Author Topic: Stainless spokes  (Read 5982 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: December 26, 2010, 07:15:19 pm
I have a G-5 (green) and am unpacking a new Euro style Cozy sidecar in primer with plans to paing in matching green with gold pinstriping and reupholstry both bike and sidecar in medium brown leather.  I got almost 50 sq ft of leather for about $85.  Also got about 23 sq ft of heavy leather in same color for possible saddlebag and tool bag use.  In unpacking the sidecar I noticed a bit of rust on a few spokes.  These cleaned up easily with a Scotch-Brite pad.  They seem to be the same spokes used on the G-5, just different lengths due to different hubs.  Has anyone had any experience replacing spokes with stainless steel?  Does anyone know of a source of SS spokes?  I have never respoked a wheel, but I have a pair of 20-inch bike wheels on the shop wall for training purposes.  If I were going to try this I would make a jig to hole the wheel and turn it against a pair of dial indicators.  I would replace a few spokes at a time and possibly use a very small torque wrench to adjust final tension.  GA-DK

enfield freddy

• Grand Gearhead
  • old man riding an old bike
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 07:23:46 pm
there you go my friend

part 1: http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebuilding-a-Spoked-Wheel-for-the-Royal-Enfield-Bu/

and part 2:http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebuilding-a-Spoked-Wheel-for-the-Royal-Enfield-Bu-1/

easy job if you read the instructions , print them out

alan

(UK)
arthritis hurts at my age!

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 09:04:30 pm
Buchannanspkes.com for stainless spokes.You don't want to try to replace one spoke at a time. The inners would make you crazy. Don't use a dial gauge just a pointer Its very hard on the gears in the dial gauge and you aren't looking for that kind of precission.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:15:01 pm
Sorry buchannanspokes.com.  when your lacing  a wheel with inners and outters like an enfield put all the inners in hook up the rim them install all the outters. The directions on tht website are the hard way.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:05:23 am
Thanks everyone.  This is what this site is all about.  With both source and method, I will give this a try this spring or summer.  I have enough projects lined up for the present.  The G-5 with sidecar is taking the place of my '32 Morgan which I sold at a nice profit.  My Morgan was road-worthy, but not as much so as the Enfield.  GA-DK