Author Topic: push button decompressor contd.  (Read 4587 times)

Reelmaster

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 05:17:28 am
Hi Tere Guy's to talk about things dropping down into the cylinder, many years ago when I  was an apprentice motor mechanic one of the jobs I had was to fit Valve Stem Oil Seals to the current model Holden due to Oil consumption We simply  made up a unit that screwed into the Spark Plug hole . put the piston on T.D.C. & connected an air hose at 125lb to our jury rigged plug re-placement 

Then we could crack the Valve Spring Retainers, remove the collets slip on the Umbrella type oil seal, refit retainer & collets & job done. the factory advice on warranty jobs requested that the Head be removed. Ha--Ha. We never lost a Valve
& the pressure pushed the Valve up & was easier to work on to re-fitt the collets adjusting so that the valves sat on the pistons was a no option for an easy speedy solution.

Best Regards. Jack.

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:18 pm
I would rather be lucky than good any day! I rest my bike with the piston at TDC. So when I removed the cable and stock decompressor there the decompressor valve wa, resting on top of the piston. With the valve stem sticking up. Just within reach of a pair of hemostats.
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:17 pm
Wow its crazy that this topic popped up as i was gonna ask about some sort of push button decompressor to eliminate the cable etc. Not sure if i missed it but is there one available ready to go that like a Harley chopper type "Rev-tech" or "S+S" motor uses that will just thread right in with no extra stuff to do? Probably wont be cheap but just wondering.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 12:29:58 am
If moving the lever so you can lower your handlebars is what your after, maybe one of these is all you need. Keeping the lever at hand allows you to keep both hands on the bars when starting  (handy in traffic). As for those push button releases, they are not made to see fire and fail quite regularly on pals bikes. They leak at the poppet seal, I have  machined  them apart, they are made of mild steel. I guess if you pulled it closed instead of letting it blow shut it may last longer Just 2 cents..
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 12:37:34 am
Thanks Ice! Looks like several options, just gotta figure out the thread size. I think ill leave the stock set up for now but if the cable breaks or i just get motivated to mod something then ill do it. I guess if it aint broke dont fix it might come in to play here ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 12:43:04 am
14mm "spark plug thread'.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 12:45:36 am
14mm "spark plug thread'.

Ok thanks, will keep in mind for future reference