Author Topic: Royal Enfield flattracker  (Read 4580 times)

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
on: December 29, 2010, 01:19:59 am
I hesitate to do this but I am so excited that I can wait no more. Here's a picture of the first, yet to be completed, flattrack C5 that we have in development. I don't want to give many details yet but I can say we have many exciting conversion parts in development as we go forward. The whole project is designed around a UCE engine C5 but we repalce forks, triple trees, seat, bars, swingarm, brakes and some other tidbits.
Since this is meant to be a development mule for a streettracker we will be fitting front brake, lights and turn signals as well.
The first step is to build a serious flattrack base. We expect this bike to handle very well and be very light. This will be extensively track tested before we move on to the next steps. The second step is to then take that completed chassis and fit it with all the parts to make it legal to register for the street. The last and final step will be the development of our performance motor kits. We have done some wild street/strip/roadrace/flattrack motors in the past and this allows us to develop some pretty good pieces for the Royal Enfield.
Down the road expect to see kits for a complete racer and kits that allow you to build various stages of streettracker....mild to wild.
I welcome your comments and hope to hear what you think.
Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca
Royal Enfield and Triumph
www.douglasmotorcycles.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:13:42 am
You may be sorry that you threw this beautiful chunk of meat to the wild things on this forum .They have an insatiable appetite for stuff like this.  I will be up to see it in a couple of weeks.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:28 pm
I hesitate to do this but I am so excited that I can wait no more. Here's a picture of the first, yet to be completed, flattrack C5 that we have in development. I don't want to give many details yet but I can say we have many exciting conversion parts in development as we go forward. The whole project is designed around a UCE engine C5 but we repalce forks, triple trees, seat, bars, swingarm, brakes and some other tidbits.
Since this is meant to be a development mule for a streettracker we will be fitting front brake, lights and turn signals as well.
The first step is to build a serious flattrack base. We expect this bike to handle very well and be very light. This will be extensively track tested before we move on to the next steps. The second step is to then take that completed chassis and fit it with all the parts to make it legal to register for the street. The last and final step will be the development of our performance motor kits. We have done some wild street/strip/roadrace/flattrack motors in the past and this allows us to develop some pretty good pieces for the Royal Enfield.
Down the road expect to see kits for a complete racer and kits that allow you to build various stages of streettracker....mild to wild.
I welcome your comments and hope to hear what you think.
Art

That bike is junk now,,,,send it to me for proper disposal  ;) :D ;D 8)

All humor aside, are you guys in league with scotterbob and ACE Cafe?

and on a serious note,,,what kind of performance are you guys conservatively guesstimating and what price points are you shooting for?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:03:05 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:53:48 pm
Oh Hell Yea
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:37 pm
More,pleze.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:47:40 pm
very nice..  I like it

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 06:26:33 pm
Very cool !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:02:22 pm
It's looking nicer than the Fury so far.  Flat-tracker or not, its a Royal Enfield and the Fury's tail section looks like it belongs on another bike, in another time.  This one looks like its heading in a better direction.  I'm very curious what you are thinking for the tail light and rear indicators.

I love seeing so much of the rear tire.  Looks like the small toolbox mounts have been cut off?  Those tires look so mean I want to see as much of them as possible.  Unless a number plate is going in which would be great  ;)

Those horns are huge - I might wanna swap them with some shorter moto bars.  A smaller than usual light would be cool too. 

Look forward to more pics as things progress.  Cool stuff.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:48 pm
Well guys, now we are getting into the difficulty of the time involved in development! I know you want answers to price, performance and availability issues.

At this time I don't want to get into any of those and partially because all I could do is guess and I'd likely be very wrong on all accounts. Our goals right now are development of parts and then we will race it for chassis development continued work. We're months away from having anything more to say. Although I could sell swingarms and adjustable triple trees right now, they are useless if we don't be sure it works as intended

I will promise though to keep you informed of progress. It looks like exciting times are coming for us all as Royal Enfield gets more notoriety and development. Flattrack racing does not begin locally here until next March so we have some time to go.
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 07:33:52 pm
We Want Details ;D We Want Details  8) We Want Details ;D We Want Details  8)  

Whats the swing arm made of ?

Is it any longer or wider ?

What tires have you got on that thing ?

Whats the disc brake rear all about ?

Whats the specs on the front end ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

( Kevin warned you about teasing the wild things  ;D )

Much success to you in this endeavor
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 07:36:17 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 07:43:43 pm
Looks good, in fact, these lines should be used on the Fury if it ever comes to the states.

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:13:34 pm
This swingarm is steel. We will later develop a aluminum race swingarm. It's wider and honestly as wide as it can be to stil fit the frame without hitting as the swingarm swings to negative angle.

It's about 2" longer than stock.

The tires are race only flattrack tires from Maxxis. There are others made by Goodyear that are race only (ie: not DOT approved). There are similar sized DOT tires available to get "the look" on the street and be legal as well.

The disk brake is what we are working on with the conversion. It will use a brake arm for support. The swingarm is designed for a brake arm. We're getting away from using a drum and this means going to a hydraulic setup so besides brake carriers and lines we are making a bracket to mount the master cylinder. The prototype setup is almost done and we designed it to be adjustable for footpeg height to try out various setups. We're also making a bracket for the shifter side of course. Both are made of aluminum and hold Bates style footpegs.

The front end is using Yamaha R6 43mm full adjustable fork legs in adjustable clamps. An alternative would be to use Honda F3 forks. Soon this bike will go to Racetech for fork changes and new rear shocks. THe shocks we use are yet to be speced out though.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:33 pm
 Art, what kind of Head stock Bearings/ Races are you using? You know, for the Honda or Yami conversion.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:04 pm
Very nice.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:47 pm
Ice, no we are not in league with anyone. We're just an independent dealer that has been exclusive Triumph for several years and are one of the first few dealers that Kevin set-up here in California.

We have been flattrack racing for many years and also roadrace and Supermoto. We have not been racing something we sell though so we're pretty excited that we can make that opportunity with Royal Enfield.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 11:31:55 pm
We are not using yamaha or honda bearing conversions on the headstock. Right now it's all Royal Enfield.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 12:14:53 am
What kind of class would you be racing in?  What is the competition?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:32:55 am
If I'm racing it would be Vet 35+ mostly. I race my Husky flattracker in that and some other classes. So the point being the RE will be exposed to some serious bikes.

Just so you know what we have here, the last race I was at included national number 37 Jimmy Woods, AMA superbike champ Josh Hayes (who won the vet class) and former MotoGP rider John Hopkins. We get some serious competitors here.

Art
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 03:57:17 am
Art,

All I can say is I LIKE IT!   Very nice indeed.

"Mamma loves Short Track, Short Track, Short Track, but what Mamma really loves is the Mile!"

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:12:29 am by Bill Harris »

72westie

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:24:30 pm
Looks real NICE!!!
2001 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Race Bike:
2008 Ahrma Classic 60's #1 Plate
2009 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
2010 AMA Vintage 50's #1 Plate
http://www.bgmotorcycle.com

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:29 pm
Boy,this is some pretty neat stuff.Good luck to ya.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 01:25:28 pm
Did this project ever make it any further?

douglasmoto

• Scooter
  • Top 100 dealer winner
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 07:32:15 pm
We completed the total "look" and it was ridable and then we decided to re-work alot of the details. We initially had a swingarm that was not something we had to make from scratch but we decided we needed to do it from scratch. This along with a variety of other items put the project on hold since the picture attached last year. RIght now, we are back into it and the swingarm prototype plus the brake system are in prototype stage. So, finally getting more progress after 1 year + on hold.
Doug Douglas Motorcycles
San Bernardino, Ca

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 02:01:54 am
Wow, great stuff!

Any chance that exhaust will be available for purchase and retrofittable to the older models?  :)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 02:17:01 pm
Man this looks so mean!

Great work douglasmoto!

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:38 am
that looks great!!
what size are the tires.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:12 pm
Any chance that exhaust will be available for purchase and retrofittable to the older models?  :)

Ditto on that. That exhaust is niiice.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:44 pm
I like the way the seat valance fits around the shock mount so nicely.
Cool.
Home of the Fireball 535 !