snowy to ride.

I set the chain for a half inch of play up and down. 
At 11K, my adjuster bolt is all the way out and the rubber on the shoe is worn about half way where the grooves are worn in. 
I worry about the chain getting too slack and wearing something somewhere while rubbing.  I went and got a slightly longer bolt that I'll modify to look like the stock one's head- which is rounded off so it will turn in that "well"- or whatever it's called.

So- the bolt length -or lack of what's left- is basically what got me wondering how much the chain is stretching.  Hopefully I can take a picture tomorrow after I figure out how to convert my conputer to wifi.  I'm using my roommates computer now...
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:38:37 pm
your trying to cheat with the longer bolt at the bottom vice replacing the chain...I only did the adjustment because after taking the cover off and  cleaning out the primary compartment with a clean rag I noticed when looking underneath that it looked like the primary chain might have been slapping the top pf the case.(I said maybe) . I  notice ridges in the case metal that resembled the shape of the actual chain...Of course it might had been my imagination and maybe thats the way the top of the case is made but I had the bike on centerstand and read the Snidal manual and readjusted the chain with the bottom adjuster to what I thought was the idea that Snida was getting at...Its been a year and I'll check it again in the Spring when I change the fluid (cheap enough)..I do remember I didn't have to adjust it all that much..I don't know why u far up on the adjuster bolt..That primary chain is tough and wide and it would take alot to stretch it vice the drive chain...Something is wrong..

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:33:35 pm
  I'd say at some point it was over adjusted.  Can't say on Enfields yet but on H-Ds I've had they lasted quite a while (think I may have replaced two on the three I've had with right at 60000 miles collect mileage).  Of course you may have gotten the Monday after a hangover weekend part on yours.  But I would say it definitely should have lasted longer.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 05:59:13 pm
maybe Uncle Ernie rides hard..I don't know...It would take a long time to stretch that chain....per snidal manual, 1/ 4" - 6 mm of slack from top of chain..rotate the chain and inspect for loosness/tightness along the length of the chain...This can be \done by kick starting..note..do not start the bike..just go though the kickstarting and inspect the chain.....the adjustment is done via the slipper adjuster on the bottom...

Hey further notes that unless the bike had numerous miles on it or has been run without lubrication that the chain is unlikely to need replacement...If their is no slack left in the adjustment then replacement is necessary under "heavy mechanical" section of book.
He doesn't say to fabricate a longer adjustment bolt to raise the chain higher to take out the slack. As u can see 1/4" isn't much slack but not tight as a rubber band either...

I think Uncle ran it without lubrication...He seems to be that kinda guy and like it dry..

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 06:05:36 pm
maybe Uncle Ernie rides hard..I don't know...It would take a long time to stretch that chain....per snidal manual, 1/ 4" - 6 mm of slack from top of chain..rotate the chain and inspect for loosness/tightness along the length of the chain...This can be \done by kick starting..note..do not start the bike..just go though the kickstarting and inspect the chain.....the adjustment is done via the slipper adjuster on the bottom...

Hey further notes that unless the bike had numerous miles on it or has been run without lubrication that the chain is unlikely to need replacement...If their is no slack left in the adjustment then replacement is necessary under "heavy mechanical" section of book.
He doesn't say to fabricate a longer adjustment bolt to raise the chain higher to take out the slack. As u can see 1/4" isn't much slack but not tight as a rubber band either...

I think Uncle ran it without lubrication...He seems to be that kinda guy and like it dry..

OUCH!!!! 
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:54:31 pm
Beans.
Talked to Mr vince today.  Seems like maybe the chain wore out too soon because I keep it too tight.  He said, "You probably adjust it every time you change your oil, huh?"    Dammit man- get out of my garage!

Apparently both the clutch and the waddya-callit both have to come off. 
PITA- but at least I'm not riding anywhere soon.
Run what ya brung

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:21 pm
yup got to replace it...vince is right in telling ya to forget the other idea...might want to check on tools needed to get things outta of the way...at least u will have fresh chain and fluid..

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:55 am
It's a good time to switch to a 19 countershaft sprocket, or somethiing like that.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:48 am
  And a good time to pull out the sprag if it's munched.  I think you said it was weak or out last summer.  Time to gut the remains.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Victory V92SC
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:56:28 am
Is the lean burn primary chain adjuster the same as a classic? You have a lean burn right? I've allways assumed they were the same but I bet thats wrong.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 01:03:15 am
don''t quote me..i would think its the same 5 speed transmission,,,