Author Topic: wet sumping demo  (Read 3871 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: January 23, 2008, 08:17:20 pm
If you want to see what wet sumping looks like just let your bike idle on the side stand.The oil in the crankcase runs to the left side and the pickup is on the right. mine will do it after 15 seconds and quit allmost instantly when you upright the bike to ride.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:28:42 pm
Surely if it's below the level of the pick up this cannot be considered true wet dumping because when you level the bike the pick up works again, l had a few triumphs when l was a lot younger and they would wet sump even if the bike was level, the correct diagnosis would be allow the bike to run then stop and drain the oil in the sum and measure the volume, sadly as l found out the bike was wet sumping due to porousity in the crank case, required complete engine rebuild and new cases, based on my experience this is not an example of wet sumping because the oil is below the pick up and returns to normal when you level the bike.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:39 pm
If you idle on side stand, make sure you are holding onto the bike.  As Ace told me, and I later found out on my own, the bike can "walk off" the side stand if left on idle.