Author Topic: My battery box lock mod :)  (Read 3351 times)

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
on: December 28, 2010, 09:44:20 pm
Hey guys, figured id throw out what i did to my bike today. I have had my bike for literally 9 days and hate the battery box lock mechanism lol. So here is what i did.

Popped the lock out of course with its clip
Bought a 5/16-18 coupler nut. Its got a pretty big body that is probably like 3/4 OD. All they had was 1.75 inch lengths and i had to trim to 1.5. This serves 2 functions. Its a brace for the backside of the battery box on the bottom, and it also keeps the bottom part of the battery cover from bending in when tightening.

I wanted all stainless so i went with a 5/16-18 x 2..5" inch long hex bolt. In stainless the bolts were only threaded halfway so i had to use a die and go all the way down with the threads. From the back tab where the original lock hooked in to, i ran the hex bolt with a big washer and a lock washer out towards the left of the bike. On the other side of the tab i did the same with a big washer and lock nut. At that point i cranked on both the coupler nut(now all the way on to the bolt and tightened them to each other. This created a threaded stud with a nice solid base(coupler nut).

From there i popped the cover on and used a washer 1 inch in diameter to cover the hole where the lock assembly used to be. tightened all up with a stainless wing nut. I think it looks old school and is very solid. It should stay put but if not i can use like an acorn nut or something instead. Point is all the fastening hw is there for whatever you like to finish it with.

I believe its also a nice secure system and you shouldn't have to worry about anything backing out on the backside and hitting the chain etc. let me know what you guys think:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/579372477KTEsZr

texabilly

• texas hillbilly
  • Scooter
  • cuz brando didn't have elec start either
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:18 pm
Def looks good. Let's hope she stays. I can't begin to tell you all the things that have vibrated off my bullet. It must be the harmonics of the single thumper but I've lost all sorts of nuts & bolts as well as my muffler & gear shifter!  Everything I touch now gets at least blue loctite if not red. But like I said looks good & hope it stays. Congrads on yer purhase btw!

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:23 pm
Thanks! Ya i hope. I am feeling good about the internals you dont see but lets see how the wing nut does. I know Ive seen wing nuts with nylon inserts so if i come across one i'll do that for sure. That should really help keep it put. If not ill cut the stud down a bit and go with some kind of chrome or stainless finishing acorn nut.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:43 pm
Enfield wingnuts were originally "one winged" . Being out of balance would tend to keep them from running off. Check some old pics to see what I mean.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:02:21 pm
Enfield wingnuts were originally "one winged" . Being out of balance would tend to keep them from running off. Check some old pics to see what I mean.

Ya i hear ya. I have that set up on my tappet cover, but menards didn't have any of those haha. Its s start though and like i said, you can use any type of fastening piece with the set up.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:24:09 am
Clean,simple,effective practical and affordable mod.

WIN !   ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 05:07:19 am
Clean,simple,effective practical and affordable mod.

WIN !   ;)

Thanks Ice! I just couldn't deal with that lock anymore. What a pain. I just like my options as i can change the fastener at any point. The actual mounting part is solid as can be though and i have no doubts in its ability to hold up in the future.

Being pumped up about having success with that, i decided to knock out the chain part of the maintenance list. Cleaned it all up(wasn't that bad really) and re-lubed it all for a fresh start in my ownership. Just knocking things out everyday ,feels good.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 06:48:28 am
I like the looks of the Wingnut but you'd better use some type of
lock washer...   these thing throb and vibrate like you wouldn't believe...
                           - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 02:49:11 pm
                           - Mike

Ya for sure. Ill come up with some sort of locking piece to put on there so it doesn't come off. Still feeling out what i want to do.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 02:51:45 pm
                           - Mike
That's what she said.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 02:57:12 pm
Nice job XJ, Mine just fell apart last night; I'll be using your mod, THANKS, Joe.
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:25 pm
Nice job XJ, Mine just fell apart last night; I'll be using your mod, THANKS, Joe.

Thanks Joe, what a compliment ;D One more thing to do as i did it last night, put one more fender type washer(or any with about a 1 inch diameter that the bolt will go through) and slip it over the stud right before you but the cover on. When tightening up it prevents the stud assembly from wanting to pull through the hole in the battery box.

r80rt

• C5 Pilot
  • Grand Gearhead
  • R.I.P Papa Juan, Uncle Ernie
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:44:42 pm
Good mod, I like it.
On the eighth day God created the C5, and it was better looking than anything on the planet.
Iron Butt Association

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 08:24:02 pm
My '99 just has a long screw holding the cover on. Seems to work well; but i think it is a differant configuration than the newer RE.
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 09:29:28 pm
greekxj, used your mod today with some slight alterations. brass 1/4 X 2 screw through fender washer, original tab,fender washer, lock washer, coupler nut, fender washer, batt.cover, brass washer, lockwasher, wingnut. All stainless inside & brass outside. Thanks for the idea, looks good. Joe
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:30:25 pm
a guy could grind off one wing . that would unbalance it and it could'nt vibrate off  i think.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:02:11 pm
greekxj, used your mod today with some slight alterations. brass 1/4 X 2 screw through fender washer, original tab,fender washer, lock washer, coupler nut, fender washer, batt.cover, brass washer, lockwasher, wingnut. All stainless inside & brass outside. Thanks for the idea, looks good. Joe

Great! Glad it worked for you too. The beauty of it is you can pretty much use any fastener you desire on the outside for whatever look you are going for. But the assembly itself behind the cover is key. I updated mine and bought a wingnut with a nylon insert. No way its going anywhere now. Only part i dont like is its not stainless but what can ya do.