Author Topic: G5 stalled - barely reached storage !  (Read 9867 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 07:27:41 pm
petrol does not ice up?

The more viscous hydrocarbons contained within petrol will become solid within a wide range of atmospheric temperatures. However, the aromatic hydrocarbons will not solidify until around -129 degrees Centigrade to around -185 degrees Centigrade - the composition of the petrol again plays a part in this.

To summarise, if you asked what was the freezing point of petrol I would have said anything between -71.7 degrees Centigrade and -185 degrees Centigrade.

was it "realy" that cold?

That is a very good point freddy. If moisture were to get into the fuel, how would it effect it's freazing point, If at all?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 07:32:07 pm
Will ice float on petrol?

No, the density of frozen water is less than petrol's.

lumps of ice in your tank will block your inlet

arthritis hurts at my age!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 07:53:00 pm
@Singh Ji- Was it a kind of squealing noise from the tank?

@SSR - Sat Sree Akaal ji.  Wishing you happy new year !

It is a sharp pitched buzz or squeal or 'beep' or 'teeeeeeeeeen'  - You can hear it in my video that I had recently posted on youtube  (link below).

The sound can be heared between 14 to 16 seconds of the video (behing the music), where I turn ignition key on and the check light comes on for three seconds.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_lO019fC2o
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:41:33 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 08:00:31 pm
hi,hi, I had something similar a while ago.  It turned out to be a connector up under the headlight area slowly coming apart and making and breaking contact especially on right hand turns. It finally parted and the bike stopped.  A search up under there soon found it and when pushed firmly together norm service was restored.  Is the main power feed from the battery to the ignition switch which then goes through the kill switch and then on to the fuel pump. The intermittent connection making the fuel pump pressurise the system everytime contact was made. Have a furkle roundm and good luck.

@Shappers -  Can you post a picture of the location of that connection that was intermittently going on and off ?  Or are you frozen like us too ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 08:05:51 pm
 Singh, IF it turns out to be ice in the fuel line, here's a good product our fleet mechanics use. Sometimes on cold mornings our lines are frozen on our vans  this time of year.But, not so much anymore since they changed the fuel storage tank ;)

http://drygas.com/html/gas_line_antifreeze.html

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 08:20:16 pm
Singh, IF it turns out to be ice in the fuel line, here's a good product our fleet mechanics use. Sometimes on cold mornings our lines are frozen on our vans  this time of year.But, not so much anymore since they changed the fuel storage tank ;)
  http://drygas.com/html/gas_line_antifreeze.html

Will ice float on petrol?
No, the density of frozen water is less than petrol's.
lumps of ice in your tank will block your inlet

@GHG - @Enfield Freddy

I have been using Star Tron fuel stabilizer in the motorcycle that has worked very well for the gas.  The bike started FIRST kick !  But as you and Enfield Freddy are discussing / suggesting that the fuel line may have some blockage - ice ?  

Isn't drygas the same as isopropanol - same as Heet Plus used in cars ?  What is this new and improved fuel storage tank that you mentioned does not require drygas anymore ?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:39:27 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 08:28:12 pm
@GHG -

You are right on - as if the pump is trying to prime.  The question is - Is it electronic circuit pushing the pump to keep priming or is it that the pump is unable to reach certain required pressure due to blockage ?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:40:29 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:09 pm
 I'm not saying it's definitely is ice singh, but maybe? If there an electric hook up at the storage place, try a hair dryer, or wait a couple of days until its above freezing, ya know?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 09:47:19 pm
@GHG - @Enfield Freddy

I have been using Star Tron fuel stabilizer in the motorcycle that has worked very well for the gas.  The bike started FIRST kick !  But as you and Enfield Freddy are discussing / suggesting that the fuel line may have some blockage - ice ?  

Isn't drygas the same as isopropanol - same as Heet Plus used in cars ?  What is this new and improved fuel storage tank that you mentioned does not require drygas anymore ?
Like they "may" have been getting water into the tank ;) That stuff your using looks to be pretty good, it seems like it will do the same thing as the drygas. Can't see the MSDS though. This the stuff, correct?

http://www.starbrite.com/sproductdetail.cfm?ID=1537

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 10:13:14 pm
@GHG

That is the correct one.  The manufacturer does not disclose the ingredients nor shows MSDS of Star Tron.  It has been used in boats and marine engines.  They have a detailed description of what it does, in the link below.

http://www.starbrite.com/whatsnew/Startron_Story_V2.pdf
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:33 am
Pret-ty cool singh, microbs in gas, huh? Those little sucker's can live anyware aye? Maybe they need a good shot of alcohol to thin em' out a bit :D
Didn't  someone here, not long ago, besides shapers, have a similar issue? Something about the connections at the fuel pump, low voltage, etc. Remember?

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:43:09 am
Sounds like the injection does not get enough gas.
- Gas lost stability because of to much ethanol content?
- Tank breather blocked?
- Rubbish in the tank blocking the outflow?
Not the coolest temperatures to tinker with a bike over there in Jersey these days, hm? Hope you won´t bog in the snow, Singh  :)
Maybe the fuel pump is on strike, buzzing around. Fortunately I never had any trouble with fuel pumps, so I don´t know how to recon a broken one.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:47:52 am by Maturin »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 06:36:02 am
Most of the dry gas type gas anti-freeze products are just 100% alcohol, usually methyl but any type of 100% alcohol from the hardware store will do.  It mixes with the water and then takes it through the engine.

If there is water it can freeze and get to any part of the system.  Sink or float the gas gets well shaken when you ride.

Something else could be blocking the fuel intake.  Some people have had paint inside the tank flake of and clog up the works. 

As to whether the vent may be plugged,easy to check.  Start and run until it coughs.  Open the gas cap and listen for a 'whoosh' as it sucks in air, you may not hear it but start the bike.  If it runs fine again there's a good chance the vent is blocked.

Hope this all helps.

Scott

SSR

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:09 pm
@Singh Ji,

Nave saal deya tuhanu we mubarkaa.

I heard the noise in the video. I had similar noise coming from the pump  on priming. I had that issue under said conditions.

1.During monsoons when bike started after a day or so(I had the pig squeal).

2.Very rarely if the reserve fuel light is on.

3.When the fuel tank lid breather hole is clogged.

4.Moisture in tank.

Usually it gets resolved by taking her for a long ride and filling up the tank with good quality fuel.

Personally I feel its due to moisture in tank which kind of jams up the pump.

What shaper is talking about is the ignition switch connector.

Domestic C5 ignition switch connector wiring consist of only two wires(red red/white) although the ignition switch has 4, same as export C5.

Due to the poor quality of the few connectors on wiring loom, the thimbel on the ignition switch wiring connector comes loose.

Few people in India had faced the issues with the ignition switch. Its mostly due to water getting into the ignition switch and tends to cut the ignition on and off randomly.

But if it was in your case then you would hear the pump priming again and MIL light coming on as usual.

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 10:50:25 am
Only quickly read thro this post.--but page 98 of my manual says "Engine starts, but runs irregularly and stops, --faulty fuel supply.(fuel pump filter blocked) --- remove fuel pump and clean"

There is no maintenance notes etc in the manual for the pump, but there must be a filter to clean at some point.
Will be interesting to hear what you find.