Author Topic: Issues with early AVLs?  (Read 4327 times)

LJRead

on: January 24, 2008, 01:18:25 am

Occasionally I have heard rumors of problems with early AVL engines.  One rumor was to the effect that pre 2002 AVLs had "lots of problems".  The other was that the early ones had aluminum tappets which tended to bend.  Sometime later the AVL was upgraded with new alloy tappets.  I will soon have two of the AVL bikes on hand, one a used 2003, the other a new 2002.  I am wondering what teething problems there were and what was done to upgrade them.  Also when were these changes, if any, made?

The two engines will be in the 350 class but I imagine similar issues occurred with the 500s.  Maybe, though, these problems had been worked out by the time CMW started to import them.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:51:16 am
Aluminium tappets? Could that be true? Lawnmowers don't even come with aluminium tappets. You got me interested in avl engines, it's off to the web.....
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:54:26 am by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

LJRead

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:12 am
I probably have it wrong - probably meant pushrods :(

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:09:25 pm

classics have aluminium pushrods, yes?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:29:55 am

classics have aluminium pushrods, yes?

The classics have steel pushrods as far as I know.  Have to put a magnet on them next time the tappet cover is off to be sure.  High performance light alloy pushrods are an add-on for the classic engine.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:10:09 am
The classics have steel pushrods as far as I know.  Have to put a magnet on them next time the tappet cover is off to be sure.  High performance light alloy pushrods are an add-on for the classic engine.

The classics have aluminum pushrods with steel ends pressed into them.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"