Author Topic: A few questions from a newbie  (Read 1645 times)

rolyak

• Scooter
on: December 31, 2010, 03:02:48 am
I just bought a 2000 Bullet and have problems starting. The PO had a performance exhaust installed but it was rusted with cracked welds, installed the OE exhaust (included) Also has a pancake air filter. Question #1 what jets should it have and is 24mm the best float level?

I'll reset the timing at .8mm  (.033") ASAP

Question #2, I have the bushing kit for the left side shifter but I don't think I have the correct instructions, just crude pictures of two levers. I think there is a more concise set of instructions?

Question #3, the PO said to use 20W-50 in the gearbox however after pouring over the forum it seems this gearbox should use type OO grease (which I have) Will that make it more difficult to kick over? I really am trying to hold down expenses.

Here's what I've done so far:

> It's in the garage at about 45F.
> Cleaned the plug, bead blasted it. Nice blue spark with battery charged
> Replaced the intake hose, head to carb.
> Cleaned the inline fuel filter, replaced the fuel lines
> Fresh gas
> Cleaned the carb, new gaskets,orings, needle and seat. Everything looked
> OK
> Float set at 24MM, accidently ruined the float, had to install new float
> Pilot air screw, turn and a half out.
> Does not flood, just acts like not getting fuel.
> Using the starting procedure in the Snidel manual and on the RE forum.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:14:15 am
Hi rolyak,

Congrats on your Bullet and welcome aboard.

Below is a link about carb settings that may be helpful
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3955.0.html

Type 00 grease is for the gear box unless it has had the sealed bearing conversion in which case gear oil could be used.

20w50 is typical for the engine and the primary chain case.

Many Electric Start owners use ATF in the chain case per the latest factory service Bulletin.

Is the float bowl filling with fuel when you turn the tap on ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 03:34:34 am
Welcome aboard! I nad been a long time lurker and bought my bullet 11 days ago ;D Hang in there and the pros will be all over the place helping you out. Got any pics of the bike ?

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:56 am
just to add 20/50 oil should (or can) be used FOR TOPPING UP the gearbox , you are right "oo" and he is right "20/50"
arthritis hurts at my age!

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:33:48 pm
Welcome to the Enfield clinic.We will try to keep you alive,but it may be a close call for a bit.If you are not getting any result from start attempts you are missing one or more of the main ingredients.Spark,fuel,air.Drain or otherwise check for fuel in carb.Install NEW plug.I have best luck with NGK.Be sure your leg is still bent at the knee at end of kick,this can hurt otherwise.If all is good with the necesities and nothing going on,and if you have spark,fuel,etc,SOMETHING will be happening-backfires,kickbacks and so on.Need to make sure the tappets are adjusted properly although with my bike this is an issue after warm up.Anyway,if still no firing timing may be too far off.They LOVE to backfire or kickback or both,and will do it whenever possible,it does not always mean much.I think most Bullets do not want any throttle until a few thumps at least with the throttle closed.This was one of my main issues with Jolly in the beginning as I just could not seem to realize I had to leave the throttle  alone until Jolly was thumping away on its' own.

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:05:30 pm
You say it isn't flooding...acting like not getting  gas...   I am pretty sure  you need to drop 1-2 pilot jet sizes  just for return to the more restricted  exhaust...especially if you  used the silencer also. Only other culprit for lack of fuel in a situation were it should be running very rich is the float level or possibly the petcock. I would completely eliminate Timing issues and see if she fires with a small amount of fuel down carb throat.  Best guess is float lvl...your bike should be running rich if the jets haven't been changed.. Welcome to the forum.
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:55:02 pm
rolyak, the posts above are all spot on ! much good sound advice from the bothers.

Take notes for sure.

BTW if no one has yet suggested getting Pete Snidals and/or the factory super service manual and the factory parts book let me be the first. It will be monies well spent.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 05:07:03 am
Amen on the manuals.Gives you something to give your mind a rest.Or your eyes something to look at while you figger out the latest tease.They are way better than nothing.Or something to do while WE figger it out.I am  not very good at the long distance thing,but I do manage to fumble thru.So far.......

rolyak

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:15:27 am
Thanks, all of those manual plus points, plug and condenser are on my list. 8)

Went back into the carb today: has a 135 main- 30 pilot jet- the needle jet is marked 0-8 - the needle is set on the second lowest groove. Rechecked float level slightly less than 24mm.

Disassembled the petcock, could find no restrictions, fuel seemed to flow freely. Using 87 octane.

Started about three times but died immediately. Hand choking or ether did not help. Plug was not wet nor could not detect any gas smell on the plug?

Reset the timing at .8mm (.033") BTDC I think I'm doing this correctly using a dial indicator.

Compression not checked but can stand on the kick starter takes several seconds to leak down.

Can anyone recommend a main jet and position for the needle. A #25 pilot was included with the spare parts. 110 is stock but have read that may be too lean.

Will check the carb mounting flange and run a compression test ASAP. Suspect it's something pretty simple. ::)

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 05:20:52 am
Thanks, all of those manual plus points, plug and condenser are on my list. 8)

Went back into the carb today: has a 135 main- 30 pilot jet- the needle jet is marked 0-8 - the needle is set on the second lowest groove. Rechecked float level slightly less than 24mm.
Can anyone recommend a main jet and position for the needle. A #25 pilot was included with the spare parts. 110 is stock but have read that may be too lean.
 Place the clip on your main in the middle. If some improvement then continue up the needle till optimum. main size should be fine with out a enrichend slide, though not the greatest. If your going to buy a richer slide then you might get away with a leaner main.
  The pilot a touch rich for your set up I'm guessing but should be close enough. Try running in the idle bleed all the way and back off a 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Try start with and with out choke. I take it that  there is currently NO popping in the exhaust with cold engine or even warm. If you get a bit of exhaust pop after engine warm then back it out anther 1/8 to 1/4. You can live  with this set up but it will mean constant fidgeting with the pilot bleed. It should be ok since it is on the slightly rich side. If it starts and idles better with adjustment in so tight then you might need a 27.5 pilot, If the screw has to be closed to have ANY effect then definitely need a tighter jet...try your #25 and start it off with about 3 full turns open. After 3.5 turns out  there is no effective difference.  
  Or you can open up your silencer and or head pipe a little bit to give it extra flow (ham handed drill surgery)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:34:04 am by 500KsGerry »

rolyak

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:18 pm
So much good advice! Turned the idle bleed out 1/8 turn-used no throttle-no "choke" with ignition on, only during priming strokes. Did have the air cleaner off and initially hand choked it.  8)

Did not try to rev it, gave it a minute or so to warm up, then it responded OK. :D

Hated to shut it down as I have almost never been able to restart it. Was able to restart several times with one or two kicks. ;D

Thanks to Y'all!!

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:37 am
Did not try to rev it, gave it a minute or so to warm up, then it responded OK. :D

Hated to shut it down as I have almost never been able to restart it. Was able to restart several times with one or two kicks.

Good job, knew you could do it. Running without the filter causes a lean condition. will run better  with it on. Now that she will idle for you the main can be messed with.  Since you have so low mileage on the engine holding off on a free flow exhaust may not be a bad idea however,  If you put a Enfield shorty muffler on your stock head pipe your current jets should be very close to what is needed to lean everything back out a wee bit. Minor carb tweeks of course but I think you will be about set. Careful during break-in procedure. When carburetor is off it's better to be rich than Lean. Too rich can wash out rings but too lean will burn up everything in the top end. A little rich is always safer...I like this 'incase my rides go up in elevation. Plug change and or clean up is cheap.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:03:04 am by 500KsGerry »

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:24:12 am
Ya,that's cool.Kinda relieved.Amazing how such a simple pleasure can be so gratifying,ain't it.