Author Topic: Installed 30mm; so far so good but a few questions  (Read 1670 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: January 03, 2011, 08:41:49 pm
Installed the JRC 30mm flatslide on the Sixty-5 last night. Screwed the mixture screw in till it seated then out 1&1/2 turns. Did nothing to the jets or needle position. Installed the K&N pancake filter I had on the VM28. This afternoon got home from work, rolled it outside to give it a try and it started and ran on the first kick. Idle was fine. Are these things really that easy? I haven't had a chance to get it on the road yet but I was honestly expecting some glitch. I only installed the gasket that came with the carb. and not the spacer gasket that CMW suggests because I couldn't find one locally. Have you guys found this to be a problem? Is it a summer thing that's heat related? I ride between 2500 and 3500 feet normally. My only engine mods are the CMW 30mm flatslide & K&N filter with a classic exhaust, I'm burning 93 octane non-ethanol fuel. What's the proper procedure for a plug check? Should I drop to a lower octane level for heat concerns? Joe
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:46:32 pm by Rick O'Shea »
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:24 pm
Hi:

I have the same bike and it is outfitted pretty much as you just described. I installed the 30 mm flatsllide and put a double gasket between the carb and the intake manifold. Heat is the thing I was trying to avoid in the flatslide. I used the throttle cable from the mycarb and replaced the throttle grip because mine was damaged from the time I got it in 2004. It works much better now.

I too have been using the new carb with the settings it came with. Not much else has been required on my part. I'm running in a cold climate at about 1200 feet elev. When I first fired it up after installation I had an issue with back firing and black smoke out the tail pipe but I put that down to something getting stuck in the gas line. It resolved itself and I've ridden about 200 miles before it got too cold to ride any more this fall. Bike is now in storage for the winter and I plan to take it out when it gets warm again in late April or Early May. I'm sold on the flat slide. Sounds great too since I put on the 50s style pipe. It's like riding a different bike. Love it.

Neil

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:25:45 am
Went through the supplied jets and ended up with the ones that were in it to begin with. 1000 miles, runs great, and has a fast idle on the enrichener, something the stock micarb would not do. So, like you, I could have just installed it as shipped, but I had to try the supplied jets. This is with the aftermarket  pipe and k+n filter. Great power and manners, lower gas mileage,but way worth it.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:38:29 am
I have been wanting to do this...most worried about the filter sucking water?
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:12:43 am
CMW has a K+N type with a rain shield. But I don't think rain is a big problem, it's under your leg. Backfires, now there's something to think about..... :D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

1Blackwolf1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Looking for the next rebuild project....
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:15 pm
  I'm hoping for decent results when I install the 32mm Amal I just bought at the backdoor blowout sale.  But installation will have to wait until early spring here in the land of the frozen tundra.
Will Morrison
2007 500 Military
2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500
2000 Victory V92SC
1976 Suzuki GT185 Rebuilder Special..AKA (Junkyard Dog)
Many, many other toys.
The garage is full.

sopwithdriver

• Skill Junkie
  • Bulleteer
  • always like to keep my audience riveted!
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:00 pm
Yes, I believe it is just that easy. Installed the 30mm FS this past spring and put 4k miles on it over the summer/fall. No issues with the stock jetting. Nice brown plug all the way around. 650' elevation. Runs great! K&N cone unsheilded and the classic FF exhaust. If anything it goes a little flat at WFO but I rarely go there.
Nah, It's supposed to sound like that.

UncleErnie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:01:15 pm
Have you got a pilot's license?  How do you get 93 octane gas?

Anyway, I can't imagine you need an octane that high.  Basically you're riding a lawn mower.
Run what ya brung

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:30 pm
Hello,

Can someone kindly tell me what size jets come with the flatslide as standard?

BR. Andy

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:46 pm
Hello,
Can someone kindly tell me what size jets come with the flatslide as standard?
BR. Andy

Mine came with the #140 and 142 main jets and 38 and 25 slow jets.
                  - Mike

'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

nisonov

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:33 am
Thanks for the info Mike!

-Andy-