Author Topic: Making my first bike a RE.  (Read 7673 times)

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 01:12:17 pm
Hi Harrumph!
Without a doubt you´ll have a lot of fun with your G5! Just as you, I wanted to rebuild the bike according to my personal taste but found out soon that almost everything works together quite fine so I can spent more money on gas  ;D.

Third, and possibly more interesting to you, during the Barbary wars, he was CO of the Enterprise, who defeated a ship called the Tripoli - he then made them abandon all of their weapons and sail back home empty handed where her captain was immediately relieved.
Andrew Sterett is one of a long list of dedicated sailors of the US Navy who´s deeds were not rewarded in their lifetime.
On Sterett´s own ship, the schooner Enterprize, not a single crew member was harmed in any way, whereas the enemy corsair, crewded by 80 men, suffered 30 dead and 30 wounded.
Yet I don´t think his comment to the execution of a seamen due to cowardice was very smart and is worth remembering, as it caused a great political stir at home, his deeds as a naval officer are beyond question outstanding. The said quote is from his early career onboard the USS Constellation while a fierce battle against a French frigate.
Tragically for the US Navy and for himself, he quit the service soon after his victory over the Tripolean corsair by reason of another officer´s promotion that was preferred to his. He died in the merchant service at the age of 30.
While reserching I found this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-19-sterett-christening_N.htm
I definetely think that´s woth mentioning.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

harrumph

• Scooter
  • Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:49 pm
Yet I don´t think his comment to the execution of a seamen due to cowardice was very smart and is worth remembering, as it caused a great political stir at home, his deeds as a naval officer are beyond question outstanding.
I quite agree in that it wasn't very good for the country to hear just 20 some years after it's founding, but if your goal is to live on in badassery and have four ships named after you, it's a definite success.

In lines with your link, the current Sterett is also going to be known as a life-saver (not the candy). A month or so ago we came across an Indian tanker vessel that had broken down on it's way to the shipyards for an overhaul. Had 13 sailors on board that we were able to bring back to land that otherwise may have been left to die on the open water. I didn't get any of their names, very nice people though.
By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe.