Author Topic: Small seep from tappet cover with wingnut set up  (Read 2573 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:34 am
Hey guys, the other day at the dealer i bought the chrome tappet cover with the Royal Enfield logo in red on it. I topped it off with the one sided wing nut. Anyway, today i noticed that it was seeping a little from the stud/nut area. I wasn't sure what to reuse at the time of install so i simply put the new cover on and wing nut, no washers or o-rings etc. What could i put in between the wing nut and cover to seal it? Not a biggie but something i figured would pop up. And of course i would like to make it right. Thanks!

Lahti35

• Currently Enfield-less!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • The Department of Redundancy Deptartment.
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:59:42 am
I have used a copper washer, rubber O ring, and fiber gasket at various times and they all seem to work pretty good. Fiber washer has been on there since the last inspection and no leaks.
'03 Ex-Electric start 500....gone but not forgotten...

I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:59 am
My experience is as above with same results.  Current seal is copper.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 05:39:35 am
Ok thanks guys, so just one washer of any the ones listed and then the wing nut? I should have known better but neither part with came washers so i thought it was ok. That little voice was talking and i should have listened lol. 

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:45 pm
The copper washer didn't work for me. I had to use the metal washer with the o-ring welded to it. Got it from Hitchocks it is the washer used for this application on a Bullet 65
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

mbevo1

• Grand Gearhead
  • Mike and Stumpy
Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 01:51:30 pm
I put a rubber washer under it... no leaks.  Change it out once a season...

Mike and Stumpy in Michigan
'07 Classic - Stumpy
'10 C5 Military - Sherman

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:49 pm
Hey guys, finally got around to getting some parts today and tried it out. At first i used a rubber flat washer but once it got tightened a little it would kinda squeeze out and then start folding over the edges of the wingnut. Right now i have a little oring under it which was also a pain to kinda keep seated while tightening the wingnut. It should probably work but i might do the fiber one as its a bit harder. I even used a chrome washer over the rubber washer and o ring to just sandwich them and keep them put while tightening the wingnut but it still didn't work. Any ideas guys?

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:23 am
Copper sealing washer  ;D
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 01:41:30 am
Copper sealing washer  ;D

Hey thanks. Ya i thought about it but am trying to keep it all even looking as far as metal finishes. Right now the cover and wingnut are chrome so that copper one might stick out a little ya know. But if nothing else works then ill do it. I do guess if i found one that wasn't super huge in a diameter and mostly hid under the wingnut base it wouldn't be so bad. Ill scope it out next time at the parts store.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:49:25 am
I have even put an "o"ring between the cover and  a washer on the stud,on the inside of the cover.This worked fine but the "o"ring hardened.I did not have a replacement last time I had the cover of so I used a brass washer behind the nut with some non-hardening sealer.Almost any thing seems to work.But go ahead and think up a new way to do it.My idea was to get the oil stopped on the inside so that I could do a tappet check whenever-wherever without a leak.Then I got to the time when you rarely have to do this anyway.Spend a lotta time figgerin' out unnecessary  fixes.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 02:35:16 pm
I have even put an "o"ring between the cover and  a washer on the stud,on the inside of the cover.This worked fine but the "o"ring hardened.I did not have a replacement last time I had the cover of so I used a brass washer behind the nut with some non-hardening sealer.Almost any thing seems to work.But go ahead and think up a new way to do it.My idea was to get the oil stopped on the inside so that I could do a tappet check whenever-wherever without a leak.Then I got to the time when you rarely have to do this anyway.Spend a lotta time figgerin' out unnecessary  fixes.

Thanks Single. ya im sure any kind of gasket ugly looking or not should work as there really isn't any pressure in that area etc. I guess it just needs something to seal. Didn't think of the inner seal but might try that too. Next time i hit the auto store ill get a copper washer to have on hand anyway and use if needed. Its one of those stupid things that drives ya nuts and should be easy to fix but isn't lol. I was all excited when i got my nice rubber washer and chrome washer and figured it would be a nice 2 second job that looked good and worked good. Not!!!!!! lol

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 05:38:50 pm
Hey guys, think i found a good solution to this today and it should work great. Hopefully it helps anyone with the same issue/situation. Was at Menards in the hardware aisle and i saw a bin with "bonded washers". Opened it up and knew right away this was it. Its basically a flat rubber washer bonded to a regular flat metal washer. So when tightening it wont pinch or bind as its attached all the way around to the metal one. Another cool thing is that it went on nice and tight too. The stud is like 5/16 or 8mm. Got the 5/16 bonded washer(only standard) and i actually had to "thread" the washer on as the rubber was nice and tight on the stud. Spun the wingnut on and it tightened up nice and i saw the rubber squeeze out a little all around so a nice tight even seal. I aslo put a chrome washer over the bonded one too just to make it blend with the chrome tappet cover. Not necessary but i am picky like that. Hope it helps someone!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 05:39:58 am
Pics or it didn't happen  ;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 02:19:34 pm
Pics or it didn't happen  ;D

Haha Ice i swear im not lying lol. Ill try to get out there later and take pics of it. I have motivation cause i gotta take pics of that little breather filter i put on to the big clear hose that comes off the catch can that used to go to the stock air box. I also did a few more things that last couple days. Nothing major but i did the chrome chain guard and chrome grab handle under the seat. Ill also get pics of my matching helmet lol. Man im doing alot and not even realizing it until i repeat it all!

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 03:57:57 pm
Ok Ice, took some pics. There are a few. The first shows the cover installed with the wingnut and everything mounted up. There are a few after that show the "bonded washer", then the chrome washer over it, and all buttoned up. Not sure how well the seal was captured but i can assure everyone that it is good all around and should keep it dry. Im picky so these things can bug me. Satisfied now. The other pics in the album show the chrome chain guard, chrome seat grab handle, my new license plate(just registered it) with chrome frame and union jack bolts, and the matching helmet i got for s steal.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2246767770050883698MpyJYU