Author Topic: Libraries  (Read 4097 times)

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 11, 2011, 02:11:02 am
A few weeks ago I went I helped a lady move. She had several heavy boxes of National Geographics. NG's are the type of magazine you hate to throw away, but what are the chances of her ever reading them again?  The next week I saw in Sam's Club a 4 disc set that has EVERY NG on them since FIRST published. It didn't weigh much. ;D

Last year they built a million dollar Library in a section of my small town. I went in, they had a couple of librarians working, and a janitor. Everything was bright and new, The books were old and decrepid. There were a few old people reading magazines, one on the computer.

I couldn't help but think these books could be on CD's, on line, and the library be eliminated or reduced in size with a few computers for people to access. The library system is archaic. Ask a kid today what the Dewey Decimal System is and they'll think it's a rock group.

We don't have the money to keep supporting these archaic systems, and they need to be streamlined or eliminated.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:22:56 am
@BRW:

I just came back from the library with some DVDs, I had gone there to return some books.

Do you remember another piece of technology called Feesh or feish ?  I can't even spell it anymore  ;D.  All the newspapers and many books were transferred to that 'thing', then placed on a plate, and moved to bring the image on screen and then turn the knob to focus it !   Wow, that was considered an advancement and a big space saver.

Inspite of the fact that I can read all the news on my computer, but there is a different kind of enjoyment flipping the pages of The New York Times or any other paper newspaper  ;).  But they are so expensive that I do not buy anymore.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:49 am
@BRW:

I just came back from the library with some DVDs, I had gone there to return some books.

Do you remember another piece of technology called Feesh or feish ?  I can't even spell it anymore  ;D.  All the newspapers and many books were transferred to that 'thing', then placed on a plate, and moved to bring the image on screen and then turn the knob to focus it !   Wow, that was considered an advancement and a big space saver.

Inspite of the fact that I can read all the news on my computer, but there is a different kind of enjoyment flipping the pages of The New York Times or any other paper newspaper  ;).  But they are so expensive that I do not buy anymore.

Micro Fich (fish? feeeeeeesh?)! I hated using that stuff in high school!

The brain chip is only months away.... the ultimate space saver.....skynet will become self aware!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:44:07 am by Lahti35 »
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:59:28 am
I just hope, for the next generation's sake, the light's stay on.They only know about 8:45,they don't no nuthin 'bout quarter till nine.

Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:09:42 am
i would rather read a book in my hands that look at a computer screen..

at least I know if we have a natural outage.. I have something i can contemplate on..  rather than looking at a dark screen..

I would rather read a book, than watch TV or watch a DVD..

whereas others I know are just the opposite

with saying that I don't even own a TV

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 04:32:29 am
i would rather read a book in my hands that look at a computer screen..

at least I know if we have a natural outage.. I have something i can contemplate on..  rather than looking at a dark screen..

I would rather read a book, than watch TV or watch a DVD..

whereas others I know are just the opposite

with saying that I don't even own a TV

And that's wonderful Scotty. But should the taxpayers have a million dollar building and a staff so one or two (there was 2 people in the library when I went in) can read a newspaper or turn the pages on a book? Should the library have hundreds of National Geographics on their shelves, when they can have it on disc, so someone can enjoy turning the pages? Should the post office deliver 7 days a week, because someone enjoys receiving mail? See what I mean? We have to tighten our belts, and taking advantage of modern electrics and saving money will help.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:41:34 am
on a twisted note..  do you think the elected officials are interesred in saving money?  especially if it affects them? of course not..  that being said , I havn't been to a library in over 40 years.. they never had the books that interest me... guess that's why i sell books in my shop..  even though no one buys them.. they are too esoteric ;)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:55:41 am
I check out free movie DVDs.

" If only one child uses the library, it"s worth it" ;)

Your not a child hater are you?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:59:26 am
I am my only child..  we get along real well together ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:13:17 am
 Our local library is very popular with the youth of our town.
It’s a place of part social gathering and part self education.

A sign of hope.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:44 am
A friend showed me her new Kindle electronic reading gizmo the other day. I thought, hmmm, well, ok  - maybe it'll catch on in time. It's easier to read than a pc screen, you can increase print size etc, and she told me that there was a huge number of books available to download.
I thought no more about it until a few days later, when I was reading a 600 page novel with fairly small print, impossible to prop up to read at  breakfast, and a bit of a strain on my ancient eyes. So I got on line to do a bit of research (only half an excuse needed here to get a nice new gadget). I discovered that there are over 775,000 books available for Kindle. Not the book I am currently reading, and none of the books I am interested in reading next.
It's an impressive sounding number, but less than a drop of a drop in the ocean of published books in the world. There are 200,000 new books published each year in the UK for instance.  For this reason alone I think it's going to be a while until electronic reading gizmos are a realistic alternative to actually opening a book. The choice is extremely limited - classic literature (out of copyright, so free) and best sellers have priority it seems. I daresay there will be more and more less mainstream books available as time goes on  -  but I doubt I'll see the end of the paper book in my lifetime.
A pity - I can definitely see the advantages of the Kindle, and I'd like to have one.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:38 am
".....But should the taxpayers have a million dollar building and a staff so one or two (there was 2 people in the library when I went in) can read a newspaper or turn the pages on a book? Should the library have hundreds of National Geographics on their shelves, when they can have it on disc, so someone can enjoy turning the pages? Should the post office deliver 7 days a week, because someone enjoys receiving mail?....."

Well    -     yes.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
a scotsman went into the local library in glasgow (scotland) and asked for a book on suicide,

her reply ^%$k o** , you will not bring it back ;D
arthritis hurts at my age!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:44:02 pm
yes  and because as a tax payer we don't get much of anything anyway...Now that we are going top play the era of austerity. you could come up with numerous scenarios where 25 percent of the jobs out there could just go away and not come back at all....I suggest instead of the libraries being replaced with a CD, wouldn't u think many of the jobs up at capitol hill might be a better place to start...What about the two money pits you know where.....How about the free loaders who have been on welfare for 10 years or more.....Where do u want to go with this...What about your job.....Is it that important,,,Is it really necessary....will our day move forward without it....Hey don't get me wrong I like to c u keep working but to me just another bit of the same nonsense I've been hearing for 50 years..Good Luck in your endeavors in closing the local library..Sorry u got stuck with the check..We feel your pain...
Oh Magoo you done it again

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:04:56 pm
Well where would I put my book marker on a Kindle.

No the Library should definitely stay. Pozer said it best in few words..,